🔷 Schiit Magnius

Hey!

Many thanks for this…I appreciate you taking the time to explain how you analyze stuff…

I do pretty much the same thing…i have a “rat shack” spl meter and made a acoustic coupler and set my levels for approx 75db.

I use the same dac across the board for amp “testing”…and I use a set of well know tracks I play and then the subjective listening starts.

I also have the capability to easily switch in and out amps quickly once level set to do a A/B for a certain track or portion of a track.

Again…thanks for sharing!

Alex

1 Like

Asgard 3 is also Class A magic. :grin:

1 Like

strictly speaking it’s class A/B, so it’s half magic?

Class A up to 500mW I believe, then it transitions to A/B. Schiit’s Continuity circuitry they talk up is their way of smoothing that transition, FWIW.

@Shinidoshi be careful with that “Class A magic” thinking. Class A amps can be warm, wide, and smooth (Schiit’s designs often lean this way) or they can be more neutral to bright and aggressive (GS-X Mini, for example).

4 Likes

Ah okay, good to know. I have already made the switch from the Magnius to the JDS Labs EL 2 amp. I’m loving that amp so far, and 1.3 wpc is good enough to drive my current lineup. Perhaps it will drive the planar headphones I plan to get: the Sundaras and Dekoni Blue.

If I want more power, I’ll most likely get the Asgard 3, cuz I don’t want to deal with balanced cables anymore :sob: Who knows, maybe Schiit will unleash an Asgard 4, and it has 1 watt of Class A Magic? Or perhaps a front-facing switch? :flushed:

But if I do get the Asgard, what happens to my EL 2 amp? Do I just box it in and store it away? Or is there a way I could use both?

I can confirm 1 watt (for example: JDS Atom amp) is enough for T50RPs (I have T50RPs and the JDS Atom). Asgard 3 is 3.5W RMS per channel @ 32 ohms. Don’t get caught in the “but it’s not real class A”. As far as I know, nothing is “real class A” anyway… unless you buy an AVR from the 80s, lol.

1 Like

Real Class A ? Seriously.

A Class A power amplifier is one in which the output current flows for the entire cycle of the AC input supply.

Its as simple as this.

The real or preceivd differences are usually tied to whether the amp is direct coupled or not and selected values of components that might influence the amp,

2 Likes

This is such a weird thing to say. The Asgard 2 is actual class A. So is the RebelAmp, the RNHP, and lots of other amps.

1 Like

RNHP is class A/B biased to class A

1 Like

Fair catch. The point remains it’s not actually hard to find class A amps if you look for them.

There certainly class (A)ssholes on this forum, that’s fo sho

3 Likes

Amazing that the laws of physics can be miss-represented by so many what I call “appliance” operators.

Sad but true…quite evident here…

1 Like

Are you saying the people who are claiming their amps are class A are lying? That’s fascinating. What evidence do you have?

I thought @lost33 's point was class A or not it doesn’t matter as it’s only a design choice, and has no indication as to what an amp might sound like, but that’s only my understanding

3 Likes

There is a technical definition of what a Class A amp is…period. End of Story.

You experts can delve into claims etc…

Class A is what it is.

Period.

2 Likes

Until you realize you’re wrong and the RNHP isn’t Class A (lol) or other amps that are advertised as Class A but aren’t, lol.

What I meant is, at this price point (300$ for the Asgard 3?), most, if not all, the “Class A” things aren’t actually Class A. They’re “Class A/B” or whatever, say they’re “Class A” but don’t even get hot (like the 90$ SMSL sAp-1 – even if it plugs straight into the wall and someone told me 80% of what’s inside is for power), etc. The Asgard 2 was Class A, but probably not worth it, because a lot of people are hyping the Asgard 3 as “too good for the price” – for the same price. It’s like they started at 3: I never heard about the Asgard 2 here in more than one year.

RebelAmp is (apparently?) 100% Class A, but is 500$. GSX Mini is also Class A, but almost 2000$. Singxer SA-1 appears to be Class A but also 600$. We’re on the Schiit Magnius thread. Magnius is 199$.

At Magnius’ price point, is some of the Aune’s offerings or the iFi ZEN CAN truly class A? Also Yulong Canary II I think

1 Like

Y’all might find more info about inexpensive Class A headphone amps here – or even revive the thread – if interested. :slight_smile:

Some amps are Class A “all the time” some are not.
The amps that are not all the time are still Class A amps in the area that they are operating in “Class A”.

This may or may not be important to you or not.

Only your ears can decide this for you.

4 Likes

The RNHP is based on the TI TPA6120A2, an integrated class AB amp.

IIRC, like the RNHP, it is based on the same TPA6120A2 chip, so also Class AB.

1 Like