🔷 Schiit Magnius

Looking forward to reading your impressions and how it stacks up to the Asgard 3 and (hopefully) the THX line of amps :wink:

I also wonder how does the Magnius compare to the A90. The presence of the 2nd order harmonic distortion in a few of the Magnius measurements makes it seem that the sound might be slightly fuller.

Yeah but everybody is obsessed with balanced these days thinking it’s magic or something. Schiit’s just catering to the market.

3 Likes

Yeah quite irritating, it’s almost a selling gimmick to make your product seem better to uninformed consumers at this point

3 Likes

I know man…I’m ragging on you. the comment was taken out of context…when you said it, you weren’t complaining, you were indicating having balanced at this price is really good. :wink:

I know my handle is Marzipan here…but everywhere else I’m Mr. Friendly…and Mr. Friendly isn’t very Friendly, LoL! :wink:

Not really what I was trying to get at but sure lol

1 Like

Worth picking up the magnius + modius stack for balanced headphones?

1 Like

We shall see once people start getting them in lol. The modius is pretty worthwhile for something clean but a bit warmer and smoother, wonder how the magnius is going to be

1 Like

yes and no. what’s happening is what used to be a premium feature has gotten to the point it’s become cost effective to bring out at lower price points.

what we need to be wary of is how good a deployment of the feature it is. quality or namesake only?

I eagerly await your review haha

I don’t review stuff though lol, but I might leave some short impressions here

1 Like

This appears to be considerably well priced. Really interested to see how it stacks up to the THX amps.

I don’t know if I would call it a premium feature, it was moreso a pro feature to start that ended up becoming more common on higher end/enthusiast devices. Kinda like (but not exactly) aes showing up on the modius when like mostly anyone buying a dac at that price point won’t really have a source that outputs aes lol. Just think that the potential benefits of a fully balanced designs aren’t really able to be realized at this price point because of other constraints (and then still this doesn’t mean it would be better than an equally good single ended design from a sound quality perspective). Also not talking about balanced interconnect support, talking about a fully balanced differential design (since stuff like common mode rejection and higher voltages are helpful to have since they can fix issues some people have)

You know what would be a premium feature?

A front fascia on/off switch.

11 Likes

I need this in my life! would look nice with my setup. And maybe I can sell my thx789.

6 Likes

I think it’s about 2 things.

It’s becoming a checkbox item for people, who equate balanced with better.

All things being equal a balanced amp will measure better, the only part of balanced that really matters in a consumer audio device is the internal topology of the amp/dac, the cabling is a none issue for short runs. The balanced topology in an amp rejects noise added by the circuit and power supplies.
Better SiNAD = more sales for at least one group.

1 Like

ASR review is up; as one might expect it measures supremely well except… not so much for SE out. Perhaps Schiit should have “pulled an Erish” and done balanced only?

I wonder if the Valhalla 2 is the same size.

if it is…there’s my stack!!!

Called it lol. Well, I assume they just added the single ended for convenience, but generally yeah if you buy a balanced amp, use it balanced lol

2 Likes

It is disappointing. I am on board for preventing groundloops. Generally would want balanced out of a DAC and in for an amp; it shouldn’t matter for the headphone out on the amp… so much… but clearly here it does.

I’m a big fan of the moves Schitt has been making with driving down the cost of entry to hi-fi audio, and I love that they’re doing it made in the US of A.

I ordered a black Schitt stack to mess around with. I would be surprised if it’s better than what I have currently, but I have a couple of suspicions about my current setup that need clearing up. There’s a decent chance I could have them up for sale here in a few weeks.

1 Like