šŸ”· Schiit Magnius

Itā€™s just what happens when you go for a fully differential design, your single ended has to suffer, itā€™s not uncommon on other fully balanced amps, otherwise you also have to design a whole nother single ended amp inside the amp to get good single ended performance which doesnā€™t make sense from a cost perspective

1 Like

And as you saidā€¦ donā€™t need fully differential to prevent ground loops.

1 Like

I wonder how it compares to the Jotunheim?
Clarification, they seem to have largely the same power output but the Magnius has a couple years of development on it at the very least and Iā€™m wondering if the cost drop from Jot to Mag is a product of years of R&D bringing down the cost
also interested in sound signature differences

Sorry misread what you meant, yeah I agree

1 Like

Regarding balanced, thereā€™s also just a coolness factor to it for people just jumping into hi-fi. I was (arguably still am) that person a few months ago, and if you havenā€™t had experience with SE vs balanced, itā€™s easy to overstate or overthink the difference.

A lot of it is aesthetic really. Itā€™s just cool to use the big chunky XLR plug and calling your setup ā€œbalanced.ā€ I mean, just from a linguistic perspective, being balanced sounds WAY better than being unbalanced, right?

1 Like

Decided to look at the PCB a bit (if someone could find/take some straight down shots of the PCBā€¦)
Is an interesting happening arround those two Op-Amps (LME49724 and OPA 1688 if anyone is interested).

As far as I can tell, the single ended is in paralel with the R+ (or L+) of the balanced.

Buying more than 1000 TI TPA6120A2 (the main amplfier stage in this, as in the RNHP, Topping A90, SMSL sAp-1, etc.) brings the price down to $2.00 per piece, making it cheaper than the LDOs in the power supply of the device :slight_smile:

Good deal or bad deal? lol

To me, good deal.
A lot of hifi-gear makers push the power conditioning to the user. Which IMHO is a garbage practice.

To Schiits partial credit, they have a diode (electronic check valve) in place to protect the device from incorrect polarity barrel plugs. And some capacitors.
Again lacking proper chokesā€¦

Edit: Apparantly the Magnius has an AC input, so that ā€œDiodeā€ may be 4 Diodes in shape of a bridge rectifier.

I donā€™t expect the power supply to deal with 24V DC to 400V 3 phase, but come on! Some input filtering (common mode choke, Class Y filter Caps, etc.) are neither too big nor too expensive to fit into a >100ā‚¬ device.

4 Likes

Reading this new thread reminds me to thank all the knowledgeable people who contribute here, and are so helpful to we who have been helped. THANKS!!! :grinning:

3 Likes

This is an amp that was made to match the Modius in looks and provide a balanced partner. If you wnat stellar SE perf and are into specs for $99 cheaper get the Hersey for SEā€¦BOOM.

The power out for balanced is indeed more for the balanced sideā€¦but at 32 ohms the SE is a ā€œmeaslyā€ 2 watts RMS compared to 5 watts RMS for the balanced sideā€¦

WTF overā€¦how many cans need a full 2 watts RMS pf power??

To me the SE option is not as ā€œbadā€ as some stateā€¦

This is a world class amp for $199 with full balanced and a ā€œslightlyā€ gimped SE side it you can call it that.

2 watts RMS is not gimped IMOā€¦

Alex

2 Likes

how do you think the magnius will mess with the DROP THX amps

Honestly if this thing performs like a balanced RNHP (same chip as mentioned) it might be a GS X Mini killerā€¦

1 Like

Letā€™s not get unreasonable here lol

4 Likes

Heyā€¦for the specs its really closeā€¦

So you dont have 15 pounds of billet aluminum in a caseā€¦hmmm.

And it doesnt cost $2000 + etcā€¦

Understand what your sayingā€¦but look at the specs and compare, and do the blind testingā€¦

Would guess many would be really surprised!!

lol

Alex

I mean for a world class amp it should sound world class, not only look the part on paper

I havenā€™t been surprised yet then lol, although honestly I canā€™t say that I have really heard anything world class outside of a few things (that are unreasonable to own lol)

1 Like

Understandā€¦ you have to define what world class is in some objective terms?? Many of these touted ā€œworld classā€ amps often state their specs or other glittering adjectives etcā€¦

So here is a $199 amp touting some really great specsā€¦but I do agree its all in the listeningā€¦

I will report back next week after some of thatā€¦

the best!
Alex

You mean like the Topping A90?
That has 4 TPA6120A2ā€™s in there.

Moar chips = moar better, right?

Specs are meh, Spec Sheets are better, assuming one knows how to read them :wink:

2 Likes

Canā€™t say that was the case unfortunately lol

2 Likes

I would say, that Schiit has been knocking it out of the park consistently since the Asgard 3/Bifrost 2. Iā€™m going to be very interested what people think about this amp.

3 Likes

Oh yeahā€¦didnt want to confuse folksā€¦bedside reading 1953 RCA Tube Manual !! or Bob Cordells amplifier design bookā€¦

:grinning: