Schiit Mjolnir 3 Desktop Headphone Amplifier

Well, it seems like the date got pushed back again. Estimated ship date is now 11/30.

So that post that Jason made regarding power output when you switch the amp in to push pull was not correct. It does not pump out 8 watts at that setting. I am still curious to hear the differences between the two modes myself as others have stated that it did make a noticeable difference. I am hoping that they ship starting next week like he said on head-fi actually happens. Then I can add the Mjolnir 3 to my ever growing pile of Schiit: Bifrost 2/64, 2 x Gjallarhorn, & Asgard 3.

1 Like

This is so… tempting to get to pair with the Mjolnir 3! Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in Texas and California
At a $1,000 less than the OG it is a really good deal, but I will hold off for now. :sweat_smile:

1 Like
4 Likes

Jason stated that they are considering keeping the Mjolnir 3 in production. Hopefully so, because that would allow more people the opportunity to try it, and it would make more replacement parts available for repairs for current owners. I added that it would be nice if they would also bring back the Gungnir (over on head-fi).

2 Likes

good salesman

maybe the gumby2 or +. same ole schiit

1 Like

My Mjolnir 3 just shipped, so I guess I will be able to set it up next week.

4 Likes

Mjolnir 3 just arrived, and I will give my full thoughts on it once I have spent some time with it, but first impressions after powering it on are positive. :wink:
I get why people liked it paired with the Bifrost 2/64.

4 Likes

Here is a quick synopsis of Mjolnir 3 in the short time that I have received it.

My set up: PC>AMHD,FLAC,CD>Bifrost 2/64>Mjolnir 3>ZMF Atrium,HD6xx,Focal Elex, Audio Technica ath-ad900.

I have the amp set on high gain, push/pull mode and feedback off. These are the settings I am using to get used to the amp. I will test in single ended class a mode in a few days and I will test with the feedback on and off. I have the bf 2/64 connected to the Mj3 with WBC xlr cables.

I have spent the most time listening to my Atrium’s so far, but tested the Audio Technica’s to see how super easy to drive and efficient headphones work with it…The real short answer good. I did prefer them on low gain. I am listening to my Focal Elex while I am typing this.

The first thing that I noticed was the speed and heft behind the bass…The bass punches hard and you get a really good rumble with the sub bass…It is also very controlled, I think that is due to the power it has and the chokes. I don’t see it running out of power with my set up and my cans.
The Atrium’s are known for their mids being one of there best attributes. They are buttery smooth while still packing a punch.

So what about the sound stage? The background is black. The sound stage is pretty wide. Have I hear wider? Yes, but it is marginal at best. It is also tall and deep…I don’t know how much of that is attributed to the 2/64. I listen to a lot of live music…I tested a few of my favorite recorded live tracks. First was Coldplay (don’t judge me :rofl:) Viva La Vida live at Beunos Aries. The reason I like this track it has a huge crown clapping and singing the entire song, but doesn’t take away from the song. It felt like I was sitting in the center of the concert. The seperation of crowd, instruments and vocals are really really good…It is one of those close your eyes, listen and it feels like you are there. The second was Metallica’s For whom the bells toll from the original S&M. This is where I was completely blown away. The punch from the drums in the beginning of the song, the instrument placement and seperation of the symphony and the detail and clarity was amazing…That isn’t even mentioning how holographic the sound stage was…There were sounds coming from 360 degrees…I kept reaching for the volume knob…lol…It was at this point it turned into a jam session…I went through my library and just started playing everything and anything…Nothing disappointed, and by point and time I had smile from ear to ear and couldn’t quit listening…As I told @ShaneD it was complete sensory overload. I really think it was a blessing in disguise that I cancelled my order on the V222. I am beyond happy with the MJ3 so far…The more I listen the better it gets…Is this my endgame solid state amp? Yes, I don’t see myself needing anything else and at the price point it is going to take something really good to replace it.

I hope this makes sense to you all…I am not the best when it comes to writing reviews like this…It is one of those pieces of gear that you need to listen to whether at a meet up, show or in your chain…I am sure I left some stuff out…If you have any questions just ask and I will answer the best I can.

TLDR: If you are looking for a endgame ss amp and can afford it just order it and be done…If you don;t have the money save up until you do and then order it and be done. It is awesome and definitely performs way beyond the asking price for it and lets not forget the 5 year warranty that comes with it from Schiit.

6 Likes

Very nice review! I would be interested to hear more about the Elex’s on the new wonder toy.

1 Like

Would the MJ3 be an upgrade over the 3xp? My current chain is Foobar 2000 > Bifrost 2 OG > Burson > HEK V2. I would have to sell my Burson to afford the MJ3. Thanks

No follow up yet?

Been a while since I last posted regarding my Mjolnir 3 purchase, but I injured my neck and shoulder. So I only recently got to really play with it. So far I am enjoying it more than my Burson Soloist 3XP. It has no noise floor that I can hear, and it has good detail, and bass impact + clarity. Some tracks sounded a little muddier in the bass on the Burson by comparison. It has been recommended by other owners that you allow for around 100 hours of burn in (give or take 20 hours depending on who you ask) to allow it to settle into its final sound signature. I am around the 30 to 40 hour range at the moment ( I also leave mine on 24/7 after getting some risers to give it proper breathing room). For those with harder to drive planar headphones you might want to pair the Mjolnir 3 with a Gjallarhorn to be on the safe side (it is hit or miss depending on the headphone). I have a pair of SJY Starry night headphones, and they don’t sound their best on the Mjolnir 3, but they didn’t sound better on the Burson either even with 8 watts per channel to be fair. The Mjolnir 3 powers my Arya v3, Moonlight, and HD660s v1 well, and pair very well sound wise (it gives a little more impact and bass clarity as mentioned earlier). I have a ZMF Atrium on order, so I will do a follow up for both the new pair of headphones, and the burn in period.
I currently have mine paired with a Bifrost 2/64, and I have already been told that it is very DAC dependent. Others have paired it with various version of the Yggdrasil, and R2R DACs which I am told are better pairings with the Mjolnir 3. I will be purchasing a Yggdrasil next year as my next upgrade (was already going to do this before the comments I got on Head-fi :wink:).
All and all, it is great Class A amp offering in the sub 2k space. I am happy with my purchase thus far, and I am planning on keeping the Mjolnir 3 on my desk for the foreseeable future.

As a side note, I am still hopeful that Jason will figure out the power issue with the Valhalla 3 so I can add a tube amp to my pile of Schiit. :grin:

3 Likes

3 Likes

My Mjolnir 3 has been on 24/7 for over a week now, and it pairs really well with my Arya v3. I can’t wait to get my ZMF Atrium, and hook it up to the Mjolnir 3. I picked up a Corpse Cable for it in preparation for its arrival. I also switched out the interconnects from WBC Gold XLRs to Corpse Cable XLRs. I might do another cable upgrade down the line after I acquire some more gear. It is not worth it until I at least upgrade my DAC.

Well since last Sept when I got to review thr MJ3 first run I wanted to buy the unit but the budget was not there,

Well its almost a year later and run #3 is happening…and for my B-day I asked for a MJ3. Dont need anymore amps here! Still have a dozen around the house! OMG,Its a disease! LOL!

So my MJ3, black will arrive tomorrow if Fedex is accurate!

Alex

3 Likes

Well its been here for a week + now.
Excellent amp.
Absolutely Exquisite.
A perfect pairing with my D8000 Pros and low cost Schiit Modius E dac.
Stunning audio.

I placed a small PC graphics card dual fan on the heatsinks:

Had this on top of an AVR to keep it cool when watching movies an old Onkyo SR805.

Runs very quiet, 2 fans. has a speed controller. Low cost.
MJ 3 runs cool. Simple.

Seriously I have used ALOT of stuff over the years and find this pairing extremely
satisfying. Truly end game here.

MJ3 = $1199
Modius E = $229
D8000 Pros - $4299

Yeah its an ouch…for sure on the cans…but after spending TONS of $$$ on this crap…
Its about as good as it gets!
IMO, YMMV
Alex

3 Likes

The Mjolnir 3 is indeed a wonderful amp in both sound, and versatility. It powers headphones that are 10ohms and 87 db sensitivity (planar), as well as it does 300 ohm 96 db sensitivity dynamic headphones. It also scales well with DACs, and is one of the reasons I will be upgrading to a Yggdrasil MIB next year.

I am glad that I decided to get the Mjolnir 3 after missing out on other memorable Schiit amps. Even though I also own a Burson Soloist 3xp I hands down prefer the Mjolnir 3 over it.

I am also happy that you and others in the hobby get to enjoy this gem of an amp. :grin:

2 Likes

Down to six headphones. All work well with MJ3.
The HE1000SE’s and MJ3 really excell.
D8000 Pros also excell.

Lovely amp!
Kudos to Jason Stoddard for this design!

Its a classic…those chokes work magic!!
Alex
:>)

1 Like