Semi-open headphone around $500

there’s a mahogony available. any difference? or should i just consider the t60rp?

currently just a SB G6 but thanks M0N i’ll shortly be purchasing a Geshelli stack.

Technically, Sony MDR-Z7’s are semi open. :man_shrugging:

Oh… that’s actually not going to really be powerful enough to power them properly. They will run, but they won’t sound right or anywhere near the way they are supposed to.
@M0N usually recommends the Schiit Asgard 3 amplifier with a good DAC too like you are getting for them.
Or, another option that is portable and nice and small is the Xduoo XD-05 Plus, it is an AMP/ DAC combo with massive power.

the archel2.5 wouldn’t power those properly?? i like the concept of the asgard but i’m after optical.

the xd-05 plus was towards the top of my list but i fear the lifespan of the battery, as it goes for all portables of course.

It actually has amazing battery life. You get an adapter that comes with it that allows it to hook up to optical. And it actually lasts 21 hours. That’s pretty flipping good for a portable.

If you decided to go with the asgard 3 you can get something like the topping d50s or smsl m100 if you wanted a dac with optical and just get the asgard as amp only. I would say if you wanted the t60rp you would want the asgard.

The x00 magagony is slightly v shaped, intimate with great imaging and bass and treble performance and detail

1 Like

And again if you don’t need portability, the Asgard 3 with a DAC is the way to go.

Oh well there you go, optical works! :smile:

if i removed the preferences of tilt and swivel but added “replaceable pads” would the recs change from the t60rp or x00?

The T60rp can have pads changed I’m almost certain of that. Not sure about the other one though.

You can change the pads on the x00 for improved comfort but it really affects the sound

1 Like

anyone know the sound leakage in these versus the 1990? i found the 1990 to be the perfect level for me.

so here’s where i’m at… based on research i fear the creaking sound the t60rp can POSSIBLY make and the tr-x00 i’m seeing one used option online which i’m on the fence about. if i can wait would the argons come highly recommended? also it doesn’t technically need to be categorized as “semi-open” i just can’t have the full blown open of the sundaras but i want to hear my surroundings.

does the 610 compare to the x00? i’m really needing something that’ll let in ambient noise so this may be a little too closed. are there any other options that may not be “semi-open” but don’t have full blown leakage?

I think the 610s are solid and leak about the same as the x00, the x00 is more v shaped where the 610 is a bit more even. They do let in some of the environment and leak a bit but not too much so I do think they are up your alley imo. I actually typically don’t recommend the x00 or 610 when people are looking for closed since they are pretty semi open

I vote for the x00 ebonies. their awesome. and you can do a lawson mod to make them sound even better

from what i’ve read here and reviews that would be my #1 choice if i could find them… regret not grabbing a pair before Drop discontinuing. heck i can actually only find a single tr-x00 of any variant but i’m not incredibly comfortable with it. if you know of an ebony available please share.

i’d assume they’re even with each other regarding imaging? also, are these as power hungry as the t60rp? would the geshelli stack suffice?

heres one in peru, not sure about the site: