Sennheiser HD 650 vs 6xx vs 660S

Which one has great vocals, and great bass, with great detail, with clean treble and over all really clean sound. Trying to decide which one to get next, since i already have the HD 560s and 600 already, i want to eventually have the whole 6 series line up. I know the 650 and 6xx are the same headphone, but is the tuning any different?

6XX and 650 are the same thing including tuning…

Compared to 600 (which has the best vocal isolation but the least bass):

650 are almost the same but have more bass (not really great bass, just more, mostly mid bass)

660s has a bit less mids which makes it feel like it has more bass(still less than 650) and more treble, less shouty, more detailed/higher resolution but less vocal isolation, easier to drive.

58x has the most bass, but notably less resolution than the others, also easier to drive.

But yeah honestly I don’t think it’s worth having them all, just pick one between 600,660 and 650 imo, the 560s is a different thing completely, way more v shape and wider stage, I’d say the best contrast to that is the 650.

It terms of build quality for the 6xx and 650, they are the exact same, just different colors, right?

yeah, and I think the 6xx actually comes with a nicer box (mine did idk if they still send the nice one)
Even the 58x has the same build quality

So basically I should just get the 6xx, just because it’s cheaper, and I think you are right, I don’t want to sacrifice too much of the mids because I love the intimacy of vocals, and I do like my bass, so I think you are right and about getting the 6xx. How is the treble on the 6xx? Is $200 a good price on the Drop website, or does the price drop even more around November, on the black Friday sale?

$200 is nice I think, I paid way more cause I had to export it lol.
There’s not much treble at all but it’s decent quality, maybe a tiny bit less in quantity than the 600, 660s is better at treble if you care about it, but I would just get something different unless you plan on getting rid of your 600s imo, It is reaaally similar except for the extra mid bass.

I am planning to use a my Schiit Lyr3 Tube Amp to power the headphones, and I heard the 600 and 650 benefit well with using tube Amps. Also I don’t think the 660s will sound good on a tube Amp, since it’s easier to drive.

The 650 on a OTL amp like my Feliks Audio Echo is eye opening. Never realized how good it was until plugging in to this amp. I own a lot of ZMFs Audeze, Kennerton, Hifiman etc and will listen to the 650 over them. Solid state though I have many other headphones I prefer but on the tubes NONE of the others are close.

1 Like

You’re correct on the 660s/58x not scaling or “getting as much” with OTL tube amps. Your hybrid Lyr 3 is pretty flexible and is not providing all of the “tube magic” that is oft-discussed with these and other high-impedance dynamic headphones.

There’s a reason the 6xx has been so popular, it is a stonking good deal and will be a bit warmer than your 600. I still think differences are overemphasized, this series is more alike than they are different. Sundara and Clear OG should still be on your list to listen to.

What kind of Tube Amp should i be looking to get that " Tube Magic "? I will get the 6xx first to see if i like it and see what’s the hype is about. I would get the Sundara in the future and if i find Clear OG with a good deal, since i don’t think they make the Clear OG anymore, What’s a good alternative for the Clear OG?
I am still a bit hesitant to buy the 6xx or the 650 lol. Which one should i get?

They’re the same thing, so you buy whichever one is ‘the deal’ which is almost always a 6xx. Clear OG is still available I believe from headphones.com – for “real tube” effect that everyone is talking about, you’re looking for an OTL tube amp. I think this has all been mentioned a ton on here. Budget? DarkVoice 336, xDuoo TA-26, LittleDot Mk2/3. Next step probably Bottlehead Crack. Check into them, seek some of the threads on this forum on it.

I can’t buy any Amps now, but in the future, i will try to save up $1,000 to $2,000 for a really nice one

Which one would feels more comfortable to wear, for long periods of time? That will decide it, for me.
The 650 or the 6xx?

They’re literally the same headphone man :skull:

2 Likes

I will probably choose the HD 650, since grey is one of my favorite colors lol

I would get HD8xx instead. They are very different from HD600 series: much better vocal, good bass and clean treble.
HD660S doesn’t benefit from tubes.
I have Lyr OG - it’s waste of money if you have Sennheisers. Get something like TA-26 or Crack instead.

So the HD 600 and 650 won’t sound good on the Ly3?
Which one would be better TA-26 or the TA-30?
I should get the TA-26 because it’s just a amp and doesn’t have the stuff you don’t need like Bluetooth, and Dac, Right?

I will probably go for the xDuoo TA-26 first, then later on upgrade to Bottlehead Crack, which model do you recommend for Bottlehead Crack?

HD600 and HD650 would be almost the same. I’ll tell you more: my HD650 and HD660S are more similar than different. If you never heard them you probably will not tell the difference right away. If you spend money get something new, HD8xx for example.

Lyr3 is hybrid and TA-30 is too. TA-26 is a “true” OTL tube amp. HD600/HD800 benefit from raw tube power because they are 300 Ohms.

Crack and TA-26 and kinda on the same level. If you want Bottlehead later get something more expensive than Crack.