šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

Take every review/comparison with a pinch of salt, heh.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the felt mod on the back of these drivers? Iā€™ve been running them like that for about a month and love the way they sound. They bring the bass down a tad while increasing the treble just enough to make them sound more analytical. I find there to be a lot more detail in the sound. I was wondering if someone else has done this and can compare the sound to something like a 600, 650, or 660s?

I intend to try some of the felt mods from this

Iā€™ll post again in a few days with what I think with the dekoni elite velour pads as well.

3 Likes

I adhered the felt to the driver so it dampened the lows too much in my opinion, so if you adhere it with anything other than tape donā€™t feel shy about adding a bass port to manage the sound, you can start small then work your way up till you like it. Iā€™ll do a full video on it sometime maybe. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I added the AKG foam on the driver on mine. I love them even more now.

Ok. So I tried the toilet paper mod today with the dekoni elite velour pads. The mod by itself definitely reduced the bass a lot. If it is similar to the measurements in the article then probably to much for most peopleā€™s liking. But mixed with the dekoni pads (which are way to boomy alone) the sound feels very close to stock. Maybe more impact on midbass hits but not boomy. I canā€™t take any measurments and have only tried the TP but I think this might be a winner.
I used a single layer of Scott septic safe one ply and attached it with a small ring if bluetack.

1 Like

Do you know of a good place to buy the AKG foam? I would like to try it as well but donā€™t know if what Iā€™m finding is the right stuff.

Or toilet paper? and if so 2 or 3 ply?..ffs really?

2 Likes

Exactly the same as my impressions, lean with impact regarding bass. It is similar to analytical pads on dt1990 but less elevated treble and cleaner stark sounding mids.

Also you may try adding weight to the back of the driver to see if it further helps sub-bass, I failed to properly perform a magnet mod, but can say it may have helped the lows by having the extra weight back there.

I donā€™t understand your question. I specified the brand, type, and ply (one) in my original post.

3 Likes

Ohā€¦ Ok then. I feel a bit stupid.

Where can I find a good deal on a balanced cable for these?

4 Likes

3 ply??!? Who are you with your hoity toity 3 ply TP? The Prince of England?

:grin::grin::crazy_face:

1 Like

https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/sennheiser.html

:+1:

Thereā€™s the single ended one they made for my 660s

5 Likes

Blockquote*[quote=ā€œHeartattackPilot, post:53, topic:2197, full:trueā€]
The HD600 are technically better than the 58x, but I didnā€™t like the sound. The HD600 was too clinical and made the music boring. Some people love this, but for my preferences the 58x is more enjoyable. Also the 58x are a bit warmer, which is something I like.
[/quote]

Definitely agree I personally even like the 58x more than the 600 and 650 cause they sound so boring. But if you put them on a tube then thatā€™s different story . Then their is no I like these better I find they sound actually interesting when hooked up to good tubes.

This was a bummer for me because Iā€™ve heard this before. Unfortunately I sold my HD600 just before I got a tube amp, so I was never able to hear the 600 on a tube.