🔶 Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

I just ordered some damplifier pro dampening foam for my 6xx that I’ll also apply to the 58x and I’ll report back on how it goes.

1 Like

I got my headphone used from my brother and always assume my pads were pretty new…i was wrong. I’m trying some replacement dekoni earpads and I found the treble that was always missing in my hd 58x lol…the difference in treble of a used pad and a new pad is HUGE

1 Like

welcome to the world of pad rolling.

I’ve had a good amount of listening time with the 58X, 6XX, and HD600 since buying all 3 last year. This is going to sound super obvious to many, but the 58x is clearly not in the same league as the 6xx and hd600 mod or no mod.

The main issue of the 58x is a scratchy treble that just does not sit well with me. In fact I’d be happier to run with a pair of KSC75 due to the less fatiguing tonal balance vs the 58x. I would sell my hd58x, but the pads it came with are a good replacement for when I need to replace what came on the my other senn’s lol.

I currently have a pair of 58x on my desk with a pair of KZ x Crinnacle IEM’s (paid $38 CAD for those), and no doubt I would rather reach for the KZ’s over the 58x any day.

With that said, I’m sure many would be happy with the 58x’s performance for the price, but they lack the what make the hd6xx a compelling option like their scalability and unfatigueing sound, and at the same time add no real pluses except price, but they get beaten there too with all the wonderful chi-fi/koss options these days.

1 Like

I didn’t enjoy them all that much until I did the tea bag mod and now I use them a fair amount. Very light and comfortable, but probably not much of use for critical listening.

That is interesting how everyone hears them differently. I own both and found the Crin KZ set to have some sibilance, and always found them hard to listen to for any length of time. It is the worst sounding IEM I own, and I have two other KZ sets, plus another 8 or 9 IEMs.

Interesting that you claim the KSC75 is less fatiguing, since I found that to be the brightest of the big three KOSS sets, and always preferred the KPH30i, which is the warm one.

I spent time listening to both the HD600 and the 58x. I went with the 58x, but I liked the faster attack and decay, and the slightly recessed mids worked better for the things I was listening to. I get the appeal of the HD600, but I always feel like I am missing bass and sub-bass that I want. It could be purely a function of the genres and types of music I enjoy, and I can see that going either way.

The HD58x is a great bargain, and I rank it behind the HE400se for best value in over the ear. The biggest knock on the HE400se is the weight.

1 Like
4 Likes

Well. Going back to my (September 2019!) review. I now have HD6XX. Be aware 6XX’s were supposed to be like 400-500$ until Mass/drop called em and said “hey, how much do you want if the Drop community wants, like, 10 000 pairs?”. And it really shows.

A/B-ing 58X and 6XX’s, I’d say Sennheiser HD58X’s are for monitoring and 6XX are for enjoyment. It’s really “in-your-face-everything mid-fi” versus “audiophile-approved naturalness and width/depth”. I still stand by what I said. HD58X’s will give you “pure, unadulterated music”. Still one of the best open-back headphones for the price, probably – and you will hear a lot with HD58X’s.

But I also said I felt like I was “in the studio, or on the stage” with HD58X’s, though, and I don’t know how I could have said that. Well: I had not heard 6XX’s yet, that’s how. If you can have 6XX’s for a similar price than 58X’s and want to feel like you’re “on stage or in the studio” ? Get the 6XX’s. There’s no comparison.

2 Likes

@LeDechaine Two of my friends each wanted a recommendation. The first a casual listener…the other a modern composer/professor. The first got 58x and
the second the 6xx. Both are happy. PS I’ve heard both and feel both have their
place. :wink:

1 Like

I agree. Also you won’t hear much of a difference between 6XX’s and 58X’s if you plug both in a JDS Atom or a Liquid Spark for example: You might even prefer the 58X’s. But that’s only because your amp is the 6XX’s bottleneck.

6XX’s will sound much better with a much better amp – HD58X’s won’t (my personal experience). But if you don’t imagine yourself spending 200, 300$+ on an amplifier (…like me until my finger slipped on a “buy it now” button :roll_eyes: ), yeah, HD58X’s are a good choice.

2 Likes

I think they sound a bit different, for people that want that Sennheiser mid-forward sound, that people talk about, the 6XX and an amp are what you want. I find the HD58x has a bit more bass, where the 6XX is a bit lacking, and of course works on any source.

I like the HD58x better most of the time.

2 Likes

How do you install them?

I used a double sided tape my wife has for her dresses. I don’t think it matters which type of double sided tape but this worked the best and it never came off.

1 Like

Do you have pictures of how it should look like when it’s fully installed, I only ordered 2 should I order more, just in case I mess up?

1 Like