šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

I have been basically daily using my HD58X for around 3 years now, for TV and movies. Still a great headphone and the pads have held up extremely well. No creaks, nothing has come loose. Excellent choice for extended listening and huge number of hours use over long term.

A few months ago sound in the left side stopped working. Easily tracked to the stock cable. Which was a good opportunity to replace it as I always found the stock cable a bit heavy and inflexible. Also slightly too long for my situation.

Went with this one from Amazon (Iā€™m in Australia) and chose the 1.3m length.
https://www.amazon.com.au/NewFantasia-Replacement-Compatible-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B07Q9J87VL/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&sr=8-6

Couldnā€™t be happier with it. Light, flexible, length perfect for me. And I like the red post split section as it breaks up the all black headphone. The splitter itself is slim and never gets caught on anything. For a cheap cable, I highly recommend it for anyone needing a new one.

2 Likes

I am using a balanced cable on my 58x and to be honest I canā€™t tell much of a difference up against the stock SE cable.

I even had a few friends test it out and there is barely any difference, so I personally wouldnā€™t worry about it. More of something nice to have or do further down the line.

Agree with @Ohmboy here, the Origen is single ended only, so no need for a balanced cable.

1 Like

Does this mod still retain the ā€œspaciousnessā€ effect of what removing the big piece of foam does to the audio because I want the best of both worlds. Which is having a dust filter and makes it sound more spacious at the same time.

I tried this and it also sound better to me too

I checked out the Sennheiser HD58x it has decent bass response but its treble is definitely lacking in extension. For the sale price of $129 its definitely a good buy. I find this the most comfortable headphone I own because its so light

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been enjoying my new HE6se V2, but for fun I pulled out my dusty old HD58X. I slapped some new pads on there, did my sheer curtain mod and bumped up the upper mids with EQ a bit, and yeah, these are great. Theyā€™re definitely not as impressive sounding as the HE6se, especially in bass clarity and detail, but theyā€™re much more right sounding. For acoustic music, folk, guitar, that kind of stuff, Sennheisers are nearly unbeatable. Theyā€™re also enjoyable at significantly lower volumes than the HE6se, so my ear health is happy.

EDIT - hereā€™s the EQ

3 Likes

I am really digging these headphones. This is a case where the graph looks more neutral than my ears are hearing, and what I am hearing is exactly what I was hoping for.

1 Like

Another selling point, the Drop HD58x is really efficient to drive, they have no problem plugged into a Roku remote. My wife doesnā€™t like the zombie sounds of The Walking Dead, so I tried these for some catch up viewing this weekend, and they worked great. I ran them between 22 and 30 most of the time.

2 Likes

lol, they really run with anything. I remember using them plugged to the PS4 controller to watch a movie, and there was no problem at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

Try an impedance adapter on these. It opens up the soundstage. Best mod for these!
I went with 80 ohms.
Give it a try, itā€™s kinda of a cheap mod.

1 Like

Do it add more bass? It could be interestingā€¦

It does add bassā€¦ I also tried 220 ohms but made them way too warm! I also removed the back foam.
With the 80 ohm adapter it improves soundstage, instrument sƩparation and clarity.
I donā€™t feel the need to eq them now.
Feels like it did something to that 5khz

1 Like

Welp I finale opened up my HD58x to do some gaming. The first thing I noticed was a rough sounding treble and what appeared to be recessed mids. Uhh wth. I though these were mid forward. Treble on the KSXC75 is way more refined lol. Perhaps I need to mod these?

Did the solder dude mod and the mids are improved and bass is far less bloated, but the treble has a bit too much grain still. Itā€™s fine for a switch/3ds/GBA/Gameboy, but too sharp for a proper headphone dac/amp IMO. Anyone know of any other mods?

Man, I donā€™t know what to say. Never had the same experience with my 58x while I had them. If you want to keep the headphones for comfort/fit, my recommendation would be to mainly look at pad rolling. Sennheiser tunes their headphones to work only with their pads, so changing it usually makes bigger changes to the sound. Maybe you can find something to curb up the highs a little. Another possible mod is the paper/teabag mod as shown by super review, but I donā€™t know if this will help you.

Another option is: maybe you simply donā€™t like the sound of it. Nothing wrong with that, just maybe looked for a different sound profile. Maybe a darker profile, or at least a higher resolving with the same level of treble. And I will say, IMO, the 58X has not a lot of treble so if you think itā€™s too much you should look at darker headphones, maybe like the Nighthawks. If you want more resolution out of a similar(ish) sound signature I would look at other 600 headphones, maybe a 6xx for less base and more forward mids, or the 660s that people say is a direct upgrade from the 58X.

Thanks for the advice. I do want to somehow make this headphone work as I do like the fit, weight and durability of it. Replacement cost if my kids break it is nice and low too. Timbre is good after the solderdude mod, but that just leaves the grainy treble. I donā€™t really want to mess with that with different pads as I donā€™t want to mess with the mids. I just wish I could smooth it out somehow. Maybe I can play with the damping somehow.

The KSC75 has a much smoother treble IMO.

To be fair, Iā€™m coming from headphones that cost several times this one, so maybe Iā€™m asking too much from a $99 headphone. On the other hand the HD6xx I picked up at the same time as the 58x was a pleasant surprise on my Ares 2/Flux FA-12 to the point that Iā€™m considering buying a tube amp for it.

My experience with the 58x and tubes was limited but not great. Now I still havenā€™t heard the 6xx, and most of the tube amps I had didnā€™t improved the sound in any significant way. Granted I only got the cheaper ones, so there is that.

Maybe try your gear upgrade and if you donā€™t like it, just go after a 6xx?

Oh, the 6xx will be for home office use, so the 58x still has itā€™s use case. Mostly out of Nintendo consoles. I just wish to smooth the treble. Lots of people here are removing the inside foam for a brighter sound signature. I tried this and even though it does bring out the treble detail, itā€™s still grainy. Maybe I can hide the grain by using thicker foam haha.

Removing the outter foam (not inner) and an impedance adapter (80 ohm) improved it for me.