šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

If youā€™re in Europe maybe consider the Liquid Spark Amp + Liquid Spark Dac or I bought the iFi Zen Dac first and then the added the amp to it, itā€™s enough to run even the DT 880 600 Ohm on it.

Thanks for the suggestion. Iā€™ve decided on iFi Zen DAC cause i got it MSRP(should be arriving by the end of the month hooray), when i was looking at Liquid Spark DAC+AMP i had to pay 20-30% more unfortunately. You added Liquid Spark amp if i understood that correctly? How do you like it? Pairs well with Zen DAC?

To be honest I havenā€™t got much testing - I bought the spark specifically because I needed the extra power to power my DT880 600 Ohm and for that it works great when itā€™s on high gain just the detail is great like Iā€™ve never heard better and they never sound sharp to me and the bass is just perfect without being too heavy. Since youā€™re using the 58x and theyā€™re only 150 impedance the Zen Dac should be good enough for you, and if you have some harder to drive headphones then buying the Spark may be a good idea. Also just out of curiosity where you importing to?

Nice, iā€™ll definitely consider it when iā€™m in the market for some higher impedance cans. Are there any problems with truebass button when paired up with the amp or is it all well? Iā€™m from Serbia, so importing anything outside of the country would be 10% customs + 20% tax. Also shipping that could vary from few dollars to hundreds, usually not worth but i got lucky with HD58x.

The true bass button is part of the amp, if youā€™re plugging another amp into the Zen Dac through RCA in the back then it bypasses the amp so the buttons just donā€™t do anything. But the volume knob can still work so you have to put flip the switch in the back to fixed so that only your amp controls the volume.

Thatā€™s a real shame, at least the knob can work. I guess if the button is really good/addictive or the headphones really need it you can always run the Zen DAC solo.

Figured this is as good a place as any to show my new paintjobā€¦

28 Likes

Welcome, and nice work!

These look amazing! Really considering doing something similar :smiley:

Should I spend the extra for the balanced cable?

What are you running them from?

HD58X and Iā€™m planning to go with Magni Modi stack

Then you do not want or need a balanced cable.

Thank you for the information. Iā€™m curious as for the difference between balanced and unbalanced cables and why is it not needed. I really appreciate if you can further forward explaining to me.

There is no need for a balanced cable, because the Magni/Modi are single ended only DAC/Amp. You wouldnā€™t be able to take advantage of the cable designed to be used on a balanced amp, and would end up needing an adapter to use it at all.

4 Likes

HD58x just for $129 NOW

2 Likes

Here is a you tube video that I stumble across on.

1 Like

58x on Crack, liquid plat and the lake people RS-08 with the ARES II are great pairings. Gives the 58x more body, clarity, smoothness and thatā€™s where iā€™ve found where the 58x become so so good as it scales up.

Using the 58x with the BTR5 is a passably enjoyable experience but throw it on some better gear and these have surpassed their value for me.

Iā€™ve passed on these headphones for so many years and im so glad I have them when I have the ability to throw them on my current setups.

5 Likes

About to purchase the HD58x as well, may I ask do I need a balanced cable when I have a micca origen 2 preamp? Thanks in advance

Welcome to HFGF :smiley: as far as Iā€™m aware the Origen 2 is se only so you wonā€™t want or need a balanced cable :+1:

1 Like