šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

Ok. So I tried the toilet paper mod today with the dekoni elite velour pads. The mod by itself definitely reduced the bass a lot. If it is similar to the measurements in the article then probably to much for most peopleā€™s liking. But mixed with the dekoni pads (which are way to boomy alone) the sound feels very close to stock. Maybe more impact on midbass hits but not boomy. I canā€™t take any measurments and have only tried the TP but I think this might be a winner.
I used a single layer of Scott septic safe one ply and attached it with a small ring if bluetack.

1 Like

Do you know of a good place to buy the AKG foam? I would like to try it as well but donā€™t know if what Iā€™m finding is the right stuff.

Or toilet paper? and if so 2 or 3 ply?..ffs really?

2 Likes

Exactly the same as my impressions, lean with impact regarding bass. It is similar to analytical pads on dt1990 but less elevated treble and cleaner stark sounding mids.

Also you may try adding weight to the back of the driver to see if it further helps sub-bass, I failed to properly perform a magnet mod, but can say it may have helped the lows by having the extra weight back there.

I donā€™t understand your question. I specified the brand, type, and ply (one) in my original post.

3 Likes

Ohā€¦ Ok then. I feel a bit stupid.

Where can I find a good deal on a balanced cable for these?

4 Likes

3 ply??!? Who are you with your hoity toity 3 ply TP? The Prince of England?

:grin::grin::crazy_face:

1 Like

https://oidiosound.co.uk/headphone-cables/sennheiser.html

:+1:

Thereā€™s the single ended one they made for my 660s

5 Likes

Blockquote*[quote=ā€œHeartattackPilot, post:53, topic:2197, full:trueā€]
The HD600 are technically better than the 58x, but I didnā€™t like the sound. The HD600 was too clinical and made the music boring. Some people love this, but for my preferences the 58x is more enjoyable. Also the 58x are a bit warmer, which is something I like.
[/quote]

Definitely agree I personally even like the 58x more than the 600 and 650 cause they sound so boring. But if you put them on a tube then thatā€™s different story . Then their is no I like these better I find they sound actually interesting when hooked up to good tubes.

This was a bummer for me because Iā€™ve heard this before. Unfortunately I sold my HD600 just before I got a tube amp, so I was never able to hear the 600 on a tube.

I only tube my 660s now, havenā€™t used ss in quite a while.

Always been curious about tube amps, and now I got HD58Xsā€¦ Hmm.

And an other thing to think about with a tube amp you can roll the tubesā€¦I use 2 x 5654/EF95 RT Mullardā€™s as my daily power tubes and depending on the type of music/recording 2 x 5654W/EF95 Jan General Electricā€™sā€¦ 2 x 6H6P/6H6N Novosirsk are the drivers a massive improvement over the OE Chinese tubes supplied with the Little Dot MMKII :+1:

i got mine on aliexpress you can get a balanced 2.5mm for 20$ or a 4 pin xlr for 32$ but itā€™s aliexpress so it takes a long ass time (you can also wait for sales they can go 20% off and that type of stuff).

1 Like

Tubes rock. Saves you from having to dick about with toilet paper.

3 Likes