šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD650

Hello, I have the same headphone. Go balanced is my opinion.

Yeah, I would say if you have the ability to go balanced, go balanced. You can get a balanced cable fairly cheap

Hey M0N, thank you for being such a great resource here. Any recommendations for upgrading to a balanced cable? I am looking for bang-for-the buck value, thanks!

How bang for the buck? You could get some inexpensive balanced cables off of Amazon, periapt cables, and @brux with heart audio cables

Also make sure you get a balanced amp lol

Sub $35?
and yeah, still eyeing that TA-20

Ah, well then you might have to bump up to 50 USD for a senn balanced cable

Also tangential question. I have loved my HD600 for 3-4 years, do I bother picking up HD6xx? Not different enough or totally worth it? Again, I seek out warmth.

So, the hd650 is warmer with a slightly wider stage, but really they are kinda similar. There are other headphones but you would have to step up in price imo

And here is a cable (there are shorter ones for the same price)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074LFV489/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gH1PDb1HBDQ6R

A warm 650 ish headphone in that price range would be something like the audioquest nighthawk (itā€™s hit or miss for most people though), but it is warmer then the 650

1 Like

So Iā€™ve been using the HD6xx as my daily drivers for about 2 years now and have definitely worn out the pads. I saw some of you enjoying the Dekoni Hybrid pads are their any other pads that might stand out? I was thinking about the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin. Does anyone know if these impact the sound of the headphone that much?

I have not pad-rolled my 6XX, but my understanding is that the Senn 600 series does not take well to most 3rd party pads. The recommendation is usually to get replacements direct from Sennheiser.

3 Likes

Once I started reading some reviews I believe you are right. I definitely need some new pads, mine are gone.

Pretty much any pad but the original sennheiser pads impact the sound on the 6XX/650/600.
I hate the Sennheiser pads, and tried a number of different pads on mine.
The Sennheiser pads are back on them.

2 Likes

Old thread, I know, but stillā€¦

Very randomly I started listening to jazz. Thelonius Monk, to be exact. I saw it on Tidal and thought, ā€œgive it a try.ā€ Anyway, I love it. But more relevantly for this forum, I wish to state for the record that the HD 650 IS PERFECT for this type of music. Itā€™s just so good. Itā€™s all about the midsā€¦thereā€™s not much bass in this music, nor much in the way of higher frequencies. Is there even a trumpet? Not sure. Piano. Tenor sax. A drum kit, but itā€™s keeping time and not booming. Soft snare drum, and mostly brushes. Light cymbals. So good. Iā€™m really enjoying the experience.

2 Likes

Nice, Iā€™ll be checking that outā€¦ also posting impressions in the official threads is always good no matter how old :+1:

1 Like

Iā€™m now listening to a Poulenc organ concerto, and now I find the cans lacking in bass. Iā€™ll try digging it up on Tidal to see if itā€™s youtubeā€™s compression. Generally I find that the HD 650 does a fine job with classical. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsFsBNAmCd0

For kicks just switched over to my DT660s. Yes, better low end, but the highs are almost unlistenable after listening on the HD650s.

DT660s? Did you mean the HD660s or maybe the DT770?

DT660s are a 2000s beyer closed back iirc

Interesting. Are they any good @dcofficehack (If these are indeed what you meant)?

Dt660s. Yes, they are quite good. I bought them mainly for the terrific sound isolation. No need for active sound suppression. Sounds great: only after I picked up HD600s did they seem poor in comparison.

1 Like