šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD650

Im just listening to my HD6XX on the Darkvoiceā€¦Honestly, they are still my most beloved headphones! They were the first real ā€œaudiophileā€ headphone iĀ“ve purchased and they got me into this hobby 3 years ago or so.
I still use the 6XX the mostā€¦The Koss 95X (fucking awesome) took quite a bit listening time since i have them and before them i used the LCD2C more, but in the end i always come back to the 6XX.
I simply love their sound and they are light and comfortable too.They are not fucking bulky and Neckbreaking like the LCD2C. They stay on my head, i can use them with my DAP and comfortably do everything in my home without having to worry that they fall off my head. And in the end, they cost only 200 bucks.
I think they are one of the best audio purchase people can do, especially for all the people who want to dip their feet for the first time into audio.
I will never ever sell these headphones.
Im thinking of buying and building the bottlehead crack amp in the future to upgrade from my darkvoice. Heard it is a perfect pairing :smile:

5 Likes

Iā€™ve just received a pair of HD650ā€™s to add to my HD Collection and to see How they differ from my HD58X,HD600,HD595,HD598.

Overall and My Opinion To my Ears Obviously through my Dark Voice Tube amp the HD600ā€™s still Sound the Best Overall.
Clarity Goes to the HD58X Jubilees.
Warmth And Relaxed listening Goes to the
HD650ā€™s,HD598,HD595

3 Likes

For the record: Now listening to Fela Kuti on my HD650s (over Tidal) and itā€™s SO GOOOD.

1 Like

Hmm, I find that the HD58X has too much grain present in the treble to topple the HD650/6XX in terms of clarity. Furthermore, during busy passages, instrument lines start to blur together in the HD58X whereas the HD6XX does a better job of keeping separate lines separated, so the technicalities of the HD58X are less than that of the HD6XX. Still, the tuning of the HD58X gives it a more lively sound than the more laidback HD6XX, which may make some prefer the HD58X over the HD6XX. Just my opinion.

As for the others, I havenā€™t heard them. Anyways, to each their own.

I just ordered a couple of 3D prints of this model for my HD 6XX:

I used Shapeways. They cost a total of $61.22 for two copies, including shipping & taxes. I chose the lazy production/shipping options, so itā€™s gonna take about 3 weeks.

Iā€™ll probably have to use some cotton to reduce reflections, based on comments Iā€™ve read in other threads. I wanted wood, but finding a cheap service wasnā€™t easy, so Iā€™m trying plastic first.

Iā€™m very excited to hear the end result! Will post an update when I get them.

1 Like

Why would you turn a good open back 650 in a closed?

It would allow me to use it in noisy or noise-sensitive environments :slight_smile: Iā€™d still take the covers off when not needed. Probably.

Did you use any dampening to attenuate back-wave distortion?

am I doing this right? :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl:

ā€¦have you considered old Beats by Dre headphones? :stuck_out_tongue:

According to the graphs, for neutral bass, it would be +5 @ 15hzā€¦

Iā€™d try something like +5dB @ 20hz, +4dB @ 40hz, +3dB @ 60hz, +2dB @ 80hz and thatā€™s all (because 100hz-to-300hz is already boosted a bit on the 650s).

Otherwise Iā€™d recommend other headphonesā€¦ Audioquest Nighthawks maybe lol.

1 Like

Haha. I like bass, but also the rest of the sound :stuck_out_tongue:

Iā€™m actually a little surprised at how well the 6xx responds to this eq. The bass becomes punchy and exciting, but it doesnā€™t ruin the rest of the experience. You just need more power to drive it.

1 Like

Have you tried tube amp?

No, I havenā€™t! My next step is a Loki + Magni 3+.
I was planning to get a Vali 2, but everyoneā€™s saying how non-tube-y it is, so I skipped it.

I think this is for the best honestlyā€¦ for an hd650 an OTL tube amp is the recommended way to go

2 Likes

I really, really enjoy my 650s on my Darkvoice. Itā€™s amazing what tubes do to these headphones. OPens them up and makes them just go nuts.

3 Likes

So I bought a used set of HD650 a while back and they came with these nice velvety velour pads. I washed them and they sounded great. Then I recently swapped to new authentic Senn pads andā€¦ they feel different. Like, very different. Theyā€™re smaller and stiffer and donā€™t have that velvet quality of the originals. Did they change the manufacturring of these at some point? Iā€™m also not trained enough to hear sonic differences between the two yet.

1 Like

Were the pads it came with OEM pads? I donā€™t recall ever hearing about a different pads getting used. Washing Sennheiser pads is also known to make them softer. But thatā€™s not recommenced because it can either affect the sound or deteriorate the foam if I remember correctly.

Yeah I asked the seller if they swapped or modified them in any way and they said they didnā€™t. They even had the original sennheiser cable. Also there was no way I wasnā€™t going to wash them in the middle of a pandemic lol

@kcrack I believe those were pad rolled. This is what the stock pad should look like. I bought these 650s just two months ago. Pardon the dust and the dent from the legs of my glasses. I need to brush them again.

I see. Well, I do hear a small bit of difference since the bass feels less impactful, but it could just be placebo. Iā€™ll just get used to the new OEM pads I guess, even if they feel less comfortable.

Edit: Iā€™m studying the pads a bit more, and I donā€™t think these were pad rolled. The patterning and original dark color on the sides of the old pads are still present in many areas and align with the new pads. And yeah they are dust and hair magnets as well. So I guess they are just old and worn down flat whereas the new pads maintain their structure better. Just gotta break them in over time.

1 Like