đŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD660s

INTRODUCTION

It’s time to come back down to reality after a brief (but fun!) foray into high-end headphone systems. The Sennheiser HD660S headphone crossed my desk recently and I had a good listen. Let’s see what I found

TL;DR

The Senn HD660S is a very good ~$200-250 headphone that unfortunately sells for $500 from most retailers. It has its strengths and offers a slightly different signature than its popular sibling model the HD6XX from Massdrop. It’s more forgiving than its 6XX sibling of entry-level DACs and amps. But, in this reviewer’s humble opinion it does not offer a signature that is different enough or a technical performance improvement over the 6XX, or another budget heavyweight Beyerdynamic DT880 600℩, large enough to justify its ~$300 price difference over those models. However, if you can find it used around $250 or less, it can be a compelling option.

KNOW YOUR REVIEWER

My preferred genres are rock/metal and classical/orchestral music. I’m getting to know jazz more and enjoying quite a bit. I also listen to some EDM and hip-hop. My hearing quirks include a high sensitivity to midrange frequencies from just under 1KHz to around 3Khz, give or take. My ears are thus quick to perceive “shoutiness” in headphones in particular. I describe “shoutiness” as an emphasis on the ‘ou’ sound of ‘shout.’ It’s a forwardness in the neighborhood of 1KHz and/or on the first one or two harmonics above it (when I make the sound ‘ooooowwwww’ into a spectrum analyzer the dominant frequency on the vowel sound is around 930Hz, which also means harmonic spikes occur again at around 1860Hz and 2790Hz). In the extreme, it can have the tonal effect of sounding like a vocalist is speaking or singing through a toilet paper tube or cupping their hands over their mouth. It can also give instruments like piano, but especially brass instruments, an added ‘honk’ to their sound. I also get distracted by sibilance, or sharp ‘s’ and ‘t’ sounds that can make ssssingers sssssound like they’re forssssssing esssss ssssssounds aggresssssssively. Sibilance does not physically hurt my ears nearly as quickly as shout, though. It’s distracting because it’s annoying and unnatural. Finally, in a new clause in this section, I’m discovering that I have a preference for more subtle detail. I like good detail retrieval and hearing what a recording has to offer, but I prefer that presentation to what many would consider relaxed and subtle rather than aggressive of detail-forward. To my ear, more subtle detail-retrieval sounds more realistic and natural than aggressive, detail-forwardness. There is a balance here, though, because detail retrieval can get too relaxed and that can sound unnatural, as well. Readers should keep these hearing quirks and preferences in mind as they read my descriptions of sound.

FEATURES & BUILD

The HD660S is an open-back, dynamic-driver, over-the-ear headphone. It has a rated impedance of 150℩ and rated sensitivity of 104 dB/mW. On paper, it’s an easier-to-drive load than most of the Sennheiser HD6?? series, which have impedances of 300℩. As far as build quality goes, there’s not much to say here that hasn’t already been said. If you’re familiar with the Senn 600 series build, that’s what you get. I’m not going to spend too much time here because descriptions of the build are all over the internet. The time here will be better spent on the

SOUND

Test Gear

There were 3.5ish different signal chains I listened to the 660s with most. To acclimate, I used the Chord Hugo 2 DAC/amp (as DAC only) and the Cayin HA-1AMK2 tube amp on its lowest output impedance setting. That’s a source chain that’s probably a bit unrealistic for most users who may be considering the 660s, so I also did a fair amount of critical listening with the Schiit Modius + Asgard 3 stack, and a Topping D10 + JDS Labs Atom and Monolith Liquid Spark amp. Read about some of my thoughts on Asgard 3, Atom, and Liquid Spark amps here.

Sound Signature

To my ear the signature of the 660s is a gentle ‘v’
kinda. Why kinda? There’s not much subbass. The middbass is a bit forward, the mids are slightly recessed, and the lower treble is a bit forward. It’s kind like a radical symbol: √ - sorta, but the treble isn’t noticeably forward of the bass. If you’re familiar with the HD6XX, pull back the mids a touch and bring the lower treble up just a hair. The result is not as mid-focused or overall neutral-warm like the 6XX is, it’s a bit closer to a more mainstream tuning, but not nearly as extreme. It’s bass and treble extension are both somewhat mediocre, not going very deep or having much air, but that’s par for the course for Senn 6?? series cans. And like the other Senn 6?? cans, the 660s is generally smooth, relaxed, and easy to listen to for long periods of time without getting fatigued.

Detail Retrieval

Have you heard the phrase “Sennheiser veil”? Senns are not detail-forward so to many they can sound veiled when they are first put on. It took me awhile to drop this feeling after doing weeks of listening to the likes of the Audeze LCD-24, HiFiMan HE1000V2, and Abyss Diana Phi. However, Senns are actually quite detailed at their price points; they’re just subtle about it. Once that veiled feeling wears off, there’s a fair amount going on. The 660s is no exception here. It’s reasonably resolving in the mids and lower treble in particular. Room reverb, many vocal subtleties, etc. are presented well.

Spatial Presentation

The spatial presentation is still very Senn HD6??-like. It’s not particularly wide, its imaging tends toward the “3-blob” presentation (stuff left, stuff center, stuff right, not as much in between as some others), and there’s not a ton of depth. None of those things are deal breakers for most, so they won’t be here either. The 660s does a nice job of creating some more vertical space than some other headphones I’ve heard in the price range, though.

But If You Tube It

Yeah, it’s a Senn 6?? series, so we gotta talk about tube amps. At 150℩, the 660S is basically the minimum impedance that makes sense to use on an OTL (output transformer-less) tube amp. Unfortunately, I don’t have a true OTL tube amp, I have the transformer-coupled Cayin HA-1AMK2. The 660s did indeed sound better on the 1AMK2 than it did on the Atom, Liquid Spark, or Asgard 3, but I don’t think that had much to do with it being a tube amp and the 660s taking well to tubes. If anything, it’s because the 1AMK2 is on a much higher performance tier than any of those amps. The truth is, the 660s did not change its sound much. Yes, there was slightly more detail and an improvement in overall technical performance, but there wasn’t the transformation that happens when the 6XX is put on a tube. So, you can use the 660s with a tube. It does change a bit. But, it’s not a completely different headphone on a tube in the way that its 600 and 650/6XX brethren are.

The 660s is a fine-sounding headphone. I can listen to it and enjoy it for extended periods of time. Nonetheless, this sound section is a bit shorter than I often do because I think the big story with the 660s is found in the

COMPARISONS WITH OTHER HEADPHONES

I keep a Massdrop + Sennheiser HD6XX (which is essentially a Massdrop-branded HD650) and a Beyerdynamic DT-880 600℩ around as references pieces. Both of these cans are near $200 USD in MSRP and both are well-known, popular cans. They make excellent references for review work. I’ll go ahead and drop the punchline of this section here: the 660s has its own sound signature that may attract some listeners but it also is not a marked technical improvement over the 6XX or the DT880 – if it’s even an improvement at all. It also doesn’t scale up nearly as well. Both the 6XX and DT880 have something new to give when they’re driven by $1000+ amps and DACs. The 660s hits its performance ceiling much earlier. On the flip side, I found the 660s to be slightly – and I emphasize slightly – more forgiving with entry-level gear than either 6XX or DT880. I interpret this to mean it is a little less source-picky than these other two. Alright, let’s unpack all of this

Sound Signatures

As stated before, the 660s has a very mild and somewhat rolled-off-at-either-end v-signature. The 6XX has a neutral-warm signature that is also somewhat rolled-off with mediocre extension both high and low. The DT880 is neutral-bright with excellent bass and treble extension but also somewhat lean bass. The amount of treble in the 660s is between the 6XX and DT880, but closer to the 6XX than the 880. The 660s and DT880 are quite similar in midrange quantity. The 6XX and 660s have similar amounts of midbass, being slightly more than the DT880, but the DT880 has the extension advantage and more subbass presence overall, despite it being somewhat lean in the lows (at least compared to its treble). I think the DT880 also has more bass punch/slam. It’s more dynamic. I wouldn’t say it has great punch/slam because of the lean-ness of its bass, but it is overall more energetic and aggressive throughout the frequency range than either Senn.

Spatial Presentations

The DT880 is the spatial king at its price point and its abilities in this area keep it competitive way beyond its price point. It’s well ahead of either Senn model in soundstage size, imaging, separation, and depth. After that, and in a somewhat shocking discovery for me given the intimate nature of the 6XX’s spatial presentation, the 660 is more horizontally narrow than the 6XX. It’s not a huge difference, but it’s noticeable. The 660s is also actually more 3-blob-y than the 6XX – another shocker. However, as mentioned before, the 660s handles vertical space much better than 6XX, creating a much more convincing sense of soundstage height.

Detail Retrieval

The DT880 initially comes across as the most detailed of the three because of its brightness and more aggressive presentation. Upon closer listening, it maintains a slight edge over either Senn in detail retrieval in the bass and the treble. The 6XX and the 660s are slightly more detailed in the midrange than the DT880. The 6XX probably is the one with more resolution in the mids, and the 660s is the one that’s smoother and more forgiving. Both of these qualities have advantages in certain situations.

When To Use These Headphones

The 6XX and DT880 both are a bit on the picky side. The 6XX is very transparent in the midrange and will wander into shouty/honky territory if its source chain (amp and DAC) aren’t strong in the mids. I learned this the hard way the first time I owned a 6XX. I was using a DAC that didn’t do so well in the mids from its single-ended output and that translated into shouty and honky mids, and was not particularly enjoyable. The DT880 has similar challenges in the treble. On a source chain that doesn’t handle treble very well, it will get sharp and shrill to the point of piercing sometimes. I did not notice such issues with the 660s. It sounds pretty good – probably the best of these 3 headphones – on the ~$75ish (and ESS-based!) Topping D10 DAC, and Atom ($99) or Liquid Spark ($109) amps. The midrange is smoother and more natural on that stack with 660s than the 6XX and the treble is pleasant and reasonably detailed where the DT880 can get over-the-top sharp (especially on Atom).

Moving up to the Modius + Asgard 3 pile of Schiit, the 3 headphones are on a roughly equal technical level across the board and signature preference will make the determination as to which one is the favorite. On this stack, the DT880’s sharpness is largely tempered and the 6XX’s mid-shout is virtually absent. IMO, the Asgard 3 in particular is the entry-point for when the 6XX and DT880 should be reasonably considered. The DT880 can sound pretty good on the Liquid Spark most of the time, but still gets a bit shrill even on that warmer amp. With the Asgard 3 its treble sharpness will be a non-issue for all but the most treble sensitive listeners. The 6XX’s mids really need the warm, steady hand of the Asgard 3, though. The 660s is quite enjoyable and competent. It has its own signature that some will find appealing. But, at $500 it’s not yet separating itself in technical proficiency from either of the other $200 headphones.

It’s when the source chain moves into the (multi)kilobuck range where it becomes difficult to justify the 660s costing $300 more than 6XX or DT880. On the Hugo 2 + HA-1AMK2 combo, the 6XX’s mids sound very detailed and organic, with stunningly natural timbre considering the price point. The DT880 musters hints of meaningful bass texture and has treble timbre every bit as good as what the 6XX delivers in the midrange. The 660s sounds better than it did on the $400 Schiit-pile but does not sound as technically proficient as the 6XX or DT880 at this level. It lacks a standout feature that the other two bring.

What does this mean? It’s tricky. My read on this is the 660s is a mid-fi-priced headphone that should be priced more in the $200-250 range. It would be a solid headphone at that price and wow many audiophile newbies. While I’ve not heard it, my understanding is the Massdrop + Sennheiser HD58X kinda is the 660s
almost
at $185. The prices of the 6XX and DT880 are also misleading. They are priced as entry points into the headphone-enthusiast game. But they require a healthy investment in the electronics that drive them to hear what makes them so special. They are mid-fi headphones priced at the entry-fi (for enthusiasts, anyway) level. Some of that pricing is because they’ve been around for a long time and so paying for development cost is no longer necessary. The Senn HD650 was $500ish once upon a time, and so was the DT880 long ago. [The core DT880 design has been around since 1980!] Nonetheless, the 660s is a fine-sounding headphone that seems to be struggling for a true place in the market. Yes, it’s signature is different, but not that different. It’s a fine headphone that doesn’t really have a niche, IMO.

And then there’s tubing. A great party trick the 6XX has is that it’s essentially 2 headphones. It has one signature for solid state amps – which is pretty good – and then really wakes up on a tube amp with more alive bass and treble. The DT880 isn’t quite as dramatic but also changes its behavior significantly between solid state and tube amplification. The 660s doesn’t change as much as either of these other two. Does it sound good on tube amps? Yes. It does. It sounds good on solid state amps too. It just doesn’t transform to the degrees that other Senn 6?? do and doesn’t match the difference the DT880 gives either.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The above probably makes it sound like I don’t like the HD660s. That’s not true. I genuinely enjoyed its sound when I listened to it on its own merits. I spent several dozen hours with it before comparing it against the HD6XX or the DT880. I enjoyed that time. I really did. I was pleasantly surprised. But then I did put on the HD6XX and DT880. And every time I go back to one of those two I think “why don’t I listen to these more?” The effect is not the same with the 660s because it doesn’t scale up like 6XX or 880. At that point I started looking at prices and numbers. It’s a total of approximately $675 for the HD660s, Topping D10 (now D10s), and JDS Labs Atom. It’s $620 for Schiit Modius, Schiit Asgard 3, and HD6XX or $600 if you swap the DT880 for the 6XX. The experience with the Schiit stack and 6XX/880 is better than 660s + D10 + Atom. The experience with the 660s + Schiit stack is about the same in overall quality as with Schiit stack + 6XX/880 but is also now $900 instead of $600ish. At that point it’s more cost-effective to get the Schiit stack + 6XX/880 and another complementary headphone for $300. And then either the 6XX or 880 will stay relevant in your collection several upgrades down the road when this hobby inevitably leads you to thousand-dollar or more amps and DACs. The 660s will run out of tricks up its sleeve.

For me the bottom line is the 660s is an enjoyable headphone that makes more sense if you can land it for ~$250. Even $300 is pushing it, IMO. It has a different signature than DT880 or its HD6XX sibiling, but not different enough in my view to justify $300 more for it. It’s an enjoyable headphone that appears to struggle to make its own unique mark on the market and justify its $500 price tag.

Thanks for reading another long review, all. Enjoy the music! :beers:

13 Likes

Great review! Thanks for this.

This is really the stand out trate for me on the 660s. I can listen to them all day every day and not get fatigued. They are just pleasant, like driving down the freeway in an old cadillac. Smooth, floating over every bump in the road.

But what I also like is when a song comes on that I like, and I want to engage with it more deeply, I can focus on the music with these and get the depth and detail of the song. Not the same level as something like switching to 880’s or Sundara’s. But I’m surprised how these can go from laid back background listening to detailed critical listening in a moment, just by shifting my focus. It’s hard for me to push 880’s or Sundara’s into the background while I listen to them. They demand my attention. These don’t do that. But when I give them my attention it is rewarded.

Ultimately this is why they have stayed in my collection. Some days I just need an easy rider that doesn’t push themselves on me. We just go with the flow.

Again, great review! Love your style and attention to details. When is the YouTube channel starting? :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I think Sennheiser are living on a reputatuon they established with the HD580, HD600 and HD650. Many of their products are very average and wouldn’t carry much weight without the name. I really don’t see the HD660 as an improvement on its illustrious forebears.

3 Likes

Your first pargraph reminds me of the Sundara’s. Very pleasant, very smooth and nice with everything, but great at nothing.

I love them for what they don’t do. I find the 660’s very neutral or transparent, I am not sure of the correct phrase. They do NOT colour the sound like my Grado’s, Elex’s or Cascades. And they work well on all of my amps. I bought mine open box and am Very happy with them. Lots of headphones come and go, but I really can’t think of a single reason to get rid of these.

1 Like

Got a few rounds of plastic surgery scheduled so any kiddos who stumble across a hypothetical channel aren’t scarred for life :laughing:

2 Likes

Thats why Z uses a go pro

5 Likes

1 Like

I appreciate this post/review as I started a thread a while back asking this very question!

1 Like

I compared the 660s and the 600 for myself a while ago and what I found was that 660s more enjoyable for me. I use this as my midrange vocal and rock headphone.

So while the midrange and the vocals are not as much forward on the 660s as they are in the 600 I still found them just as good isolatet because the 660s presents everything with more soundstage. So everything is pushed further away and this is very pleasing to me. I feel like both present the vocals with the same isolation but the 600 is forcing it’s way trough into my head while the 660s makes the vocals available by pushing everything else further back (Still beeing more forward then most other thing!). It’s just a less agressive approach for me.

Also I can use the 660s from my phone and it is just fine. Combined with the good fit it makes a good headphone when walking around in the house or outside.

I agree they are overpriced and loose almost every battle against my Sundaras, but look out for sales and you can get yourself a nice set of cans. Got mine new for 150€. Crazy.

2 Likes

Hi guys,
I just recently bought new ear pads for buyers DT990 from Dekoni, and I am amazed by the results.
Now I have noticed they are also available a lineup for Sennheisers as well.
Do you have any experience or recommendation on which ones pair best with 660S?
I have seen in one youtube video that fenestrated sheeps skins is pretty close to original but more comfortable

Dekoni has its own graphs which they measured with the 650.

all of their Pads distort the sound drastically, measuring in average 6db difference at 1khz, yikes. maybe you’ll end up enjoying the way the sound is modified but if what you are looking for is fidelity to the original sound signature then you have to look elsewhere.

1 Like

I’ve now owned my HD660s for about two months and really enjoy them. I’m convinced the negative reviews stem entirely from the high MSRP, which encourages people to expect a major step above the rest of the 600 series. They are not a major step up, but they are better, and yes I’ve owned 650s and 600s. Are they worth $500? I rather doubt it. But I paid just shy of $300 for an open box set, and at that price, which is roughly what a new HD600 goes for (and used HD600s aren’t much cheaper, though one does pop up from time to time), it’s terrific. For $300 I only demand that they be superior to the HD6xx–which they are, and at least as good as the HD600s, which they are. They are better than both, and enough better than the 650 to make me feel good about the fact that I did not opt for an HD6xx.

So what do I like about the 660s? More and better bass than the 600; better bass than the 650s. Wonderful clarity and imaging. Fantastic comfort.

My one real complaint has been the 10-ft cable, which on my desk is a mess. I just fixed that: a 5-ft cable from Periapt just arrived.

3 Likes

Had to return my defective 660s to sennheiser after 2 days of usage. Was suprised that i needed to pay for shipping costs back to the company. They will only give me a refund and then i need to reorder. I was not expecting having to pay for shipping with such an established company. Especially when i just received the item 3 days ago.

That sucks. Did you buy directly from Sennheiser? PayPal would cover return shipping. Really crumby of them to charge return shipping for a brand new defective product.

Thank you. Yes purchased directly from sennheiser. On the headphones.com site they are blaming me for not reading sennheisers return policy before purchase. Who would have thought there would be problems returning items just purchased that are defective. This is not some fly by night company!
Cost $41 for ups shipping.

Are you located in the same country as the dealer/supplier? This should never happen, but I can almost see it if there is international shipping and customs.

Im in the same country.

One other situation that my wife reminded me of.
Sennheiser only offers you a refund. You need to repurchase. However the price is now $100 higher! Even on Amazon it’s back to 499. So if i want to repurchase, it will cost me $499 plus tax! So thats another $107 additional cost!
Yet there are fanboys that don’t see a problem with that.

Wow, you really are getting screwed! You might want to look at a new brand. I have owned six Sennheisers and only have the 660’s left, which will probably be moved in the near future. I am not a fan of the Sennheiser house sound and will never buy another set.

2 Likes

I have the focal elex and it is the polar opposite of the sennheiser sound. Very aggressive. You either love or hate it.

You are correct. I love my Elex’s.

1 Like