Share snapshots of your present ENDGAME =D

I’m with you there. I just don’t think the value proposition is there for the BF2. I don’t know for sure that it will sound 3x the price better than what I have now. Actually for me, the station that needs the DAC would be the headphone rig, so there is some flexibility there, but even then, I don’t think I can justify the price. I keep thinkin about it though.

It helps that you can’t get one right now anyway, which in itself is pretty sad.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that value proposition and Hi-Fi gear don’t usually collide in the same sentence, do they? LOL!!

Truth be told, I have discovered there are varying depths of rabbit hole one can go down. There is value to be had in the art. All in all I feel like I have done reasonably well in procuring gear that sounds really, really good and yet is not overly expensive. All in I am at a little over $1,700.00 for my current desktop setup. Not too bad.

Is it end game for me? I don’t think so. But it’s not far off, either. There will always be that desire to go just a little further! In fact, I did pull the trigger on a pair of Sundara’s today. Don’t tell anyone… :smile:

2 Likes

This hobby is one of the best examples of the law of deminishing returns. The next 1% increase in sound quality will cost you a lot more than the previous 1%, so for me it is about finding my level and then only ad stuff that makes a difference.
An example is the streamer I got; it improved the SQ quite a lot as I got my flac files and streaming away from a noizy computer. That was a better buy than a new Dac or Amp in the same price bracket. Not saying I won’t upgrade there, but for now I am happy.

6 Likes

Its all about enjoying the music ultimately. I think too many of us (myself included) get caught uo listening to the gear and not the music. Ultimatekt, if you like how your music sounds, it doesn’t realy matter if you have grand utopias or 2006 skullcandies. You are at end game

3 Likes

Amen to that…times i’m lost in music with £50 IEM’s and no fucks given what so ever :musical_score::metal:

5 Likes

The equipment is fun (I love me a new DAC or amp), but some of the most fun I’ve ever had with music has been on the cheapest setups.

I firmly fall into the category of “COVID Audiophile” - I got into the audiophile game due to being locked in a small room working by myself all day. The music (and this forum) have been a great outlet for me this last year!

After a year of experimenting (winners and loosers for sure) I’ve settled on a setup that I really enjoy. When I sit at my desk I don’t look at it and feel anxious for an upgrade. I enjoy it. So for the near future, this is “end game”. I may add a Loki EQ to my Asgard3, just for some extra fun at my listening chair. But overall I am in a place where I enjoy the music and the equipment that I have.

Desk Setup (desk not actually curved, just an artifact of the panorama picture):

The equipment (XLR switch box to route Soncoz “L-whatever” DAC between RNHP and Erish, weighted door stopper to minimize microphonics in the Erish… or just to keep it from sliding around…):

Atom Stack to drive desk speakers - iLoud Micro Monitors (storm trooper to keep unwanted EM radiation interference away, YMMV):

Requisite backside view (iFi SPDIF iPurifier 2 connected to CCA for network streaming via ROON:

The wall of headphones (w/ Abraham Lincoln to remind me that “all headphones are created equal”)

And the listening chair (adding a Loki EQ would be fun, especially when I use this for watching movies - APTX-LL Bluetooth receiver hidden under the shelf, CCA used to stream audio via ROON, and the weighted door stopper on top of DAC to minimize microphonics :rofl:):

Honorable Mention (not pictured here):

1. BTR5 for mobile listening - this device never ceases to amaze me
  2. DragonFly Red into Topping L30 for listening at my cubicle at work on the random days I actually go in (it’s an odd setup, made out of parts I couldn’t return and didn’t want to sell). I keep a set of kph30i and blon BL03 at the cube to listen to - so if the L30 blows them up it’s not much loss.

Again, thanks to this forum for a great year! I wouldn’t have survived COVID without you!

25 Likes

I just moved and haven’t finished moving or decorating yet, but that’s okay. It’s been way too long since I have updated on my end game setup.

(Ugh, couldn’t even hold my phone straight)

34 Likes

really is a pleasure to see your endgame updated. And the new place is looking sick af.

2 Likes

Ditch those CCA’s for a couple of Raspberry Pi4’s for one heck of an upgrade in sound quality. Your gear and headphones deserve it.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve drug my feet long enough. I was so impressed by the cost & convenience of just using the optical output on the CCA when I first found them I setup with them in all my listening places and never looked back. ROON handles them so well I’ve never felt like I’ve missed out on much. But you are probably right and it’s time to just bite the bullet and learn how to build and setup a Pi2AES… or proposition the WTB thread for anyone interested in selling me one already built.

I had a few of those CCA’s when they first came out. Like you said, they’re easy, cheap and convenient, but they also lack in sound quality.

The Raspberry Pi4 is very easy to slap together and get up and running. Just install Ropieee or RopieeeXL and you’re good to go. No need for the PiAES. Just use one of the built-in USB ports into a DAC and you’re good to go. The Pi4 has upgraded USB so it is no longer noisy like the older models, and with newer modern DAC’s, USB sounds excellent and zero fuss.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TD42S27/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WG4DW52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TYQRXTK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-microSDXC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B073JWXGNT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=micro+sd+card+sandisk+32&qid=1619877667&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I have three of these Pi4’s around the house now and have had zero issues with them, all running RoPieeeXL and Roon of course. They all play 24/7, and never lock up and/or crash. And with these Flirc cases, no need for a cooling fan as the aluminum case IS the heatsink.

These have proven to be better performance and sound-wise than the Auralic Aries LE or Bluesound Node 2i I had over the years.

1 Like

I can see you use “The Darko door-stop method”. Does it work?
Cool setup, and thx for sharing.

1 Like

For keeping light weight amps and DACs from sliding around when you plug in cables, yes, absolutely. And they look kinda cool. But for “microphonics” - I hear no difference.

1 Like

Better show my own endgame right now. I am very happy for it as it is and I think the output is at a high level, so I may update with a new dac and a new SS amp in the future, but I am not in a hurry.

The main setup is Innuos treamer → Ares ii → Cayin tube amp
My computer is linked to the Monolith THX dac/amp.

Yes, I am a sucker for nice cables, especially cobber cables. Idk if they improve the sound in a way I can hear, but part of the fun for me is to have a great cable. And my HP cables are not even shown, only the IEM cables.

The wires under the screen are for my work laptop. And I have bought a 6.35 to 6.35 connection cable so both IEMs and HPs don’t have an issue with cable length.

The Cayin is mainly a speaker amp, but the SE output is very well done, so I love it. I resently rolled the tubes to some very nice Psvane tubes for all 8 tubes; expensive but a good decision. As there is a dac build in, it also has a remote and really prefer that, even though I am close to it.
And the OTG setup is also there, again a Cayin (N6ii) and the Moondrop S8 with a Satin Audio cable. I really like that combo.

My youngest son had a HP breakdown, so he was without and has borrowed 2 of mine. The Beyerdynamic DT 1990 and the Urbanfun 45mm Beryllium. The Beyer was my goto HP whan gaming, so currently I am left with my Aiva, Aeolus and my favourite the Eikon.

The streamer is one of the best buy I have made and it is running both my own Flac files and Deezer and Qobus. I can only rec to get a streamer if you are using your computer and want better sound quality.

Out in the horizon I can see something like a Holo dac and perhaps a Cayin HA 300. But it can also be something completely different.
For now I smile everytime I sit down to hear music. I just need a listening chair…

24 Likes

Thanks for the list of parts! I’ll report back on how it goes.

4 Likes

You’ve inspired me. I’ve ordered the Pi4 parts you recommended. Once I’m up and running I’ll do a shootout between the CCA and the Pi4 and post it to the forum. Should be fun!

3 Likes

I know it’s not audio-related, but I love that Pandemic got unpacked before anything that goes into the TV stand. I should play Iberia again, it’s such a good game.

1 Like

It’ll be no contest. The Aeries and Node2i were major upgrades over the CCA, and the Pi4 is a major upgrade over the Aeries and Node2i.

1 Like

I also have Legacy ready to go when things get back to normal. Have had great times with board games. Gloomhaven is another great one, but a bit more involved.

1 Like

I have arrived.

37 Likes