Share snapshots of your present ENDGAME =D

Damn… nice stuff

1 Like

I like your choices in headphones. You cover all the headphone bases.

Is that a DIY power amp? :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

I assume you’re talking about the brick next to the 789 in the 1st and 2nd pic? It’s a linear power supply for the Alex Cavalli CTH I got from AliExpress. I checked it with my potentiometer to verify the output current and voltage, well within specs under load and cleaned up some of the unintended treble distortion from the original wallwart.

2 Likes

I asked my wife to lend me a hand

21 Likes

Looks like she lent you two :laughing:

3 Likes

Nice! Color-code the wife, why didn’t I think of that!! :rofl:

4 Likes

No Photoshop involved- she is going to the office like that

5 Likes

what are you listening to thats at 32 hkz? lol

1 Like

which hifiman is that?

That’s most likely showing volume

2 Likes

Lol, I looked at the kbps/hz of my mp3 files recently and found one 24khz file or something. Also one song in mono. :question:

Ananda connected via Elex 4 pin. I have a DIY 4 pole 2.5mm made from Mogami 2944 with 2 pole Sennheiser 3.5mm connectors for the ear cup connectors. Works for both the Elex and Ananda.

1 Like

About all music recorded pre 1960 is in mono

Yes but it was from a 1995 metal CD lol. Probably some crap I got from Napster or LimeWire a looong time ago.

2 Likes

lol yeah lotta the early rips were not that good

The Drop 789 is 210mm wide, RME is 215mm wide, and Monoprice 887 is 221mm wide. FWIW, the Topping D90 is 220mm wide, making it an essentially perfect stack with the Monoprice amp.

The RME+Monoprice stack is not perfectly even; however, there’s no “muffin top” effect like there is with the Drop amp. The Monoprice is a little shorter, too, (51mm vs 57mm), which helps the whole stack look a little more sleek.

I’ve got that stack (RME + Mono 887) at home; I’ll post a pic one of these days–gotta clean up my desktop first. :wink:

2 Likes

I dunno, messy desks are sort of a tradition. Isn’t there something about smart people and messy desks? Einstein and Edison’s desks were both disasters if I recall.

4 Likes

:laughing:

7 Likes

It’s more of an issue of busy desk than messy desk. Perhaps I should have just said that I’m in the midst of reconfiguring the Bat-Computer. Here’s an old pic for reference:

This was taken shortly after the initial build of the desk (~mid-2017), before any desktop amps were in place. This setup serves multiple purposes including work, personal computing and console gaming. I snapped this pic to showcase playing 8 copies of Gears of War at the same time to unlock the Seriously achievement (10,000 kills in online matches), which is much easier when you control the entire lobby, lol. It took me ~2 seasons of Breaking Bad over the course of 2 1/2 days to accumulate the 7,000-ish kills I needed to unlock my achievement.

The monitors are 4k and can tile 4 1080P sources. Some of the consoles driving this were part of my main theater setup; my 8x8 matrix switch piped those feeds over to the desk via a fat bundle of long HDMI cables (visible on the floor under the keyboard’s spacebar in the posted pic). There were an additional 4 xboxes hung from the underside of the desk. Breaking Bad was playing on the big screen + loudspeakers; I mirrored the feed to the top left quadrant of the left screen so I could follow along (my wife and I were rewatching the series for the second time).

Getting back on topic, the main rig for this desk has been my Aune X1S + X7S and a Little Dot MKIII:

The RME + Monoprice amp are taking over as the new reference. I am also cobbling together a makeshift laptop tray for my MSI gaming laptop (pictured above), and I have some other audio stuff (microphone, Elgato capture device) to rewire.

So the “cleanup” I mentioned essentially means getting everything in its right place. Although, yeah, there’s a little bit of dust and clutter to manage, too. :wink:

11 Likes

That’s amazing. A serious bat cave!

I have to ask, though. How do you manage to play 8 instances of the same game at once?