Should I buy the Blon B20 or Audeze LCD2 C?

if you buy em on amazon you can return them instead

it seems like your tastes are on both ends of the spectrum. the dt11990’s and B20 are very bright headphones however the ndh 20s and the LCD2c are very dark headphones. If I didn’t know any better Id think you were trolling

The ndh20 isn’t dark I would say, but it does have a bit of a bass hump. But not really that much soundstage either, and the 2 classic has more soundstage and better impact so he might enjoy it, but it is a darker signature than he is used to. The 2 classic for 400 is pretty good price too

1 Like

the ndh20 is not dark!? :astonished: are you sure?

well I mean you did only listen for like 20 minutes lol. Its more warm with a bass hump, but I don’t find the treble recessed or lacking or anything imo

1 Like

lets agree to disagree

Ndh20 is definitely not dark… Warm and bassy? Yeah. Dark? No not at all.

NDH 20 definitely not dark. They can get a bit hot in the treble, if anything. You can call them Colored and V-shaped for sure (Just like the Sendy Aiva)… but definitely not dark. lol

I think they are more slightly U shaped a bit imo

Yeah, you are probably right about that.

The NDH 20 is not dark. Some may consider it dark compared to their preferences or dark compared to their collection of headphones, but by definition and frequency response, they are not at all dark. I’m sorry, but if something shares the same treble frequency response of the Beyerdynamic DT1990, calling them dark is laughable.

Maybe you are confusing timbre with frequency response terminology (such as dark)? Either way, it by definition is a gross mischaracterization to call them dark.

I think sometimes people get so comfortable with their own preferences and some of this ridiculous audiophile terminology, they misspeak.

Would like to know more about this part. So we should not use dark to describe the timbre?

I know there are no official rules for this(or there are?) but it’d be good if we all use the same words to avoid confusion

I’m quoting this from a website article that goes into excruciating detail on timbre

"Timbre depends primarily upon the frequency spectrum, ALTHOUGH, it ALSO depends upon the sound pressure, staging, depth and the temporal characteristics of the sound.”

So frequency response is really just a small portion of the timbre equation. It is a very important part of it, but too many other parts of the equation are required to just use a statement of dark, warm, bright, cold, etc.

1 Like

So to me timbre is how a headphone makes an instrument or vocal sound. Something with good timbre sounds life-like, a horn sounds like a horn. This is separate from frequency response. A bad timbre would be farther from life in it’s tone

2 Likes

Yes, good stuff. It really is the overall sound of the entire frequency spectrum, the staging, pressure, definition, separation of all audible things. An example is the HD600. Some consider this a bit shouty/brightish with the upper mids boosted at 3500 khz, but overall the timbre is intimate, natural and warm.

Although I, as a drummer and bassist, believe the sub bass is the only part of the frequency not as natural sounding as it rolls off, but the overall timbre of the HD600 is natural. It is the sum of all it’s parts.

1 Like

Honestly, audiophile terminology confusion is one of the main culprits of hobbyists disagreements. People can say what they want about Z, and I at times am at odds with the things he says…but I really appreciate the fact that he tends to stay away from a lot of the terminology and when he does use it, he tries (and sometimes fails painfully) to describe it in layman’s terms to his audience. That really is one of the best things Z does for his audience as he knows a lot of people watching his videos are new or newish to the hobby.

TLDR, Timbre is a tricky and fickle thing and is sensitive to your entire source chain of parts, from audio source all the way to headphones.

Your gear, source and power delivery can effect these things as well. It is why so few can overwhelmingly agree wholeheartedly on sound. Let alone different human qualities such as size and shape of ear, jawline, headsize effecting seal, distance of driver, etc.

1 Like

I started an off topic post on audiophile terminology so that this thread doesn’t become highjacked.

Eww no it’s a good headphone but in the realm of these two you’re asking about LCD 1 lacks a lot in comparison. But for a mobile headphone it’s not bad.

I mean I would personally take the lcd1 over a sendy driver lol