Should I buy the Liquid Carbon X?

From what I read it’s not included by default anymore and you have to ask for the crossfeed circuit to be included if you want it. I figure if I want such a thing I can just enable a dsp for it instead of having it on a non-disableable hardware level.

Interesting, when I heard it I talked to someone there and they said it was just on there and not a choice, but it was super subtle tbh. I don’t think most people would have noticed the difference that much anyway

“Analog crossfeed circuit can be added by special request.” Is what it says on the store page. Honestly I don’t know if I should ask for it or not because everyone says how subtle it is. It might be that it’s a selling point and I don’t know it.

It’ll make the sound more “spacious”, and possibly a bit more natural feeling.

Yes, a good analog crossfeed is better than a digital one imo as well. But it really depends on your tastes. I just know it was originally designed to have that circuit I think

I’ll have to think about it. It is a neat feature.

Just bought the Tuba with the walnut panels and I decided not to get the crossfeed circuit added. Hope it gets here as soon as possible, pretty damn excited to hear it. Also bought the ixacell rca splitter you rec’d me and another pair of seismic audio rca cables to use with it. I’ll finally get to hear what people are going on about with saying that zmf is amazeballs with tube amps. ; p

2 Likes

Danggg very curious to see how you think it stacks. I’m pretty sure it will be an improvement :wink:

It’s hard to imagine what an improvement would sound like when it already sounds so awesome, but literally EVERYONE that has a tube amp, whatever it is, loves them on tube amps. Haven’t seen a single comment stating the opposite.

2 Likes

Mon, you mentioned the Eddie Current/Massdrop tube amp. You’ve heard it and it gets a recommendation from you?

Because I found one on eBay for $40.

If it isn’t a ring or a dolphin necklace I wonder why it’d be $40?

Nooooooooo not again lol

Yes for sure :+1: especially for what you can pick them up for

Glad to hear it, I’ve heard the same from others. I impulse bought one earlier today. Used, on eBay for not forty dollars. I’m excited to give tubes a go.

2 Likes

Nice, let us know what you think about it :+1:

Just got the shipping confirmation for the Tuba, awww yeah. I’m so impatient for it, I know I ordered it on the 29th, but the wait suuuuuucks v_v.

1 Like

It shipped out quicker than I thought it would tbh. Sometimes shipping for smaller places stops for New year’s

Yeah, I didn’t expect it to ship until, like a week from now maybe, I had a custom cable ordered from ebay that isn’t going to ship until like the 10th. That doesn’t mean I don’t have to still wait on usps, though; no idea when it’ll get here. And my anticipation is off the charts ^^

So I decided to look into the change for the crossfeed circuit, if it was designed with it in mind and ended up finding something interesting out about it. From Jim Hagerman’s facebook page:

"After discussions with a (well known) reviewer, I’ve taken his recommendation and will now offer the TUBA without crossfeed (still available per request) as standard.

Doing so boosts gain a bit, allowing me to implement the latest accidental discovery: wiring output transformers in reverse! That is, 8 ohm tap is now ground, ground is now 8 ohm. Polarity is corrected by swapping primary around too. Ok, sounds totally benign. However, the 4 ohm tap now turns into a 2 ohm tap reducing actual output impedance on LO tap from 15 ohms to 5 ohms (driven by EL84). It has 10dB less volume than HI tap, but the difference driving cans such as Grado or Sundara is clearly audible. What was a tad woolly is now tight with more control. I’m not the best at describing this, but I know you will like it.

All units moving forward will have this change (unless you want crossfeed, in which case there is not enough internal gain leftover to make it worthwhile). Anyone with an older unit can have it upgraded at no cost. Just email me. !"

It sounds like not only was the crossfeed circuit removed, but he also made changes/improvements internally from the original design which would make this a silent revision. It’s basically a Tuba v2 now.