SIMGOT Un-Official EA500 CULT THREAD

You almost got me here!
I ordered a set, but cancelled the order.
My order was 68€ though, with 9€+1€ of reduction. How did you obtain 53€?

Sent a PM with link

Thanks man :slightly_smiling_face:
I can’t use it, but it’s cool you got this one. At that price, I guess the ea500 is a no-brainer!

1 Like

Just going with whatever filter they came with. Not into trying to change filters as I’m not sure I can change them myself. Hand eye coordination not being what it once was.

1 Like

I’m new in the iem market and I was thinking to buy my first one/two sets but before press the button I’d like to ask an opinion about my choice, I was thinking to grab the tangzu X hhb planar and a 1dd like simgot ea500 (first choice), olina se or Kato, is the Kato really a step up compared to the other 2? Does it really make sense buy 2 sets or better buy only one more expensive set like dusk or tea2?

Honestly the Kato is a sidegrade to the EA500, comes down to preferred tuning.

2 Likes

There’s nothing about KATO that’s worth double/triple the price of EA500:

• nice metal shells :white_check_mark:
  • tuning nozzles :white_check_mark: (and EA500’s do more to alter the tuning)
  • Harman-neutral style tuning :white_check_mark: (EA500 is smoother IMO)
  • excellent technicalities :white_check_mark:

Other than it being the Moondrop name, you’re not getting anything more from KATO

5 Likes

yeah, Kato is overpriced imo. On the same level as the Dunu Titan S to me. (which might be the norm at that price point now.)

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback.

This is what I’ve currently got and it’s a solid combo :+1:

The planar excels in sub-bass and has planar treble whereas the EA500 excels in timbre and mids.
So for hiphop, R&B, electronic the former excels whereas for rock, metal, classical the latter is better :notes:

Only thing that’s missing in both is dynamics and soundstage but honestly neither of those are really any good in IEMs and you’re better off buying buds/headphones :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Red. Tried Black a couple of times but always came back to red.

1 Like

I’m on black with foam+micropore mod.

I really wonder if my red and black were the wrong way round, I’ll see if there are visual differences to compare later.

Makes sense from personal experience that for me a later gain (but before 5k) tends to sound smoother than an earlier one for me.

Edit: just ripped out the mod. No tape or anything at this exact minute, maybe tape will go back on soon. The modded tuning was pretty fun but the overall feeling wasn’t anything more special than the JD7 (so still good). It didn’t have the unique feel the simgots first had for me, maybe it just over Harmanized them. Neither the mid or sub bass had notable texture or other features at the modded levels.

5 Likes

This is pure theorizing but I’m noticing my IEMs which have more texture appear to be less isolating and so I wonder if those are related since the most texture still comes from buds and open-back headphones :thinking:
Oh and same with clarity actually now that I think about it

Like I still have an unvented BA that has no texture and a DD that also has no texture and driver flex so both are very isolating

My hunches and half memories would agree that a breathing driver is a textured driver and that unvented sets tend to be less textured. :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

I would agree to that in IEM but maybe not elsewhere like in Car or home audio where the enclosure plays a greater role in the tuning for speed and control of the drivers.

Interesting point.
Along those lines I am seeing (hearing) a correlation between sets like DM and EA500 and Dunu Falcon pro and sets that DO NOT have the flat mid to gain (flat mids) but have a possible sub roll and bloom to the gain
Those sets have emotive engaging musicality while sets with flat mids sound lifeless in comparison.

All of those sets are “musical” and have great “texture” but do not look ideal on a graph while Variations looks cool but sounds dead and lifeless.
My opinion and ears and library but DM EA Falcon 1.1 all sound engaging and textured in the rythm >vocal region

8 Likes

I’m all about putting some respect on the mid-bass and lower mids. They get ignored way too much!

2 Likes

HBB is right! :wink: I have since abandoned the flat-mids IEM. They sound dull, dead, but clean and lack any musicality. IE 600 , Falcon pro., Mele ,Olina, B2 OG, S12, Kinda Lava etc. are 1000 times more musical than flat-mids hybrids /tribrids/DD over $1000. Fact!! People, in their pursuit of being audiophiles, miss out on the musicality and enjoyment of it. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

For several hours spent between cleaning the dishes, the floors, the tabletop, and trying to get my head around some bootsrap/css to put together a little visual portfolio site (losing an hour tonight is going to hit hard) the Simgot EA500 with spiral dot tips and the black nozzles were all I had in the whole time, and I had a great time. Only very slight inner-ear discomfort after all that.

9 Likes

Simgot EA500 eartips rolling:

STOCK TIPS: Best comfort, disappear in your ears! look identical to KBear07 tips, but with black core and softer silicone. Highs sound softer than KBEAR 07 tips, but louder than Spiral Dots. It is in between.

JVC SPIRAL DOTS: Second best comfort. Widest soundstage of all tips, probably due to its widest bore. Highs sound smoother. Cymbal and snare strikes sound slightly softer, less sharp, blending in better with midrange. Overall sound becomes more open and balanced. I can hear all spectrum of midrange more, my attention is not stolen by high frequencies cutting through.

KBEAR 07: Third in comfort. Look identical to stock tips with slightly thicker silicone, comfort almost as good as the stock tips. High frequencies more pronounced?, snare and cymbal strikes, some electric guitars sound sharper, not sibilant, just a little more sharp /forward than I like. Overall sound becomes more V-shaped, the overall balance is worse because highs take your attention away. Soundstage is slightly narrower compared to Spiral Dot tips.

AZLA Sedna Earfit Light Short Tips: Good comfort. Tight and punchy, best subbass of all tips. Spiral Dots bass seems to present with more midbass vs sub-bass. Soundstage is narrower, similar to stock tips. Highs are similar to stock tips.

Listened with Truthear Shio DAC.

My favorite are Spiral Dots tips at this time. Enjoying EA500 more than Olina OG with double filter mod. Bass is better on EA500, overall timbre is more speaker like than Olina

12 Likes