šŸ”· Singxer SA-1

Okay now that Iā€™m back home, Iā€™m doing some more tests with fresh ears. I moved the SA-1 into the office so I can have an ideal setup to do comparisons against the RNHP where theyā€™re both running off the ADI-2 (RCA so I can use my switch). Using my EARS rig, I volume matched the two headphones to within 0.2 dB.

Iā€™ve only tested the Clear and 6XX so far, but Iā€™m feeling more positive about SA-1. Iā€™m finding the SA-1 to be a tad warmer and having better bass kick. But overall, the RNHP was clearer. I suspect M0N is right (as usual) with his comment about low level detail being smoothed over. So at the moment, the SA-1 seems more like a side grade to the RNHP. For the Clear and 6XX, Iā€™d stick with the RNHP. Other headphones may be a different storyā€”especially if you could take advantage of the huge power headroom the SA-1 has.

So now Iā€™m wondering if I just donā€™t like Ares II with the SA-1. I wasnā€™t thinking that or the Mojo could be worse than the ADI-2. Iā€™ll do more comparisons another day (my ears require rest lol). Also disregard any comments I had earlier about the mids becoming recessed. I think it only seemed that way because the SA-1 exacerbated that Sennheiser ā€œveilā€.

1 Like

did you try running xlr out the back of the sa-1? if so, did you find there to be any notable differences? i like to run my chain completely balanced throughout if i happen to be using a balanced amp just for the peace of mind

that could be. definitely keep us updated on your findings! thanks for sharing

1 Like

I was running balanced with the Ares II. But no, I didnā€™t notice any difference. I donā€™t think my hearing is good enough to pick up on that kind of thing 99% of the time. But normally I go balanced when available since, if one is better, itā€™s always the balanced port. With the Ares IIā€™s outputs I donā€™t think it actually matters because the outputs are tied directly together. To my knowledge, thatā€™s not typical and balanced line level voltages are normally higher.

2 Likes

thanks for answering that

I had to pull out the Taurus listing because I noticed a noise from the right channel. Currently contacting Auralic but I doubt itā€™ll go anywhere since itā€™s an older model. I understand your pickle though, I hope that you are happy with your order once it arrives!

1 Like

how many days until the soloist arrives? :roll_eyes: i mean, have you been given any aproximation? @marcgii

Sorry to disappoint. But I ended up cancelling the order. At $1200, I figured it made more since to spend a little more to get a higher tier amp like the GS-X mini. But if a used Soloist shows up on Headfi for the right price, Iā€™d most likely go for it. Or if you want to try it first, I could message you as soon as I see one (on headfi)

thats a good strategy Marcii, good luck and thanks for writing! :cat:

Hello! Iā€™m thinking about to try this sa-1 amp, but maybe it is worth to try something different second-hand? Amps with retail prices like 700-800$ which can be purchased for 500-600$? Is there any alternatives to sa-1 that way?

For example: Liquid Platinum is better amp?

Somebody hear A30 pro and sa-1 in comparison? A30 pro is very good, interesting is it worth to try sa-1 as replacement?

I think understanding what gear you have would help a long ways with being able to suggest alternative amps.

Has anyone tried the Argon MK3 headphones with this amp? Do they make a good pairing?

1 Like

Definitely get them balanced. I listen to my TRP50s at 5-6 oā€™clock on high gain.

1 Like

Also being on a limited budget (married a princess) would the zen dac pair well?

1 Like

Zen Dac should do well, I plan on trying the blue dac v2 when itā€™s out. Right now I am running mine with a JDS Labs ELII DAC and itā€™s sounds pretty fantastic.

1 Like

Has anyone done an A/B comparison between the Singxer and the Jotunheim 2? Iā€™m contemplating selling my Jot2 to upgrade to the Singxer. But Iā€™m curious if it really is an upgrade. Any thoughts on similarities and differences are appreciated.

Think Lachlan at Passion for Sound did a compairision to the Jot 2 in his Singxer review, could maybe be help you in your decision

3 Likes

Yes he said he preferred the Singxer over the Jot2

Thats great to know looks like this could be a great first amplifier for me thanks was worried it wouldnā€™t have enough power to properly drive the Argons

1 Like

Has anyone tried running the 4.4 and 4pin XLR out at the same time with 2 headphones? I have tried this and canā€™t tell if there is any degradation of quality.

The SA-1 has so much power headroom, I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it still worked well driving two at the same time. Though Iā€™m sure itā€™s possible to push it hard enough for it to degrade the sound.

2 Likes