Singxer SU-2 DDC

Hello there! Wanted to ask, how are you liking the KTE version? (I was recently recommended picking up an SU-2 or SU-6 for my chain, so I figured I’d ask!)

Guys, need some help please. Just got my Sda2c now and downloaded the driver from singxers web page, but windows doesn’t recognize it…any thoughts?

Hello,
Try a another USB port.
Which version of the driver file did you use?
The current version should be Audio Usb 5.12.

And if it has been installed, there should be an icon with Usb Class in the bottom right-hand corner of the taskbar when you restart the computer.
Then switch on the Sd2 and it should work.
Otherwise, click on the speaker symbol and see if the output is selected correctly.
It may be that it has not yet been selected and you need to change it.

Looks like @GoldenOne posted some measurements of the SU-2 KTE! Re-posting here in case others are interested, and also because I own an SU-2 KTE and purchase validation is a thing :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Hello,
If you only use it for streaming and cd applications, the normal Su2 will be quite sufficient in my opinion.
I think it only makes sense if you really have studio applications where it makes sense.

I think the test shows that it is clearly better after the mod than the Su 2 and Su 6.
If anything it would be interesting to see the difference between the normal Su 2 version and the tuned version.
I’m almost sure the normal version is not too far off, so not even 50% better.
Spending 600$/€ more for theoretical measurements and changing some coefficients is a bit much even if it is up to everyone.

I recently connected the Su 2 to the Little Dot Dac 1.
There was not much difference.
It gave a little more smoothing, a little more treble and a little better 3D texture.

Considering that this Dac was created in 2008/09, the implementation and components available at the time only goes to show how good a Dac can be when the
implementation is right.

Where I noticed the biggest leap and improvements was with the Denon 800ne.
When I leave the room and stand in the kitchen I can still hear the clear voices and instruments vibrating.
On the Sda 2c, even now after well over half a year of use in the combination, the improvement was not quite as clear as on the Denon much more present.
So a small improvement is still borderline for the price.
A small increase in all areas and 3D representation.

Where the Su 2 is obviously really good is with poorly designed hi-fi stereo amplifiers with a less good Dac or amplifiers that don’t have one like the vintage amplifiers from the 80/90s.
Provided it supports an analogue input.
And of course really bad usb implementation of the dac.
On the Little Dot Dac 1 which only supports Usb 16/44 versus coax, coax was slightly better but the Usb port wasn’t even bad even if it was limited.
So all quite sublime in my perception.

8 Likes

Thank you for your video.
You addressed everything that needed to be addressed, thank you.
There were two points I missed.
Under Su2 it would have made sense to explain and mention the dip switches.
That you also have to set them depending on the Dac.
The second point you mentioned towards the end was whether it would be worthwhile to compare Modius and Bitfrost.

1000$/€ for Bitfrost and Su 2 is a bit much, that’s true, because you can probably get better for the money.
In the meantime I have personally connected the Little Dot Dac 1 which came out at the end of 2010 with the Su2 via Coax.
The dip switch position was the same as on the Sda 2.
My impression of the combination was that the sound quality was subtly better.
I can well imagine that the Su 2 makes sense with a less well thought out implementation of the Dac.
Like the Modius, for example.
Which more or less clearly represents that.

The fact that I personally didn’t get the impression that the Little Dot dac 1 makes a huge leap in combination shows that the implementation is quite good and quite close to the SDA 2 and that we are talking about a good 8 years difference in time and that there weren’t the electrical components then that there are now, or at the time the SDA 2 came out, roughly taken as a personal reference.
It really seems to depend more on the implementation.

But there are still alternatives, especially if you only need a coax connection, the F1 from Singxer might be interesting, if you don’t want to pay the full price of the Su 2 or even Su 6 unit.

Not to be underestimated is the possibility of an I2S connection if the Dac supports it, and of course a relatively clean USB signal.

The audio industry could build a galvanically isolated usb signal into the dac with relatively little effort for maybe 10$/€ more.
That would be worth paying for.
It would be also predominantly most of the things already on board,power supply ect…
If you look at the switch boxes like the Singxer F1 it is quite primitive and effectively done.
But for just under 200-170$/€ I am scratching my head a bit.
Let’s briefly return to the Little Dot Dac 1, which has an outdated usb port that outputs a maximum of 16/48.
Compared to the su2 via coax where 24/192 is feasible.
The usb port of the Little Dot was hardly worse and even doubt a bit the added value and price for a Singxer F1 box as an upgrade.

It really makes sense if you have an obsolete port and could spend more via coax.
If you have the file or the streaming provider offers it.
Qubozz is currently still quite open in this matter with Hi res 24/192.
But most of them share 16/48 for the most part.

Mqa makes no sense for Tidal with the outdated technology of the Dac, as it is not Mqa-capable in order to be able to listen to 24/96.

So yes, somewhere towards the end of the video I have to agree with you that it is a bit difficult.
But nevertheless, such a box is always a nice to have, pragmatically speaking.
For those who still have an I2S input on the Dac, I found the added value definitely audible and obvious.
You won’t be disappointed, but it’s not a huge leap either.

Yes @WaveTheory , nice job on the video. While I certainly appreciate the device and what it does, I found that the device I am currently using does a pretty fine job and allows me to feed my Frost via coax, which let me tell ya is damned good. It does this at considerable savings over the SU-2.

I suppose if my system were next level I would look at this unit. For my setup, however, the U2 Pro is just right.

I know this is Su-2 thread but I have a Su-6 question. Does anybody know if this is ok to watch videos with? I.e. latency, audio and video in sync?

1 Like

Hello,
good question.
I think that the quality of audio reproduction is improving.
Cleaner, deeper etc…
But something like a better picture reproduction would not be technically possible.
I hope that answers your question.

Sorry for my poorly worded question. For example Denafrips ddc’s have large latency’s which causes audio and video to be out of sync. I was wondering if Singxer Su-6 would have the same problem or not.

Cheers.

Hello,
no, I don’t think that will be the case.
As a Su 2 owner, I don’t have these problems on the PC.
Not even on Youtube when I watch something.

I would just try it if there are any doubts, it can only go wrong if it is not good :-).

In another forum, I heard an SU-6 owner say they were getting 13ms of lag (not sure how they measured it), but if so, that’s less than a single frame of video, so I’m pretty sure you should be fine.

Anecdotally, I watch videos all the time through my SU-2 and I don’t notice any latency.

1 Like

Looking for some DDC advice and thought this was an appropriate location. I’m currently looking for a DDC to run I2S output to my dac (Holo Spring KTE) and take USB input from my streamer (BlueSound Node 2021).

I’m considering the following DDC options:

Singxer SU-1 KTE ~$500

Singxer KTE SU-1DDR (Dual Discrete Regulators) | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Matrix Spdif 2 ~ $400
Matrix X-SPDIF 2 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Singxer SU-2 (non KTE ) - $400

Singxer SU2 usb bridge + Kitsune DC kit + Linear Power Supply Combo Photo #3586128 - US Audio Mart

Singxer SU-6 ~$700 (new)

Singxer SU-6 XMOS XU208 CPLD Femtosecond Clock USB Digital Interface (shenzhenaudio.com)

I have no experience with any of them and was wondering if one stands out as “the move” or the best investment of the bunch? I have no clue if a KTE version really helps the DDC or if going from a SU1 → 2 → 6 are big leaps? Also does Matrix make a better product than Singxer?

One last question… I made a post for BlueSound as they are currently still working through bugs in making their USB output work. They have promised a “fix” pending.

Bluesound Node (2021) USB Out & Linear Power Supplies – The Bluesound Support Crew

I asked about the status of USB output and wanting to pair it with a DDC for I2S input into my dac… Their response:

"Yesterday’s update did not include USB DAC output, not from lack of trying though and we are still looking to add it very shortly. That being said, it is very unlikely it will support I2S.

As for the power supply, Bluesound Players are not kit products and are finished goods. There are no user-serviceable parts in your Bluesound NODE. I would also suggest we put great care into our hardware engineering to deliver the best product possible."

Is it fair to say as long as their USB output is working any DDC should be able to accept that output, then reclock, then output to my dac via I2s? Or is there some requirement that Bluesound has to make their USB output DDC & I2S compatible?

Are you running to a Holo Spring 3? Just thought I’d mention, my impression was that the Spring 3 KTE had a good enough USB implementation that you weren’t going to see much benefit going to a DDC. (Not sure about earlier Spring models.)

Anyway, I’ve been really happy with my SU-2 KTE, and my understanding is that the stock SU-2 and SU-6 are both still good buys, just depends what you’re looking for and how much money you have. (SU-6 is higher-performing, but SU-2 supports higher sample rates.) No comment on the SU-1 or the Matrix DDCs.

EDIT: Oh, I should also mention, I’m running AES out of my SU-2 KTE, so I unfortunately can’t speak to the I2S pinouts or anything.

Spring 1 KTE and the USB input is terrible… The spdif is just ok so I either need to go AES or I2S.

If it were you would you go SU-2 KTE over SU-6 if starting over?

I enjoyed playing around with upsampling, but for most of my listening, I don’t use the higher sample rates, so I’d probably recommend the SU-6 for someone starting over. That said, I have no intentions of “upgrading” from the KTE or anything, so really, if you find a good deal on any of the SU-2/KTE/SU-6 models, I’d say just go for it tbh.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, the CMD-17 with femtosecond clocks was noticably better than the su-2 when I tried them so idk how good overall it is if a $150 shoddily made DDC beats it. I’d be interested to hear your impressions of whatever you end up with though.

1 Like

Try the douk u2 pro first

1 Like