šŸ”· Sivga SV021

Depends on your taste but iā€™d go for the 99s, overall better sound In my book.
Its an overall more pleasing sound, if I had to compare the 2 iā€™d call the 021 like a kit-kat the chocolate is nice but the wafer is a little too ā€œsnappyā€ for my taste, while the 99ā€™s are more like a Mars bar, filled with gooey goodness and is always fun

1 Like

Ok but in terms of sound. Which one has wider soundtage?

Neither one is what i would call wide compared to something like an openback, but I think the 99s is wider

also you can swap pad to the 99ā€™s you cant really with the 021 unless you tear off the pad from the adapter ring and glue it to a new one

Iā€™ll throw in that I had both and dollar for dollar the Robin is way better better stock pads better build and I preferred their sound
meze would only have wider soundstage if you pad swappedā€¦the pads are way too shallow

Well for me Robin has an airy sound than Sundara.

Like i said its a matter of taste, thatā€™s why I said its like a kit-kat (the hollow fairly airy wafer compared to the gooey center)

OOOOOH, Gooey Centerā€¦ :laughing:

1 Like

I just published my review over at Head-Fi:

Itā€™s not what I would consider a positive review, but it is a review with positive intentions!

I agree on pretty much everything (particularly the whole bending issue) though I think you were a little harsh on the sound part, its far from great but some folks like it,but like I said, ill take the 99ā€™s every time over the 021. One thing iā€™d throw into the review is mention that you cant pad swap them without that adapter ring (if I missed it, sorry)

1 Like

Itā€™s possible that I was harsh, but itā€™s my genuine opinion. Perhaps I lack some of its direct competitors like Mezeā€™s 99 series. The overall sound performance was quite heavy and fatiguingā€¦ but I guess it depends on your mood. One day I can live with it, the other I cannot stand it.

You are right! I forgot to mention about the pad swapping system (which is actually quite nice!)

it could be that im more forgiving to it since i have less experience with a wider selection.
Anyway, the 021ā€™s pad system is a double-edged sword, sure its easy to change pads, but if you want to pad swap to something that isnā€™t Sivga you have to somehow jerry-rig that adapter ring to a new pad.

1 Like

Wow, you tore them up pretty good. So, are you really surprised and shocked that a $300.00 pair sounds a lot better than a $150.00 pair?

As far as bending headphones goes you should probably stay far away from Kennerton headphones then. I recently got a pair of LSA HP-2ā€™s from Underwood HiFi that are manufactured by Kennerton. I had to spend a LOT of time bending my $800.00 headphones for better seal and more bass. Was I happy about that? No! Do they now sound awesome? Yep!

The Robins are a very cheap, nice looking headphone with some big bass. I was thinking about grabbing a pair when I get working as something to wear at lunchtime without having to worry about an expensive pair disappearing at work.

I really donā€™t get people comparing these to Meze headphones. My Classics were more than double the price of these. I suppose the Drop models are closer in price.

Here in Canada the Meze 99ā€™s are $399.00 (I owned them for a couple of years and loved them). The same company regularly sell the Robins for $169.00 to $179.00 in Canuck bucks.

Are they crappy headphones at the $150.00 price point?

personally, I compared them to the Neoā€™s 200$ vs 150 (sometimes 170), so its a fair comparison.
But even with the cheap price that does not negate some of the points the @voja brought up, and im not just talking about the bending. even in sivgaā€™s own line up there are better headphones, like the 006 and the 007 sure they design isnā€™t as refined as the 021 but in terms of sound I prefer them.

As far as "

No, and no one said they are crappy but there are a lot of things that Sivga could (and have done) better

I think that at that price point, you are going to get pretty basic.
A set of Drop Noirs would be almost $300.00, landed in Canada (exchange and shipping), while the Robins are currently on sale for $179.00. All in Canuck bucks. That is a sizable difference.

Ignoring/not comparing them to Phoenix would be pretty ignorant from me, considering they share the same driver.

However, you do make a valid point!

Does Kennerton use plastic? Are there any concerns when bending them? @ShaneD Iā€™m genuine interested about this one.

My perspective is very customer-based. When I write an article, I really put in a lot of effort into whether I would want someone to spend their hard-earned money on something. When you take Sennehsierā€™s HD598 into consideration, SV021 seem like aā€¦ letā€™s not even go there.

There are a lot of sub $200 options that way outperform the SV021.

Is it fair to compare an open-back (HD598) headphone against a closed-back (SV021)? No. But you get the point Iā€™m trying to make. There are a lot of headphones on the market that do not suffer from such flaws.

I know damn well that SIVGA couldā€™ve done a better job and I am not happy with the way they tried to brush it off. This release felt like ā€œoh, we know people like our previous releases, letā€™s just release this and they will buy it tooā€.

1 Like

neos are 200$ on amazon, not 300 (unless you are talking on CAD)

I owned some cheapies a while back including the X2HRā€™s (sold within a week) and the HD598cā€™s (best $99.00 headphone I ever heard, back then). I donā€™t think I would recommend either one to someone today.

At this price you are almost looking at Best Buy and Beats for closed backs.

Just seemed you were pretty harsh. I still might pick them up as a cheapy closed back to throw in a kit bag and not worry about.

1 Like

As I said, ā€œCanuck bucksā€. That is in reference to Canadian money. I guess I should have been more clear.

1 Like

Ya that reference went over my head :smiley:

Harsh, I was. However, I do think that the harshness was well-deserved.

I havenā€™t had a chance to hear Sennheiserā€™s 660s or 58X, but I could recommend the HD598 to anyone. Iā€™ve been an owner of them for over 6 years (I believeā€¦ at this point I donā€™t even know how long Iā€™ve had them for).

A very well-built headphone that doesnā€™t disappoint sound-wise, and has the best rubber cable (lol! yes, I am obsessed with HD598ā€™s cable).