šŸ”· Sivga SV021

My first impressions on sound (Chain is Spotify>D90 OG>A90):

These are easily the bassiest headphones Iā€™ve purchased so far, though my other sets are only KPH30iā€™s, Fidelio X2HRs, Elegias, and Sundaras.

I gave into my temptation to A/B them a little with the Elegias, since theyā€™re the only closed backs I own. Besides the obvious difference in bass, listening to orchestral pieces the Elegias still stand out with regard to detail. Soundstage seems to be similar so far but I havenā€™t really focused on that as of yet. Theyā€™re also as easy to drive as the Elegias.

Listening to rock and metal is a different experience entirely. Iā€™m really enjoying what I get from the Robins when listening to everything from Ace of Spades to Zzyzx Rdā€¦

Some other impressions so far:
I have a large head, and Iā€™m not experiencing any fit issues with them, the pads are extremely comfortable, but I could use just a little more padding on the headband, nothing a sleeve wonā€™t fix.
Save for the KPH301i theyā€™re also the smallest headset I have, by a mile, and theyā€™re EXTREMELY light.

6 Likes

Damn, Iā€™m still now sure if I should return these. I got used to the treble but they are a bit large for everyday carry.
The only alternative that improves on that would be the QC35ii but Iā€™m not sure if they are comparable in sound quality.

Grabbed a quick photo of my freshly delivered unit before subjecting it to the cruelty of FM radio for burn-in.
Those pads are very soft and the clamp is so even.

Only that photo in the album so far.

10 Likes

Iā€™ve received the sivga yesterday. Although i like warmer sound, i wasnā€™t a fan of the phoenix, which had some shouty peaks in the mids and treble and compined for my taste.

I was able to listen to the sivga for 1 h yesterday, so these are my quick and initial impressions:

• comfort is really good
  • the padding of the headband and the pads and also the very soft foam of the pads doesnā€™t convice me. I think that these parts wonā€™t be really durable. The rest of the built is nice.
  • good bass quantity and punch. My k371 has more bass punch, but more in the kickbass area, the sivga has more subbass
  • subbass extends low, but distorts at the lowest frequencies
  • soundstage is wide and has good seperation, quite impressive for a non open back, but my Denon 2000 is still outperforming the sivga
  • treble is quite bright and has sometimes a hint of sibilance. Could be quite fatiguing with bad recordings

I like this headphone more than the phoenix, but i donā€™t think, iā€™ll keep it. The biggest cons:

• i miss some energy in the mids. The k371 has a quite good and meaty or fullsounding midrange. The sivga is a little bit recessed and lacks detail and presence. While gaming i couldnā€™t hear as much details as with the akg, which has a much narrower soundstage.
    -The sivga isnā€™t really a closed back, it has vents. So it is semi-closed. I wouldnā€™t use them in a train or bus. Since i have an semi closed headphone with the denon already, i donā€™t need another one. I was looking for a fully clised back. If you want a closed back with warm sound i would choose the meze 99 classics, the akg371, sony mdr-1a (mk1 or 2) or the b&o h6 instead.

Iā€™ll give them some time to burn in and will hear them for the next days.

1 Like

Hello all, new to the hobby so apologies for the basic question but I am not familiar with the specific connectors used to plug into the headphone itself. Can you run a balanced cable with this headset?

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum :smiley:
In 99% of cases where you have dual jacks (like on the SV 021 with dual 3.5mm) you can run them balanced. There special cases but the SV 021 is not one of them

Just make sure you have a balanced cable and a balanced source

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Would disagree. Just because they have ā€œventsā€ doesnā€™t make them ā€œsemi-closedā€.

I personally found them to behave like closed-backs. They donā€™t leak much sound, and Iā€™d consider it to be more than safe for public transport. I used mine at home & found the isolation to be okay. I used them while vacuuming and still heard the vacuum.

So, I guess the argument is valid if we are talking about isolation.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a balanced 4.4mm Pentaconn with mine. It has the 2 x 2.5mm cup connectors. Cables with the dual 2.5mm connectors are a little harder to find than dual 3.5mm but theyā€™re out there. These cans scale up nicely with these cables due to, as a general rule, getting more wattage out of balanced connections. Also doesnā€™t have the micro-phonics of the stock cloth covered cable. The stock cable is very nice and high quality but you gotta remember to not move around much or it can get annoying.

2 Likes

Didnā€™t think about that with the stock cable. Spent time looking today and think I will go down the Hart Audio Cable path. Seems like a good way to go and they have all the connectors I will need.

Thanks for the feedback.

While not recommending that specific cable, since I have no experience of it (but love my Tripowin Zonie), take a look at the Tripowin GranVia currently for sale on Drop. Selecting the 2.5 mm TS (Tip, Sleeve) connectors for the headphone end and each of the

• 2.5 mm TRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Sleeve),
  • 4.5 mm ā€œPentaconā€ TRRRS (Tip, Ring, Ring, Ring, Sleeve), and
  • 4 Pin XLR

for the amplifier end will show you all the common balanced headphone connector options.

PS. a ā€œheadsetā€ is a headphone with a microphone - often with a cable which looks like a balanced connector, but which carries the microphone signal.

Now leave and donā€™t look back if you want any money left for inessentials like food and shelter.

1 Like

Iā€™m currently using a HAC HC-7 for my SV021, works just fine balanced.

2 Likes

Just arrived, burning in with my TA30 but so far they sound pretty good.

6 Likes

:ok_hand:

3 Likes

For dance, bso, 80s-90s pop and some filmsā€¦ (80% music, 20% films)
MEZE 99 or SIVGA Robin?

Itā€™s doing well in all frequency, especially in bass.
Sound is kind of vivid.
For this price, SIVGA Robin is worth to try.

Need some Burn in? My Sivga donā€™t have much bass.

you might need some burn-in (i did 24 hours on mine), but also make sure you have a good seal, because the SV021 doesnā€™t have any horizontal adjustment built-in (you actually have to bend it - Zeos did it in his video) that might effect your bass a fair bit

So, for youā€¦Sivga Robin or Sivga Phoenix? For ENJOY music.

MEZE 99 or SIVGA sv021?

1 Like