SMSL SAP-1 Class A headphone amp for 90$?

It probably is, but just because it says class a doesn’t mean it’s good lol. Not saying it can’t be good, but being class a doesn’t make it inherently better than a class d or something

3 Likes

Still interesting. For the price, I’m considering buying it, testing it, and giving or selling it to a friend if I don’t like it. I wonder if I’ll hear the difference. If 270 mW @ 32 ohms of Class A is enough for my T50RPs, etc etc.

1 Like

Also, that’s the cheapest Class A headphone amp I found. If anyone knows another one, please tell me. :slight_smile:

Edit: Did not mean to reply to you, I screwed up, sorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

It should be fine, but you might end up benefiting from more power

Also this is an interesting class a. You can diy a pretty good class a somewhat easily

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32809757991.html

So, ehm…
It technically is a Class A, a fully integrated Texas Instruments Class A. The TPA 6120A2 (marked 6 in the picture below) to be exact. To all of you on board this hype train, that chip may be familiar.

Implementation looks to be just like in the RNHP: An exact implementation of the TI reference circuit.
In difference to the RNHP, there is more filtering between the power plug and the TPA6120A2

Honorable side note: HUGE seperation slots between high voltage (power input) and low voltage (audio in).

4 Likes

I noticed that as well, I linked that ali express amp with the 6120A2 too. I have heard a few diy with similar ti chips following the ti reference it they did sound different, I would assume because of the quality of components inside?

1 Like

I guess?

Am yet to get that chip in the mail, so no tests done yet.

2 Likes

Excellent… so, I’ll buy the SMSL soon, lol. Thanks :slight_smile:

I am also considering buying one, just for giggles.

1 Like

I am also considering one, because random internet people are considering buying it.

4 Likes

I’m not considering one because I don’t need a $90 SS amp.

2 Likes

I can sell it to you at a 500% markup if that makes it better :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

But Class A! And someone said it might sound similar to RNHP!

integrated circuit that does Class A

Who said that? I just said it used the same chip. :wink:

3 Likes

Better get an r2r dac too or you’ll miss out on significant quantifiable quality

1 Like

Exactly. Definitely enough to start a hype train.

80% of RNHP for 80% less

3 Likes

Is that not the atom tho lol. Or something like the archel 2.5 pro

How do you know?

Note to future self witth disposeable income: Buy scope that supports summing of input signals and make “DAC/Amp/etc. accuracy comparison”-thread.

Lol I already got the Atom. I’m just curious about Class A… for cheaper than the Atom even.
I don’t expect it to be better – just different. The “all the power all the time” thing.

SMSL says 100dB SNR and their measurements are always like 5dB more or less than ASR measurements. Proof enough for me that at least it will not sound like crap.