Smsl SP200 THX AAA 888

Low gain about 10 or 11 o clock gets them more then loud enough. Just casual listening maybe 9

Do you hear any quality difference going to high gain on a lower volume setting for the same volume? If that makes sence

i dont think so. but i am wary of going to high gain. my experience in the past with electronics is using a gain feature tends to produce a graininess. but i dont think that will apply here.

Thats so strange. The sp200 is 6w P/C and you have it on 10/11 o clock. I have a fx audio that is only 1w P/C and I have it on 11/12 o clock. How can that be since the sp200 has so much more power

Gain does not equal power. The level of the dac will determine the amount of extra gain you need on the dac

yeah i was thinking the same thing. if this amp is so powerfull why am i having to turn it up so high. on most headphones i go up to 12 on low gain.

It’s because you have the su8 balanced in, which has a higher voltage in so a louder signal. If you swapped to rca on the su8 into the sp200 you would notice you have to increase the volume more

If I were to use the dac in the fx audio and run it with rca to the sp200 would the volume setting on the sp200 be lower than the fx audio since the dac is the same but the amp is stronger?

It depends, you shouldn’t have any issues with that setup

No I agree was just curious in the light of the volume setting in comparison.

I see there is a liquid spark dac from monoprice. Wonder how its gonna sound.

I’m pretty hopeful, as I really like the liquid spark amp, and the stack would be pretty nice

1 Like

Googled it for a joke and found it on the monoprice website. But it does say out of stock untill 26/2/2020 so yea will have to wait patiently.

IIRC the DAC sections of the Monoprice desktop and portable DAC/amps were well regarded. Also they know anticipation is high. It also appears that their non-headphone products generally have had a good track record of late. Odds are pretty good the new DAC will be a quality product.

Yeah, working with Cavalli was also a smart move for them imo, as it’s a solid design that’s not ripped off from some company, but made by a well respected designer for their products

1 Like

I have taken quite a while to warm up to this amp. I know it’s my most powerful amp and it is my most accurate amp. But it just kind of left me cold. I have been keeping it in the mix and using it occasionally.

I just got a new (demo) set of headphones, the Fostex TH-610’s. I decided to start with this amp to show what sound they really had. I was floored, but keep in mind I was coming off several days with the HD58X’s.
The sound was and is amazing. I have never heard drums so prominent. More in rock, but even with jazz, Florence and the Machine and Steely Dan. Definitely a new sound for me.

Today, on day three, I thought I would switch over to my Liquid Spark, which I had been looking forward to. Holy crap! The sound is thin and hollow? I realized that the SP200 is a lot more powerful and I hadn’t even thought about volume matching. So I cranked the volume up. It did get louder, but was nowhere the quality of the SP200. I realize the SMSL unit was double the cost, but the difference with these headphones is staggering.

And while my bubbles were being burst, as I mentioned earlier, before trying these headphones out, I had been using my HD58X’s for a few days. When I first put these new headphones on they sounded like the most clear, full and bassy headphone I had ever heard in my life. This combo made the HD58X’s sound unlistenable.

Finishing points:

1. This amp has won me over in a big way.:+1:
  2. The 610’s are just a ton of fun!:+1:
  3. My recent bargain hunting binge is starting to show it’s limitations.:thinking:
3 Likes

And here i am, just ordered the liquid spark because the sp200 for the money were not worth it. And now I feel maybe I made a mistake. But i must add im going from a fx audio dac x6 to the liquid spark. Think that will be a massive jump. Think the jump from LS to SP200 will not be as big. Or am I wrong. Using the Sendi Aiva

They are both good. Don’t stress about it too much. Both amps have their pluses and minuses. But realistically they are much more alike than they are different.

1 Like

I have been a big fan of the Liquid Spark. Especially as I got an open box for $80.00. It is a GREAT value. However, the SP200 is a noticeably better amp. As it should be for the price.

The LS and the HD58X’s are Huge bang for the buck, but do not surpass units costing twice as much.

I know was just wondering about the quality jump from fx audio - liquid spark - sp200. Will the first jump be as big as the second or not?