Smsl SP200 THX AAA 888

My understanding is the SP200 is more neutral sounding because of THX tech. The liquid spark is designed for a more colored sound with a warmer sound signature. The SP200 will likely also be more detailed. However, you’ll likely notice the differences in sound signature first. My ears told me the FX audio was a bit warmer than neutral as well. So a direct answer to your question is the quality jump is probably bigger from FX to LS but the change to SP200 is going to give you a different overall sound presentation.

2 Likes

The thx stuff tends to lean more towards the analytical side of things, so you are correct that you would be going from the liquid sparks smoother, and a bit warmer sound to the thx harsher and more analytical sound. The thx is better able to control it’s power and output which leads to a more snappy sound as well

There are times where I would take the liquid spark over the thx, and vice versa

1 Like

I have never heard your first unit. The LS is very nice. A little warm/coloured. Which I like.
The SP200 is painfully neutral, but with the right headphones, it is Amazing. But I have never heard your headphones. So far, I have preferred the LS with my Grado GH2’s.

We all hear differently. Just like with cars, buy the best you can afford.

As long as I hear a quality difference ill be happy. Thats basicly it.

the liquid spark might match well with the Avia’s. Its a warmer amp and the Aivas are a bright headphone. I was using a Schiit amp and a Modi DAC and they are bright. in combination with the Avia it was far too bright and i had to EQ them down.

When i got the SMSL SP200 i right away heard a big improvement over the Schiit.

Anyone ever experience a loss of resolution with their sp200 amp? I’m listening to it and i swear it doesnt sound as good as it used to. Theres nothing specific i can put my finger on. Just one day my Aivas sounded great, the next day it did not. Same for Elex. How do i send this into SMSL for repair? Tell them it just doesnt sound that good anymore?

Can you identify why it doesn’t sound good? Have you introduced something new into your signal chain or changed anything?

Just not as detailed? I havnet changed anything.

Hmm, is your dac doing anything?

Nope. I shut everything down and brought back up the way you told me. i always do that. First off amp, then comp then DAC. Then to power back on DAC first, then comp, then amp. I dont move it around. They stay were they are. Amp stacked on DAC.

I did just connect audiophile power cables to them a while ago. You know the colored big thick ones? But i thought they sounded better after. Havent had any problems.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. How are you feeding your dac? Perhaps some settings changed there. Also try swapping those cables and see if that changes anything

Is there a way to reset the settings on the Su8 DAC?

Ok i reset the DAC and same thing. Could it be my ears are getting used to this quality of sound and im not getting the kick out of it i used to get?

1 Like

That was immediately what I thought when I saw you initial post but I wanted to double check there wasn’t an issue before saying it lol. You seem to jump around alot for what you like or dislike at the time, and what impresses you or what doesn’t

Happens to all of us from time to time

Have you checked your windows settings?

That’s what I was thinking when I mentioned what was feeding the dac, as it could have enabled some audio enhancement garbage or changed the bit depth and sample rate. Or some issues with the source files idk

Bit depth and sample rate sometimes resets itself, I know it does it when you change USB ports for a DAC at the very least.

Yeah that drives me nuts with my laptop lol

Happens to me ALL the time. I love a headphone for seconds, minutes, hours, days and even weeks. And then I get bored or start to hate them. For me that was NightOwl Carbons and HE4XX’s. Others just become less thrilling. It is why I need Lots of variety.