Sony EX800st-2020

You continue to make me cry M0N, lol those look fire btw. Well for mid-fi I’m saying these are king of the mountain unless like a 500$ job is as good. With 1000s I worry about them being well taken care of, and the treble LOL but I’m keeping my eyes on them for sure :slight_smile:

What amp are you using with them just wondering? You can control the treble with a warmer toned and smoother amp

1 Like

So far I’ve primarily run them on my v20, but I have run them on my 788 a few times too. I tried gaming in them and was surprised at how good they were for that. I need to get a warmer source on hand, but at the moment its just pure and in my face LOL.

I wish Sony still made these lol

1 Like

Knock Knock, Drop.com we summon you… LOL Honestly the cable is my only worry, adapters are not cheap, but once I get one I will feel 10 times better.

1 Like

Sony sits above the competition :wink: I will do the review this weekend so help me. Gods give me the power of a 3 day! :smiley:

3 Likes

They are great and I love them! Flawed cable and all. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

These are great indeed! We’ve just written our review and thoughts of these over at our blog

3 Likes

Not a bad review. Yea they are a benchmark 100%. Also glad I’m not the only one the cable scared/had difficulty with. The stop tips were ok, but I think swaping to the final audio ones are a must with it too. Treble is to taste, mids are strong on this IMO, but I tend to like energetic upper mids and lower treble so I can see that as taste as well. Bass is perfect for a neutral sound, but it can wub with a sub bass boost. The only thing I tend to like to boost(not on the oh10 tho lmao).

1 Like

@Mufflertape Do you use your EX800st over ear? or wear it down? I might get the EX800st from ebay and also order a new cable for it, but I need to know if it how you wear it. So that I can tell the cable maker to remove the earhooks or not.

Over ear, as far as I know thats the only way to wear them due to the cable etc.

1 Like

Well, I ordered the Tanchjim Hana instead. :joy:

1 Like

I love the pair I have myself. I just ordered a aftermarket cable so we’ll see how that goes. The cable really is the worst part of it, but it works well enough. Also running dekoni tips on mine.

The tape mod is also interesting. Definitely makes a bassy IEM (though probably not quite to bass lover levels). It also gives a sense of airy-ness similar to the T2.

I ended up getting mine for I think $208. Honestly for $200 I think it’s a great IEM, but I am unsure how it stacks up to the new wave of chi-fi IEMs coming in. Especially from Moondrop

Good stuff, yea they are better than the starfield imo, but I dont know about blessing 2 or their new… illumination or whatever lol. I’d say it’s my fav along side my L3.

That will be an interesting one. Keep us posted as I can dig that set.

1 Like

Will do. I will post my review on headfi and input it into my database. Since they are shipping with DHL express I will hopefully have it by next week.

2 Likes

I got a new cable from lunashops for the Sony MDR-EX800ST (full silver cable as well) and oh man are they are an improvement over the stock cable in terms of comfort and feel. On a side note, I almost broke the IEM trying to figure out how to remove the cable. For anyone wondering, you grab the little metal bit above the red and the blue rings and turn them. I tried pulling and twisting the entire IEM before feeling like I might break them.

4 Likes

Yea I got adapters coming for mine, I’m really looking forward to it, but man I really liked listening to them today…still great in my collection. :smiley:

1 Like

Good work from linsoul. Tight fit, very clean and good fit with a preformed tripowin cable, will try with a pure copper linsoul cable without preformed hooks later. Feel much better now that I can replace cables! :smiley:
Edit: copper :wink:

4 Likes

What tips are on there? They look interesting

1 Like