đź”· Sony MDR-CD900st

I found some deep angled Brainwavz pads that fit really well and are super comfortable. 25mm in the front and 40mm in the back. They’re not really wider but they are much deeper and I think that’s enough to improve the comfort. And I don’t think they really change the sound signature much at all. Perhaps the low end is slightly more relaxed than the YAXI were. But these Sony’s have enough bass to begin with it’s not really a big deal. It’s still pretty punchy.

For fun I tried the stock pads, which I hadn’t done when I first got it, and they are hilariously bad. They didn’t even touch my head. The driver just pressed right against my ear and the pads were just floating in space. No seal at all.

Just got the CD900st + Yaxi stPad2 and am quite pleased with them. I’m treble sensitive, so I flipped the Alcantara to be in front of my ear. These are inoffensive across the frequency spectrum. They have a decent soundstage and detail is good without any sibilance. Isolation is medium – it certainly pushes the air conditioner and computer far into the background. Ergonomically the stock pads suck and the Yaxi pads are 8/10 comfort. It’s a light headphone.

I use the AutoEQ profile stored here to further smooth out these headphones. Now they’re a butter boat. Vocals are less forward, but sound wider apart, and just as nice/detailed.

So far I’m happy with the purchase. These are my easy listening headphones, compared to something like the Fostex T60RP, which is a bit faster.

Question / request for fellow CD900st owners out there:

Last night Titanium by David Guetta came up on my playlist, and I noticed at about the 15 sec. mark of the song, when the drum beat comes in with Sia singing over the top of it, that the CD900st sounded sibilant / distorted on the higher notes of her voice. It was very harsh sounding. I re-listened to the track with other headphones / IEMs and I did not have the same sibilance / distortion. It’s definitely a bright part of the track, but not harsh or distorted on my other headphones. I’m wondering if anyone else has the same issue on this song? Is it my CD900st’s are damaged some how? Is it just a sensitivity with my hearing?

If any other CD900st owners out there could test out that track and let me know what you hear I would appreciate it. Trying to debug the issue :slight_smile:

thanks!

God I love that song, especially some remixes of those vocals So with the Schit Magni Heresy and the Modi 3+ Low Gain around 10 o’clock on the dial I don’t notice anything sounding out of place.
Additionally in Windows settings I have audio output set to CD quality 16bit the 44.1khz.

Could just be what hardware your using to drive them (or just a lot of other variables in the chain)

Tested using this video https://youtu.be/P-gWGlf_VrY

Z did review those headphones: https://youtu.be/s1vNSXojMn0

Thanks for the feedback.

Turns out the sibilance I heard wasn’t headphone related at all. My left ear had caught a virus (strange but true!) It is a crazy story! I wrote about it here: Headphone-Related Injury - #9 by elementze

1 Like

Yes, this review lead to me buying them. @ZeosPantera is bad for the budget! :money_mouth_face:

I really didn’t like them at first and almost sold them a few times. After some burn in, and upgrading my setup, they have turned into one of my favorites. They are very natural sounding and will expose weakness in the source material and your signal chain. Once I put them on an RNHP amp they REALLY came to life. Clear, dynamic, fun. I would recommend these to someone who wants to try something different. They aren’t a daily driver. But are very fun to take down for a taste from time to time.

2 Likes

What’s the name of that AMP or DAC thing with the CD900 1/4" socket

Tried to search for it online and couldn’t find much.

I also discovered these through Z’s video.

My Audio journey went from mostly the older 2012’ish Razer Carcharias to JVC HARX700 to HD280 Pro’s OLD model at the time. To Audio Technicas ATH-A900x Art cans and lastly Shure SRH1540.
And I guess those open back KOSS headpones the cheap ones.

The CD9000st Meets my standard for being

1. Widely adapted within the east for Studio Monitors
  2. The sound signature “taste” in Z’s words (comparing his opinions of the other cans I’ve tried)
  3. Affordability (not $500+ “monitor” headphones I’m looking at your shure and sennheiser)

The goal of my setup was entirely to emulate what Anime studios would have been using in around the 2005-2014 ish era of production.
Honestly they probably even have stuff (like that amp posted above) that I can’t even know about or acquire means of obtaining them.

And considering my definition of “anime studio” spans across a handful, I’m all too sure each one probably uses something different.

But the CD900st seem best to fit the bill in that regard as well as what Z has to say in his own words.
Paired, with how I’ve come to like the sound and the comfort given those Yaxi pads.

It’s my endgame.
Unless I’m convinced otherwise that Anime production really had the M1st’s during that era this is likely it.

(Though if knew what kind of AMP/DAC equipment they had that’d have been stellar)

Yeah, these are definitely tuned for asian music, because they are part of asia’s music history, which also includes sound signatures from older versions of these, pure japanese sony sound.

They are still used today in a ton of recording studios across asia mostly for that, recording, not every mixing engineer would use it for mixing/masters but a lot of them do or at least considers their sound “balanced”.

About their amps, they probably just throw these on the studio mixer, presumably good mixers because japanese music.

I haven’t heard them but I know as much, I got a pair incoming and have high expectations for them, I know their sound signature fits my taste based on several reviews and im sure you do as well, not only because the music is asian it means that you have to like this type of sound signature.

I don’t think they will be endgame for me by far but I’m almost sure they’re keepers.

Ahh yess…" “balanced”. "

Indeed the definition of “balanced” isn’t as hard set as I discovered even using what would have been considered “balanced” monitors. [referring to sound signature not wiring]

There is still always a slight touch of something to skew …or not at all (Soul-less Shure’s)

and indeed the ST’s were just my right perk.

Even with a faulty cable (could be the Amp though I tried it on 3 different 1/4" sockets)
Requires me to twist it ever so slightly until I get an even noise level in both channels.

1 Like

You should get that cable checked, I dont know what its like but that sounds like what happens when the 1/4 cable jack is not properly screwed in, or a straight faulty one, which you could do a detachable mod for or have it done.

Those shures and many other “reference” sounding monitors are often described as being boring, some people also thinks the cd900st are boring, the definition of neutral changes with time and place and I think the current neutral standard for most people is slightly v-shaped for audiophiles (compared to hps from 10-20 years ago) and very v-shaped for average consumers, which may or may not be perceived by them as neutral.

I mean hey point me in the right direction for DIY and I’ll start it reading up :heart: !

I’d be more then down to give these a custom feel, especially if it helps that issue.

On a side note’ is mixing/mastering these with a Magni 3 Heresy too biased? (in other words should look for a different dac/amp)

EDIT*
Just realized modding would probably entail soldering at that point it’s probably a lost cause and just wait for something to go bad enough to get a new pair

Honestly every producer mixes on whatever gear they have, specially the ones starting out, these are certainly a proper pair for mixing and the magni 3 heresy is not too biased, I get its a pretty clean amp from reviews.

Yeah, my dad teached me how to sauter back in the day and I know I fucked up some things I was trying to repair, a pair of headphones included. soldering isn’t difficult but it requieres basic electronics knowledge and tools.

You can find someone who repairs headphones to do it for you and/or check if you can screw/unscrew the 1/4 jack by hand, if not better dont touch it. You can pm me for more info but I don’t have the headphones yet so I cant tell yet. I’ll detachable mod mine.

Got the cd900st yesterday and damn, they’re good. Yaxi studio pads (1) on… I think they are the best headphones I’ve heard for $200, which I paid in total including the price of the yaxis. I don’t think it’s new toy syndrome its tuning really works for me.

-Early Impressions, magnius with LD2mk2 pre used only-

For the price Impressive low end, a lot of warmth but keeps it balanced, extremely good imaging and instrument separation, natural timbre in the mids and treble with no faked detail, intimate presentation with actual depth. Great allrounders.

2 Likes

I know people have stuck Bear pads on them. You can probably find something that will work.

Sony MDR-CD900st vs AT ath-msr7b (comparison)

I have listened a ton of hours on the cd900st by now, even though its a recent purchase I want to review them with a comparison against the msr7b, as I think its too early for me to review them as is. I’m writing this for fun, to share my appreciation and like always, yours may vary.

These two headphones are remarkable closed backs around the $200 price tag, for my taste I would pick both over meze 99 classics.

I’m using both A/B testing and impressions from longer listening sessions.

Chain used:
Tidal > ifi Zen Dac > Little Dot II mk2 preamp (voskhod tubes) > Schiit Magnius

Both headphones sound very good from any source I tried, they are not amp picky at all but they do scale.

I run the cd900st on the SE out and the msr7b on the balanced out, my cd900st pads are rolled with yaxi stpad 1, they sound very similar to stock, just a tad smoother on the treble and much more comfortable.

Build:
They both feature good isolation and comfort (great after pad rolling), linear clamp and good seal with moderately thin frame glasses on. Sony’s headband has way more padding than what it looks like on pictures.

Overview

The cd900st feature a fairly linear frequency response, but they have a rich and warm tonality thanks to their great dynamics, instrument separation and depth (incredible performance for a $200 closed back).

Their presentation never gets very laidback nor forward, I would call it relaxed, the staging feels very true to source in its small soundstage.

The msr7b are slightly v-shaped and bright, they have the characteristic Audio Technica recession on the lower mids, very addicting for female vocals and string instruments.

It doesn’t perform technically on the same level as the sonys but its close, they sound more engaging and fun oriented with a bigger stage.

Song face off

I’ll be highlighting the sound and feeling of some instruments, the songs are for reference.

SNAP! - Exterminate (Endzeit 7) feat. Niki Haris

Early 90’s house, this genre favors the msr7b which pair amazingly well with this song, but it also lets the cd900st show some of their prowess.

msr7b puts the vocals, synths and even some of the detail forward, which results in a more impactful presentation.

cd900st takes a more clinical, layered approach, positioning the instruments voices to the sides, letting the groove of the drums shine in the center before dropping the lead synth.

msr7b emphasizes the drums, making them large and bloomy but they gradually fade down in the mix as more instruments are revealed and take the lead. The flute and guitar have a very very good tone, hi-hats have more air than cd900st.

cd900st keeps the bassline in the background however its more punchy and textured. There is an arpeggiated rhytmic synth which is heavily textured (like trebley shockwaves), it sounds amazing, the msr7b just can’t produce this level of texture (it does have some though).

Cowgirl Clue - A Figure 8

Hyperpop song with a bright mix. No sibilance on either headphone but the ATs can be perceived as shouty, I get a similar amount of fatigue with both headphones if I listen to this song’s full album as its brightness gradually takes a toll.

Msr7b brighter tonality and slightly boosted bass again synergize very well with the genre and song. There’s a fast click sound, its very clicky and satisfying, I also like the forwardness of the vocals. I prefer Msr7b’s bloomier bassline here with the way this song was mixed.

cd900st sounds more wet here, smoother. You can tell the overall timbre is a bit deeper than neutral, kinda like the hd650. I guess its a matter of preference, if you don’t like a sound signature as bright or forward then sony has your number.

Some people find cd900st’s sound sig. boring or not impressive at all. I don’t; I think they add a genious twist to the typical “studio” sound with their relaxed balance and impressive dynamics.

Midori - Rhytm

Jazz fusion with hardcore punk. Very fast song with calm passages.

cd900st shine trough on very busy songs like this one, I really think their instrument separation and overall clarity is superior for a closed back of this price. I don’t have much else to say really, and there’s a good chance this song was recorded (and mixed) with these headphones.

msr7b sound like a mess here, the drums are bloated, which may actually be a good thing to some but I pick clean every single time.

As much as I like msr7b’s forward vocals (and I’m an AT vocals stan) I also have to give props to cd900st’s, they are buttery, not as much as the hd6** line of headphones but close. The electric guitar is very crunchy and the piano has weight.

Closing thoughts

The songs were picked kinda randomly from my library so that’s that, I don’t think the genres matter as much as how the song was mixed for picking a headphone over the other, at the end of the day it all comes down to preference and I absolutely love both headphones, but I do think the sonys are better sounding on most songs.

Compared to cheaper options like dt770, ath-m40x, k361, etc. the cd900st are clearly one tier above in sound. Yaxis are likely a must and cable is attached, so there’s also that to consider.

Compared to similarly priced open back options, they sound very closed (duh), but they take their closed back perks to the limit, If you want a taste of higher end closed backs I think this is the entry point, great dynamics, actual depth, texture and the sweet reverb presentation typical of good closed backs.

On the technical level I think these share a spot with hd6** line (in very different aspects), which is an absolute feat considering those are open and still price representative.

Compared to pricier closed backs, their ease of use, tonal balance and japanese heritage make them a good audiophile pick anyway. I think they have a lot in common with focal elegias, but those would be respectively on the tier above, being a little better in almost everything, specially soundstage.

4 Likes

I did the detatcheble cable mod, here’s how they turned out

5 Likes

I actually just started using the stock pads again and yes they hurt after a short while. But for me the sound is Super direct. I’d say it’s an overall improvement.

Trying to look around for where replacement pads would be of the “stock” ones the

" Genuine Replacement Ear Pads cushions for SONY MDR-7506, MDR-V6, MDR-V7, MDR-CD900ST Headphones - 1 pair (2 pieces)"

Off of amazon seems to be the only result, which I’m not too sure if those are the exact same shitty ones that come out the box for the CD900st’s

Update*

Bothered Reading into the descriptions in Yaxi Ear Pads website in how they describe the difference between the ST and ST2 pads.

Going to be ordering a pair of ST pads soon and see what results I find.
After switching back to the ST2 pads after using the STOCK ones since my last post about a month ago The Wording on their Website I felt 100% described The difference.

So… Very keen to see what the regular ST’s sound like.