SPL Phonitor XE

Success all around, I left it on all night playing on a set of HP’s. No issues, heck it was harder getting my laptop to stop shutting down than anything else. I didn’t join the RNHP gang, but instead got into the SPL gang :metal:

Folks mention it being a bit flimsy, my unit has no give in the main body. It’s a solid, beefy, hefty, large unit.

I like the built in DAC, if ever I get a TOTL set of HP’s that need more than what it can provide I’ll swap out to one of my other DACS or consider a nice R2R or that Prima Luna Tube DAC. Otherwise I’m pretty sure I’m done with SS headphone amps for the foreseeable future. I have a very nice compliment that pretty much covers me from A-Z.

Feel free to visit w/ headphones, we can spend hours playing around w/ a dozen choices. The offer is open to you guys.

7 Likes

Nice, hopefully everything continues to work well for it :+1:

1 Like

You are good people, Nick.

3 Likes

So Nick is not a single entity, and instead multiple beings?

2 Likes

Glad it works, just an aside though, make sure you run it balanced with any headphone you have, just to reduce the possibility of a short, or be really really careful with 6.35mm Jacks when inserting it.

Otherwise, I have to imagine the sound is pretty amazing from my experience, glad you’re enjoying it.

1 Like

I wanna join the SPL gang too D=

4 Likes

That is one sexy beast. :grinning:

2 Likes

I must have the worst ADHD…I got bored and decided I needed to mess w/ the sound.

Sooo, let’s take a $50 EQ w/ some good tubes in it and mess with a $2k transparent, neutral amp to see what we can do to tubefy our sound, and while we’re at it feed $100 M40X’s w/ it :nerd_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :hugs:

End result…They never sounded better!

6 Likes

You might be wondering if Nick has gone crazy???

Yes. Like a fox!!

2 Likes

Hey, I agree…I think it’s cool. It’s not like you are obligated to use that thing all the time or anything, lol.

1 Like

I have SPL Phonitor XE.
They are pretty Good. Fast and transparent and full of power.
Best partners with preamps.Able to present the flavor of different preamps and doesn’t mess up.

6 Likes

Ever had a problem with it blowing up your headphones?

I usually turn down the volum before switch headphones as rule.
Couse I have blown up engouth headphones and IEMs. Not through these thou.
And
If you’v got preamps hooked.
That won’t happen, mostly.

2 Likes

That would be what we call: user error.

1 Like

So how do you avoid blowing up your headphones?

Mainly by using speakers. lol
But on headphones. Amps are turned off when plugin / de-plugin.
Expect mobile devices. Haven’t blown (giggidy) any headphones.

It is a design oversight compensated for at the users end.

Should have ditched the single ended.

1 Like

Yes but still. They should be used as instructed since that how it is. At this point.
“what, where?” i did not read anything or even if i did, did not understand. lol

Even if RTFM is vital to safe operation, why isn’t either of these
image image
prominently displayed in the box?

Also: The fact greater than 40V are put out the front would require a “high voltage” label if used in a professional setting.

lol
Well to me it obvious but i think you are smart enough to figure the answers or where to get the information if you really want to. :wink: