SPL Phonitor XE

Love it so far, I’m annoyed that I can’t get it to mate up to a remote, but. that’s just annoyance and not a need.
I can’t figure out which DAC model is in this one, my understanding is that there are different models of DAC available. Any idea on that?

I’m comparing it to my Sugden Headmaster, which is the cleanest most musical amp I own but I can’t comment yet.
It’s an easy improvement over my LS, and BasX in clarity and detail, that’s apparent immediately. Not so much over the Exogal Comet and Sudden tho, that will take some time to play with.
To be very fair though the headphones I am using with it are barely mid-fi quality and I don’t expect any of them to shine like superstars all of a sudden.

I already bumped up 1 dip switch to boost output by 12db, I immediately found it underpowered upon initial test, but I think i listen louder than most folks…I don’t know, I’ve been spoiled by all the powerhouses here surrounding it.

I need more time with it, of course initial impressions are of adoration and wow! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Lol. Michael Zero Neve!

1 Like

I think you can tell by the maximum reported bit rate.
I think the X only supports the DAC192 not the newer DAC768

2 Likes

how much did it cost you nick? did you get a deal on it?

Just under $1300 shipped, and i have 48hrs to return it if anything on it is broken. Truth is i don’t want money back, i simply really want this thing to work well :muscle: i’m gonna try and get as much time with it as possible but being valentines weekend i promised the GF i would pay attention to her and so i only have s short while to figure out if this thing has issues or not. That’s the risk you always take with other people’s used stuff…

Edit: Well, everything on it seems to work. I’m so very happy, I was really worried about this particular purchase, I don’t like buying stuff without original boxes and paperwork, worries me about how well it was cared for… The only thing I can’t get it to do is mate up with a remote but I only tried one oldie. I’ll find another spare and try that later.

2 Likes

That’s a good deal. I agree gear with boxes and paperwork seems like it has been cherished more.

2 Likes

I’m not sure and it really doesn’t matter but I was curious. The website says the current X comes with the 768xs DAC, but the manual section shows another version that comes with the DAC192 too… :thinking:

2 Likes

The 192 is the standard (base) dac, the 768 is the upgraded option.

1 Like

That’s red is gorgeous, by the way. That’s the one I’m saving for (Phonitor XE, no DAC).

1 Like

Yes, save and purchase the newest version so that it is shiny and scratch free, I highly endorse and encourage this purchase!
Also, I think you will really like how it makes your Audeze sound. It should help get the most out of them

1 Like

Where did you buy it from? also you could get a cheap pair of headphones and leave it running for 48 hours

1 Like

That’s a really smart idea.

That is, unless it caches fire, unattended. :grimacing:

4 Likes

Also a good point. :fire:

I laughed too hard at that.

1 Like

why would do I want to leave it running for 2 days? I already said it’s a well used unit? Why would I risk damaging it possibly. There is no warranty etc on this thing and I flat out own it come tomorrow night.

2 Likes

I think the intention was for you to be able to ‘test’ it thoroughly for yourself within the allotted time you have… by essentially ‘stress testing’ it.

3 Likes

Ah, I don’t know. It works, it’s older, I depreciate the value of things by how many years i get out of them. I’m just happy all the features work. Hell, if i can get it to mate with a remote it will be perfect

3 Likes

I understood Ant’s idea to mean if you run it for an extended period any problems will present itself before the return window closes. I read the 48 hour window as just based on the return window. I thought more like a couple hours, just to warm it up and run it for a bit.

But yeah, I’m sure it’s in great shape. Enjoy your new amp! It looks great! VU METERS!!!

3 Likes

It’s used, I’d assume it has more than a couple of hours on it. IME at this point things either work or they don’t, I understand the concern, but generally if there were hidden issues the original owner would have had them.

3 Likes