SPL Phonitor XE

We all start somewhere, brother.

4 Likes

IMOā€¦ if someone asked me what to get to really just start enjoying good headphones, Iā€™d probably say Get an Atom or Liquid Spark and pair it with a Khadas Tone Board. Done. You may very well have your end game with thatā€¦ BUT then donā€™t get on forums and start reading peopleā€™s impressions on higher-end stuff. lol. Delete your account and move on to other things in life. haha.

Once you move up to THX, then you are already entering ā€œpointlessly expensiveā€ audiophile territory. Nobody really NEEDS 6 watts of power at 16 ohms. Not even close.

IMO, this hobby is just for funā€¦ but and thereā€™s a lot of money ā€˜wastedā€™ for sureā€¦

5 Likes

Correct, thatā€™s why you get a rnhp instead lol

6 Likes

ā€¦:100:

:+1:t4:

1 Like

Not even. I love me the Atom/KTB or D10 stack.

3 Likes

Lol I was joking obviously. To each their own. Definitely not ā€œashamedā€ of owning a 100$ 120dB (or something like that) SINAD amp.

4 Likes

ā€¦and overpowered. 1 watt at 32ohms!!

My Fostex T50RPs disagree. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really? You canā€™t run those off an Atom??!?

You can, but more power is always appreciated lol

Itā€™s more than enough. Half volume at high gain is loud. But itā€™s on loud songs. Non-normalized songs would need more than that, and after 3/4 thereā€™s noise.

So Iā€™d say 1 watt is ok for everyone for T50RPs (even if you sometimes listen to ā€œaudiophileā€ songs using half the audio volume ā€œspaceā€). But not ā€œoverpoweredā€. If low gain equals more or less 500mw, this wouldnā€™t be enough for T50RPs, lol.

2 Likes

Just apply my rule and just say no the T50RPā€™s I have a pair, but I really donā€™t like them.

I love mine lol.
Stock? Treble murder. Shure 840 pads mandatory. They become bass cannons.

Try just turning the foam. These becomeā€¦ completely different after that.

1 Like

I donā€™t have an issue with the treble the issue to me is in the bass to midrange transition, thereā€™s is some sort of obvious transition which I feel makes the whole headphone sound incoherent.
Obviously other people disagree.

1 Like

let me tell you one thingā€¦ I thought about it in some ā€œall is darkā€ hours :wink:

since I have the RME ADI 2 ā€¦ IĀ“m more listening to music and do less research on forums or youtube ā€¦
not that I would have reached a endgame - donĀ“t believe in this for 99% of people and sure not for me never ever ā€¦ever

for me itĀ“s more of a ā€œegg or chickenā€ situation in the next months

with the RME ADI 2 fs (4493) + ifi xDSD + THX AAA 789(may drop came in september) and all my easy to drive headphonesā€¦
I see no point, get me a RNHP which might sound ā€œmore musicalā€ ā€¦it would be a sidegrade and pull me back from earlier getting a real(SPL P Xe) upgrade so I just add a tube amp in the next months

when I get my SPL Phonitor XE at the end of 2020, I believe somehow I need a hard to drive headphone like the HEDDphone - just for example -(maybe in august this year) to justify the amp purchase - wonder now if the THX AAA 789 will drive it ok-ish or the SPL has to be bought first

the ifi xDSD is already so ā€œmusicalā€ in my humble opinion, so the RNHP becomes obsolete(for me) - you canĀ“t get them all (without using send back policys like a cheap out asshole) and if you try it the nice way, you never reach your ā€œhigherā€ goals. There will always be something tempting on the wayā€¦

right after my RME ADI 2 purchase a few weeks ago, I read a review and the comparison with the Biftrost 2 ā€¦ wow and it got me thinking - I confess. Again the DACs are different and one has the features I wanted the last 1.5 years and the other is maybe a touch nicer to listen to - so what(not very audiophile I know)

and it can be, I wake up one morning and get me the Bifrost 2 or the RNHP and tell you all: ā€œwho is interested in my words from yesterdayā€ - which is more of a one to one translation of a german phraseā€¦ hope this makes sense :slight_smile:

1 Like

Theyā€™re the easiest to mod. Just moving the foam makes an impressive, enormous difference. Might fix yours. :man_shrugging:

The rumor about M0N being a Neve is confirmed.

Itā€™s Michael 0. Neve, isnā€™t it?

5 Likes

Ok, I have officially joined the gang here and sporting a nice red SPL Phonitor X, and yes I seriously bought it just because it was red, I like the red equipment, matches my mood, Iā€™m a happy fucking guy :heart_eyes:

Whatā€™s the trick to getting a remote to mate up w/ it? Iā€™m trying to follow the instructions but not getting it to work.

8 Likes

I just hit the button on back (it should click) (Not a press a hold, just a simple press) and the volume knob should zero itself out. After that, just keep hitting volume down a few times, until the red light blinks, then hit volume up a few times until it blinks again. Should be good after that.

2 Likes

How are you liking the Phonitor?