SPL Phonitor XE

Sweet! Congratulations. :+1:t4:

1 Like

congrats on this beast!

2 Likes

@Andrew_Davis
With your Phonitor E, if you set the output gain to high, do you hear any differences between xlr balanced and unbalanced single ended output aside from volume difference?
And anybody else who has the Phonitor E, XE, X too can answer too of course. =)

1 Like

When I first got it I played around with high gain and found that I didnā€™t need anywhere near that much power. Even with low sensitivity planars. And as you know the gain is a dipswitch on the bottom not a knob so Iā€™ve just kept it in low gain.

Iā€™ll probably have some Head-Fi time later today so Iā€™ll report back!

2 Likes

Got some time just now to do a couple times through on a familiar test track, SE, XLR, SE, XLR, on headphones I am very familiar with (Focal Elex). Really tough to volume level because I had to turn down the volume, disconnect the cable from the amp and the cans, then do the same in reverse for the other cable, and then try to volume match by memory.

I tend to question my senses a lot so take this for what you will. Nothing stood out immediately- no noise, distortion or other obvious performance difference. Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe a tiny bit more detail with the balanced XLR?
But probably not. That was probably a volume difference.

Helpful? Probably not. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I didnā€™t ask prior because I didnā€™t want to know what to bias my observations.

But what was I was looking for?

2 Likes

My understanding is that balanced (as opposed to SE) provides more ā€˜weightā€™ and soundstage due to the higher amount of power. This may affect detail retrieval as well.

I donā€™t have a balanced amp, so this is based on readings and conversations.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time. Lol
Yeah, as you said it was hard to volume match. Fast switching is a bit easier with the Hart Audio Cables by just swapping the interconnects though.
But yeah, just felt like I was hearing something of a difference, but itā€™s probably too subtle to really matter. I think Iā€™d rather not say what I was hearing to avoid biasing anyone towards it, though. Lol
It could just be meā€¦ :grimacing: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

So, 600%, 800% the price of SMSL THXā€¦
I understand why people canā€™t call THX endgame, but, with that price difference, most people will stop at THX.

Itā€™s perspectiveā€¦ Iā€™d say the THX is a comparatively tiny jump over a lot of $100 amps as well. Maybe less so than going from the THX than to the SPL amp.

2 Likes

I mean I would suggest people to stop on something like the archel 2.5 pro or asgard 3 imo, as I donā€™t really think itā€™s worth it to go thx at that point (when imo you can get better sound out of the a3 or 2.5 pro). Thx only makes sense imo if you really want something bright and forward, and actually need the power

1 Like

Like even an iphone gets you MOST of the way there to ā€˜enjoyableā€™ musical listening. To some people paying ANYTHING for a headphone amp is ridiculousā€¦ just have to look at it from a certain angle. Iā€™d definitely wouldnā€™t take out a loan for the SPL amp. lol

3 Likes

It also depends on the headphones too, there are some headphones that are just fine out of a phone, and some that just sound pretty bad out of one

1 Like

Synergy is a big factor.

My current ā€˜stableā€™ (:laughing:) of headphones are relatively low impedance, and donā€™t necessarily require a very powerful amp.

The RNHP powers them very well, but I definitely see myself needing to upgrading to something more powerful in the future as my collection grows.

2 Likes

Correct, once you pick a higher tier headphone itā€™s good to look at what it pairs well with and that can dictate what amp you go with

1 Like

Vs smsl thx vs atom?
(Poor peasant with a 100$ amp poisons XE thread with a question about budget amps)

Iā€™d be tempted to get a SMSL THX, but not for fun, for music production. As in, ā€œthis thing makes everything sound clinical and flat, so if the end result is musical, it will sound glorious on everything non-THXā€.

Or is it a bit masochistic? Lol.

1 Like

I would seriously say the atom matches or outperforms the thx for actual music production. I think if you wanted to upgrade from the atom, the archel 2.5 pro is where you would want to look

I see what you are saying for the analytical amp to make the mix come out warmer thing, but I think you then risk overcompensating imo. Also the thx stuff can be too forward in itā€™s presentation and can mess with separation and coherency in your mix imo

2 Likes

There are some exceptions that have lower requirements, but thatā€™s pretty rare.

Focal Stellia is an example of ā€˜top-tierā€™ that are super efficient.

1 Like

Well to have good synergy you have to have a good sounding headphone in the first place lol

Yeah some headphones are designed for portable, but they still do benefit from better amps and sources

1 Like

Thank you very much for the quick answer :slight_smile: 100$ amp pleb out lol.