SPL Phonitor XE

The RNHP would probably be a nice compliment to the Phonitor. I’m saving for mine (Phonitor X), and I’ll be keeping the RNHP. I know a few people who want to add an RNHP that already own a Phonitor. That says a lot about the Neve.

4 Likes

My RNHP is coming in tomorrow or Monday and I’ll go visit a music store next weekend which also has the Phonitor on display. Can’t wait to first hear the RNHP and give my opinion on both of them and how they compare!

3 Likes

Curious on your thoughts, hopefully you like it :+1:

1 Like

I’m telling ya, it’s hard to use another amp when I do studio work, although that mz3 may take it’s place but who knows lol

My first impression of the RHNP was like

7 Likes

Those MZ3 are beautiful. I’m currently using a phonitor E thru a Rme Adi-2 DAC. Super clean and detailed. If I had the money the MZ3 would be on my list too.

1 Like

nearly $4k for the MZ3… wow. lol
That little brick is no joke.

2 Likes

Well it sounds the part tho lol

2 Likes

I really need to take a trip to a show at some point to try some of this really high end stuff for myself. haha

LTA gear is always reviewed with high praise, but definetly high membership fees lol. Regardless I will own one day.

I was very interested in the MZ2, but I seem to have exploding options when it comes to my next HF amp.

1 Like

Technical question. Unlike other situation where wattage goes up as impedance goes down, the phonitor doesn’t. See below. What is causing this?

Or I should say, is it something unique to the phonitor, or is it just my ignorance all things engineering?

Max. Output Power (at +30 dBu @ 1 kHz)

• 2 x 1 W at 600 Ohm impedance
  • 2 x 2 W at 300 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 3.7 W at 120 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 2.9 W at 47 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 2.7 W at 32 Ohm impedance

It’s because with a class a amp, the impedance change doesn’t really affect the output in some design. I get 6wpc out of my gsx mk2 at 50 ohm and 6wpc at higher or lower

1 Like

So this then?

Thanks M0N!!

Voltage and current aren’t infinite, so all amps have some load at which they give peak power, then drop off. Because at some loads it’s voltage limited and others current limited.
The usual trick most manufacturers use is to quote power at whatever that peak is and not quote beyond it.

1 Like

So now properly A/Bin the internal DAC to the D90. The differences are actually very close. It’s mainly the internal DAC outputs at the same level as the unbalanced input… so balanced input has more volume. But outputting unbalanced from the D90 and comparing that to the internal DAC, it’s much closer and harder to hear differences. I definitely hear some odd differences, but it’s a bit hard to describe. They definitely don’t sound identical. Like switching over to the D90 opens things up a bit more… but overall they are pretty close.
My main issue with the internal DAC is it doesn’t have any way to output on the Phonitor E… so it will not work with my speakers. =(

2 Likes

Other than that, it sounds like you scored! The dac was a bonus.

Yeah, it’s nice to have it either way. =) Can’ complain. If I ever want to take the amp with me somewhere, I can use it stand-alone, which is nice.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’m switching back and forth right now with the flip of a switch and I’m thrown off a bit, because it sounds like something is ‘happening’ or ‘shifting’ or something… but it’s so minute it probably doesn’t matter anyway… but it’s enough of a difference where it’s “Something” if that makes any sense…
But probably nothing to worry about really.

1 Like

I would think most high quality delta sigma dacs (with good implementation) would fit this description. At least in my somewhat limited experience that’s my impression- All very close, but not exact.

I say Delta Sigman just because I don’t have any first hand R2R experience.