šŸ”¶ Stax SR-L500 MK2 // SR-L700 MK2

As far as I know none of their energizers have the 5m ohm resistor. Their older models also had this defect, but to a lesser degree. Some models have them and some just straight up donā€™t (more commonly the latter).
I would open your 3ES Elite to check yourself.

Honestly at that price point youā€™re better off getting one of Spritzers energizers or a BHSE. Theyā€™re much better than any Woo stuff iā€™ve ever heard.

Ah, I got mine for a great deal, and he said he did some mods, so I will have to check.

I have heard the headamp and I actually thought the woo was the better amp here for sure. I have not heard a spritzers energizer, but I would love to check out a Megatron V2 and see how it compares

Any idea where I can get a shorter cable for the L700 mk ii? I already have a rope to skip and jump around the house

Damn the way you guys talk about the L500 compared to the L700 I feel like I may have made a mistake picking up the L500.

Has anyone with STAX, particularly L300 limiteds, eq there earspeaker properly like the headphone show Andrew showed. And used the modhouse 3d print mod for the MDR-XB1000 donut pads? How was the Ballence, distortion, tonality, dynamics, clearity, imaging effected? My road to an endgame set up would be helped if someone found the results for this.

I missed my chance of sharing this in About the [Official] Electrostatic category :frowning: lol

Source: Akibaā€™s Trip The Animation - Audiophile

2 Likes

I love to listen my L300 LTD with no EQ. It sounds too perfect. And I am using just the SRM-252S. I know how to be in havens :slight_smile:

I have L300 and L300 LTD. The LTD sounds just perfect. When I listen L300 I want to use EQ.

1 Like

The L300 limited is one of my favourite sound signatures. It just sounds great. Iā€™m running it from a SRM-353X BK.

2 Likes

Did you try them on any other amps?

No, itā€™s a bit easier to justify owning multiple amps for regular headphones but having multiple energisers is not something Iā€™ve done (yet).

Maybe in the future I might try out the portable energiser.

Just hooked my L500s to a 353x bx and damn they are so good. I had a D10 before for them but just didnā€™t seem like enough power for my tastes.

I was just using Schiit Loki+ with L300 LTD.
Lately I upgraded tubes on Schiit Lyr1 and used it as a pre-amp with SRM-252S. It sounds AMAZING. With proper tubes you donā€™t need to EQ the Stax any more.
Or you can buy this tube pre-amp from ali:

It is a must with Stax. You will not go back.

Using my singxer as a preamp and the top end is so sweet sounding now so I can absolutely believe tube preamps would be awesome.

What tubes did you get ? I have played with a bunch of tubes and went back to the stock ones on my Mjolnir2 since the Lyr1 was discontinued :frowning: . What do you like about the new tubes ? I have never worn out a pair of tubes (or so I thought ) . How can you tell if a tube is starting to wear out but still works ?

The stock tubes are colorless, they sound almost like SS, and boring. Thatā€™s why I decided to get new tubes, not because the stock tubes went bad. I purchased RCA Command 5814A with 12Axx to ECC88 Adapters. The sound changed so much that the Lyr1 sounds like a different amp. I will never go back to stock again, Iā€™d better just use Singxer SA-1.
I love Lyr1 with RCA Command tubes.

1 Like

ok buckos where did I fk up.
I just got the L700mk2 and the srm 500T, I am using the smsl ad18 as my pre amp. and all that I can hear is distortion.
helppppp

How long have you had it running for, and what does the distortion sound like and does it occur even when nothing is playing?

Also just to isolate things, can you try a different source from the ad18 like perhaps using a phone as your dac if you happen to have an rca to 3.5mm (which would help find out if itā€™s something wrong with the ad18 or potential ground loops). I didnā€™t know the ad18 had a line out

not long since I couldnā€™t hear anything, the distortion comes on when I turn the volume nob up.
how do I use my phone as dac, you mean as a source for the ad18?

Gotcha

Just a simple 3.5mm to rca cable to test if you have it. You can also remove the dac altogether and see if you still get distortion when you turn the volume up

For starters since both the amp has to warm up and the headphones have to energize, Iā€™d let it sit on for an hour or two and come back and see how things are