Strange possible Grado Knock-off?

just came across and ordered these, The headband, sliding mechanism and hell even the pads look like Grados Though they do have a detachable cable…

1 Like

It looks like they replaced just about everything on the headphone from a Grado. It inherits the design but all the other components are different.

The massive advantage that these have over any Grado is the removable cable. Just that alone is worth it :slight_smile:

For $50 the components look good quality. Even if it sounds terrible you could reuse some of the pieces for a Grado mod.

exactly my thoughts :smiley:
Hell just those pads cost 10$ not to mention the cable which looks great and the leather cable-tie.
But from the few reviews that people have of it it seems like a decent headphone - one thing im pretty sure its on-ear not over-ear at least the size.

And it might be the same Grado driver just not tuned by them :slight_smile:

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn’t Grado make all of their headphones and headphone parts in the USA?

1 Like

I think they moved the lower end ones to china (but im pretty sure the parts are assembled in the US)but i could be wrong about that, they could have also reverse engineered it

There are multiple companies making drivers that fit Grado cups, but not for a $50 headphone. I assume this would be another company that just makes a generic 50mm driver and sells it cheap.

Product pages blurb has “Hand built in Brooklyn, USA”, does not mean parts don’t come from elsewhere.

well its 50$, ill try to compare it best i can to my SR80e, and see how it holds up. Worst case i bought 2 sets of pad, a cable and cable-tie for 50$

Well custom cups for Grados are generally more expensive than this (though they’re also usually wood), plus each cup is terminated separately so if you replaced the driver you’d get a balanced Grado into the bargain.

Damn, those look really nice. I wanted to get a new pair of KPH30i because I broke my old pair, but I might get those instead

Well if you dont mind waiting a month or so until they get here, ill tell you what i think.
Also you can always have another KPH30I, i got 3 One regular,One with yaxi pads, one with HD25 pads (Bass canons)

I’m still waiting for kph30i to be in stock on drop again. They cost 35€ here on amazon germany and I think I paid about 21€ on drop including shipping. And I want the beige version which is hard to get here.

This headphone actually got some good praise on Head-Fi.

I did the “hard” work for you and you can see it was talked about in this thread: https://www.head-fi.org/search/3912821/?q=openheart&t=post&c[thread]=822184&o=relevance

@Naturallymorbid @MazeFrame

Grado makes almost all of their headphones entirely in New York. They injection mold the plastic for the rod blocks, gimbals, and cups in the Brooklyn “factory”. The cups are made by a man in upstate New York. The drivers are from long island. I’m not sure about the headbands, but I think they are made in Brooklyn. The only things they make “overseas” as they say on their website are the Bluetooth things like the gw100 and probably the new true wireless IEMs.

2 Likes

As for these Ali Express headphones here, I’ve seen these parts (rod blocks and gimbals) used in custom Grados before. My guess is it’s just a generic driver (not saying good or bad) in some cheep china Grado looking parts (again, not good or bad necessarily). If they’re good, please let us know. This might be the cheapest way to upgrade an SR60/80 if the parts are good and the stock drivers come out easily enough.

1 Like

Ya iv’e seen a few reviews floating around (and the overall things on the comments of the product) seem pretty positive so im rather hopeful, not expecting it to be the next to be the next KPH30I but it cant hurt to try.

@A_COC0NUT ya it will proably take a while, ill give it a head to head with my SR80E and well see how thing go

2 Likes

Definitely generic parts. I’ve seen a few min “Open-heart” branded things that are all the same parts, just different colors and prices.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/1005001392555681.html?spm=a2g0n.detail.0.0.59af6e68efB5tX&gps-id=platformRecommendH5&scm=1007.18499.139690.0&scm_id=1007.18499.139690.0&scm-url=1007.18499.139690.0&pvid=cd7a89c9-a13e-49fb-b071-b3533d154a47&

lol, its pink so it must be better :slight_smile:
but it’s a fairly crummy deal though comapre to the OG, 25 more expensive, no 2nd set of pads, and the cable doesn’t seem as nice.

Also the driver might be slightly differnt since the original one i found was 50mm and this one is a 40 but it might just be BS either way

I can’t believe it’s not Grado!

Weren’t the iGrados made in China?

Atleast one text point’s this way.
" The iGrado is the first mass-market China-made headphones by Grado Labs, utilizing the same drivers as the renowned SR60 full-size headphones in a more iPod-friendly package"

1 Like