Strange possible Grado Knock-off?

In this sense, these may be actual Grado driver designs in these knock offs.

At least for Koss Porta Pros, I know there are good knock off drivers for sale, as well as whole headphones. Not surprising since Koss does manufacture them in China.

It’s true that china dose like to ignore copyright, trademark, and proper ownership in general. If Grado sent their driver designs over there then it is possible these are not generic drivers, but infact proper knock off drivers. Interesting.

if the description of the headphone is anything to go by, then its not a 1 to 1 copy since they claim its a 50mm driver while Grado’s is a 40mm, so it still might be a copy of it, just larger. but again these are all speculations once it get them ill know a little better - if they are anywhere as good but have a detachable cable I’m happy

1 Like

Funny thing is.
Head-Fi mention them being 40mm drivers. Even if they be named OH2000… bet they are the one and same headphone. Even the name would be Grudos 12345.

Might be “accidental typo” on the actual aliexpress site.
So they would not be as much copied. lol

I have ordered few china in china products and let’s say the dimension were more in the “one inch” tolerance than what was mentioned in product info. lol

I also have personal experience on china products with a replacement cable for headphones.
Manufacturer’s and product name of the same cable have both changed, at least 4 times in timeline of 3 year. Every time the cable, connectors, outside visual are 100% the exact the same cable.
Only the names change, products remains.
Yes, they do it.
This headphone might be named ‘OP 4000HP’ next year and it’s still the same. lol

4 Likes

How good did these end up being?

Still waiting, The Israeli post office is really REALLY bad…

They better move, I need to know if to place an order :joy:

Worse than the USPS? lol!

If politicians left the USPS run as a business instead of using it for political gain. It would be excellent. They’re pretty good as is despite it all.

Read this and understand. PolitiFact | Widespread Facebook post blames 2006 law for US Postal Service’s financial woes

In the years I’ve had ordering audio crap, I’m had one issue and that was because I filled in my own shipping address wrong. So, not even one issue.

2 Likes

As bad as USPS might be, it nowhere near as bad as it is here in Israel…
A few days ago i got a package i ordered back in December 12th, the funny thing is that was already in the country 29th, somehow it took them 3 months to “sort it”, before you say “customs” , it wasn’t i checked with them they cleared it within a week, also it was a package worth 60$ under the customs threshold…

FedEx, DHL, etc also have very high fees, and some of them have hidden fees that you find out only when the package makes it to the country…

1 Like

Based. USPS is actually one of the highest regarded postal services in terms of efficiency, and a great example of what a virtuous publicly owned business looks like (when unhindered by malicious external forces of course lol).

So i finnally got them, still got some testing to do but I can say for sure they ain’t grado lvl…

A few things I noticed right off the bat:

1. They are way heavier, the solid metal cups a quiet heavy.

2. They are not as comfotble, because of the weight difference the headband padding isn’t enough unlike the Grado which are very light so don’t need a lot of padding up top.

3. They sound very different - still need to listen to them more extensively but they are not Grado quality. My initial impression is they are “shouty”, hollow and lack detail, and the “punch” of Grados.I think they very mid focused but like I said I need to listen to them more. Also I’ve tried pad swapping a bit both the pads they came with and my Yaxi Grado pads

4. They need more power, When using them on my topping A50s they needed high gain at around 11 a clock, while my Grados run fine on Low at around 9-10 a clock (also tried them on the IFI zen can). Though running them balanced does help to put them on the same setting as the Grados

5. The accessories are a highlight - Both the pads they come with are the extra pads are great (Pretty sure the extra ones are the same as Zeos uses for KPH30I ultra). The cable is pretty decent nice weave and you get a small pouch for other stuff

Even if I don’t like the sound too much, just the pads, cable and pouch make up for them being sub par
Im might experiment with more pads see how they work

1 Like

Sucks for the comfort though, kind of makes even just using them as a case to put grado drivers in impossible.

Impossible, no.
Unlikely Yes.
The weight i think is the cups, not the drivers, since its all-metal not plastic
BTW after a little experimenting, I got them to sound pretty decent but ill try out a few more things.

If you look at the driver, you can see there is different tuning. The Grados have holes and a thin sheet of paper like matrial, while the OP 2000 (thats what they are called) have just a metal grill thats almost does nearing nothing in funneling the sound also there is no dampening on it.

Basically what i did was i tried to tune them similar to Grados, used these pads i had around
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGCDHL2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Along with some foam i had from another set of pads i had. and the result is way better, I still don’t know if the best i can make them but its an Big improvement

1 Like

I just meant that if they’re uncomfortable, then it would be kind of pointless, for me personally at least.

They might just need a bit of modding like additional padding on the top

I mean, if you can pull that off as well, you might end up having god tier grados on your hands.

I’m kind of disappointed that they are actually 50mm drivers. This means that it’s not as simple as popping an SR80e driver in since those (and most Grados) are 40mm.

I wonder if some if the other various listings for this kind of thing that stated 40mm drivers actually have 40mm? If so, then those could be good for mods.

Lastly, even if you swap Grado drivers in there, that grill on the back would really affect the sound. It looks fairly closed, and Grados change in sound if you just hold your hands near the backs, so I imagine these grills would make a fair bit of difference.

Im not 100% convinced they are not Grado drivers while the housing might not be the same but the driver might actually still be Grado. and after pad swapping they got pretty decent.

Maybe a more experienced modder could actually make them “S-tier” but that’s beyond me
The big upside for these for me at least is that these kind of mods like pad swapping are viable for a noob like me, while having a detachable table is way beyond what im willing to do