⭕ Swan D300 Speakers

Hey mate.

I got a new pair last year. I too was concerned about the hum. Bothered me at first even though its not too loud, only because I thought I had a dodgy pair. I previously used and still own a pair of Yamaha nx-n500 which are dead quiet. I have since relegated speaker duties to a stand mounted setup in the living room because the drywall drone I get on my desk makes any speaker somewhat capable of reproducing bass redundant.

This leads me on to my next and unrelated point other than the passive hiss aspect, the m200s are often touted as desktop speakers with drivers tuned for that application. I have found them very capable in the medium field though, like Zeos did.

Question if anyone knows, I’m listening to my D300 right now via SPDIF out on my FiiO M11 (so, digital, not line out), everything’s great, but how’s it possible that I can play DSD files? Isn’t DSD only supported via USB? There’s no glitches or errors
As far as I know SPDIF only supports up to 24/96 PCM

It’s mentioned in the manual.
SPDIF Coaxial output:
You can choose between DOP and D2p modes.
In D2P mode, DSD will Converted to PCM output.
In DOP mode, it will original output what you input
(The amplifier should support DSD or there will
be noise when you play DSD in DOP mode)

Also this:
There are two modes of using the SPDIF Out: D2P (DSD to PCM) and DoP (DSD over PCM).
Under D2P mode, you play the PCM signal and will get the original PCM signal out. When playing the DSD signal system will convert the DSD signal to PCM signal and output

Under DoP mode, PCM signal can be directly outputted and so does DSD signal. However, to have the signal output, the coaixal device connecting with the DAP needs to support DSD. It can only support up to DSD64 signal when SPDIF Out, higher specs format like DSD 128 is not supported.*

So you have SPDIF in 24/96 PCM. Not directly in DSD, cause no support.

1 Like

Thanks, clears it all up! For a moment I thought the speakers themselves can process DSD

I just want to know if i can use them on a desk setup like to the left and right of my table on a stand my room is 3x4 meters

Sorry if the question is a bit stupid this will be my first ever speaker

These are pretty huge (both in size and sound) and pretty intense, I think they’d be too much for a desk speaker, especially since the volume increments are so large. At the very least, I think you’d be wasting their incredible imaging on such a small distance

I believe these would fit you better (haven’t heard them but zeos recommended them if I’m not mistaken)

These he hasn’t reviewed (he did the M200 MkIII but this is the MkIII+), I think these are an option as well

Interest check, I wanna upgrade to the M300 MkII so I’d be selling my pair of the Swan D300 (EU).
First owner, they work flawlessly, they never even left the speaker stands since I got them a year ago
Any takers?.
(I’ll repost this in the buy/sell thread)

Does anyone know if a longer speaker connection cable can be purchased?

Your best bet is to ask (Hivi) Swans directly, they’re very accommodating and I know they have a very fast response time on Alibaba, don’t know about their official site, it doesn’t look regularly updated.

1 Like

Appreciate the insight! I’m looking into it now! Thanks!

1 Like

UPDATE

(Hivi) Swans were able to find me a 15m cable on Alibaba. The cost was around $50 and arrived in under a week! Thanks again for the advice!

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! I was very satisfied too, they’re very obliging over on Alibaba, even when you don’t know what it is specifically that you need haha (myself, I asked them if they can sell me a speaker stand for the D300 because they’re really big and every speaker stand I’d seen has a plate that’s too small. And in no time at all they offered me a specific Swans stand that wasn’t even listed in their catalogue)