⭕ Swan D300 Speakers

According to Zeos, the D1090 and the D300 are pretty similar in sound, but the D300 has a better tweeter

But the D1090’s faults in terms of functionality (the 24/48 cutoff, the bluetooth that’s always live…) are a dealbreaker for me

the 200mkiii non plus version did not have this problem, iam using usb to schiit modi 3 rca out to rca in.
They are dead silence when i plug in, the amp is pretty warm but otherwise, no hum

Interesting. I have a modi 3 too. Very decent DAC for the price.

Anyway, Im wondering if there could be an issue with the capacitors they are using considering the number of complaints from other users. Perhaps they are different between the mkiii and mkiii+ versions? I haven’t opened it up yet to look at them, but may in the future. Appreciate your feedback.

How big is the sweet spot with those waveguide on D300? I’m hoping for a 90 degree waveguide that sound pretty in a three sit sofa wide or so.

It’s not as much how big or small the sweet spot is on D300.
Basically it’s about speaker positioning and how much space/room you have to play with it.
But there is cost for more wider spot.

If you use positions like these. You basically have bit wider and bit more narrow sweet spots.
Will it be enough for sofa? Testing will tell.

In my 3 seat sofa with my speakers there really is only 1 sweet spot with speakers pointing at the center position. It is the Center seat but it kinda covers a 55" TV @ 3m / 10ft distance so you can move bit and sweet spot remains “in the frame of TV”.
Left seat has the spot about in between the left speaker and TV
Right seat has the sport about in between the right speaker and TV.

1 Like

What if you got a 110in screen ? Thnks for the video by the way i understand soundstage now. Damn it now cant unhear it in my HT room.

It’s is true the sweet spot can change base on the speaker replacement. However if a speaker is design with wide dispersion like 90 or more degree, it will greatly increase the sweet spot more. For example, all of Revel speakers with waveguide have wide 110 degree dispersion or coaxial speaker like KEF have a wide dispersion.

Yes, just wondering what a Hivi / Swan D300 sound dispersion (design) has to do with KEF or Revel?
It’s pretty obvious the waveguide and design are nothing like. So sound dispersion also nothing like.
There ain’t even measurements that would give some information of D300… kinda says it all.

Awaiting my delivery for the D300 and curious about the dispersion characteristics as well. I’ve been drawn to coaxial speakers for their ease in imaging. (KEF LS50, KEF 3001SE, Pioneer RM07) So much so that I’ve come to dislike a lot of traditional 2-way designs.

Excited to see how these will stack up

Nice, I’d love to get a second opinion on this. I enjoy Zeos’ videos and am very tempted by these, but would love to see some other reviews too.

Same here. I love my KEF Q150 but need more SPL, clarity and detail. I find AMT and ribbon have all three of this traits but ribbon speaker have a much wider horizontal dispersion for multiple listening spots.

However, D300 uses a waveguide and don’t know which horizontal dispersion pattern it is using. 90 degree or more is perfect for a wide sweet spot listening.

Looking forward for impression. Thanks

I would like to know where this information comes from?
Every measurement i have seen, those i have heard with the AMT / ribbon speakers usually have narrow dispersion. Tend to the natural structure/frame of the actual “driver/element” as i know.

Most ATM / ribbons i know, behave like this. Usually after like 50 degree off-axis you might already have -10db differences or more than directly aimed at listener.

We still talking about HiVi SVAN D300 and my eyes see quite narrow and deep looking wave guide (not wide sound area). If they were on Adam Audios, there is huge difference.
I just think they are way off from KEF’s 100 degree angles. I mean someone could make some actual measurements so we know more about these. :slight_smile:
Make me believe in HiVi’s suberb and wide sound.

Just a Note… The URL now links to the 4 and 5 inch versions which are new. I think the page will have the 6" aka the D300 when they are back in stock. JUST KNOW THE ONES ON THERE ARE NOT THE D300 yet.

1 Like

Zeos, can you give us your opinion of how these perform compared to the Edifier S3000 Pro?

It has been a while since I heard the 3000. Rmaf 2019. but I know the Swans have a more inviting sound. Even with the hyper treble. The 3000’s needed to be in a DSP mode for me to really settle down and enjoy them. Both technologically great but Swan almost always has the “audiophile” sound I look for.

2 Likes

Very much appreciated, really enjoy your videos and hope you get to try out Focale speakers some day.
Cheers from New Zealand.

1 Like

is this really silent?
no hum/hiss when no music playing,
I want to use it with my pc,
3 feet from my ears to the speaker,

thank you, :pray:
much love from Indonesia,

FYI, if anybody wanted to know, the D200’s don’t take 240v-50Hz power input, it’s 120v-60Hz only. For those that live in 240v countries.

Unsure on the situation for the D300’s

I’ve been listening to mine for about 3 days and wrote about my impressions on reddit.
https://old.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/nb3nzv/swan_d300_is_pretty_damn_good/

Pretty impressive for someone looking for a simple plug and play system. I’m not keeping them because I’m not looking for a simple system and the analog input didn’t work well for me, making subwoofer integration a chore. The bass extension is good (not super tight) but lost on me already having stereo REL subs.

Dispersion wise, the sweet spot feels wider than the LS50 by couple feet horizontally in my room. But, outside the sweet spot and vertical offset degraded sound much worse than the KEF LS50 and KEF 3001SE.

I also mention a ‘digital glare’ that I’m not sure is from the class D amp, the ribbon tweeter or dac as this is the only class D or hifi ribbon tweeter I’ve heard. Wasn’t a big deal for me, my ears tuned it out within minutes. But always sounded a little weird quickly switching from class AB Hegel/KEF to the Swans.

Swans are near silent, slightest sound when you’re ear is right next to it; I think it’s fine for a desk other than being too big

1 Like

I absolutely love these speakers, Zeos was really on point! The treble isn’t as sharp at the neutral position as I expected it to be judging by Zeos’ review, I like it at neutral.

There was only one bad sounding song - Michael Jackson’s Billie Jean from an 80s Japanese CD - out of a whole bunch of different genres, and I’m pretty sure it was because it was de-emphasized beforehand (a lot of old CDs have pre-emphasis)

The soundstage is the biggest I’ve ever experienced (but granted, I haven’t heard a large number of different speakers), the imaging is razor sharp and nothing ever sounds dull or muffled, the bass is astounding and I’d probably say you don’t need a sub - but I can’t really test that properly because I have to be mindful of my neighbors: these really get better and better as you turn up the volume. They’re ABSOLUTELY huge

(purchase-related: I bought them off of Hivi’s authorized reseller on AliExpress (RYCFENZ HIFI Store), shipped to the EU for $530 total. I did have to wait for more than two months but hey…it was totally worth it)