šŸ”¶ TANCHJIM Oxygen

Thatā€™s a relief! But you asked Tanchjim customer support and they said it was reversed polarity? Because someone posted screenshots showing their exchange with Tanchjim, and a reputable reviewer also wrote on their website that the polarities are reversedā€¦

But, if thereā€™s nothing to worry about and if I can use my aftermarket cables without having to reverse the earhooks, I am more than happy lol

Released my 3dt, fdx1, oxygen review. Was tough to get everything I wanted to say into this format. But here it is:

As always, constructive criticism, questions and any other helpful comments are always welcome!

4 Likes

Hi, great review. I found it very informative.
A few points of feedback:

1. It would be good if you could explain what you are trying to listen for in each song. For example I knew about the foot steps in M. Jackson song but not everybody would. Same thing for the other songs used in your review.
  2. You use the word ā€œbalancedā€ a lot but it is very subjective and can mean many things.
  3. I like the simple conclusion at the end.
  4. I like the fact that you skip the unboxing and description of the box, tips, accessories, etc.

One question, when you mention treble in the review do you mean upper mid range?

1 Like

Ha! I knew I missed something. I normally do. Gonna add that to things to check for.

Great point! I am trying to stay away from audiophile terminology and I havenā€™t developed all the ways to describe things well. I am trying to target non-audiophiles as well. Gotta work on that.

This was an experiment. I am trying to avoid subjective recommendations based on my own bias. But, I also want to give some advice. So that was the solution.

Yep. The ā€œlightningā€ in the name for me means sub 10 minutes for a 3 IEM comparison. I am trying to keep the content to things that canā€™t be looked up easily and requires possession of the headphones. Anything else is considered filler.

I typically mean roughly the right third of an FR graph when said generically. When I talk about midrange I typically say that. It is possible some of what I was hearing came from the upper mid range though. Just as I should describe what I am listening for, that would help avoid this confusion. I should screen capture playback controls for songs to identify locations as well. For me, the part I need to convey is ā€œthis part of the song sounds scratchy or extremely intenseā€ etcā€¦

I opted not to show the graphs on this review. And to only focus on music. It was a conscious decision that came out of targeting the non-audiophile more so than the audiophile. But, popping up the graph periodically might still be valuable.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

3 Likes

I think you somehow read my mind and chose IEMs that I really wanted someone to compare! So yeah, I loved the IEM selection - spot on, especially for people looking to get a very nice DD IEM. I know you couldā€™ve added others (e.g., Yuan Li, Hana 2021, Kbear Aurora, Penon FAN), but I like that you chose 3 highly-regarded sets to compare.

In addition to @Cameleon30ā€™s excellent points, here are my two cents:

1. Maybe you can list your test tracks, or link to a playlist?
  2. Add your source in the description
  3. Mention which tips you used (sorry if you do this already; I just donā€™t recall from the top of my head)
  4. I also like that you didnā€™t include the unboxing, but maybe you could talk about the fit?

Keep the videos coming! Thanks again :+1:

P.S. Have you heard of Penon Serial? I saw youā€™re selling your 3DT, but it sounds like Penon Serial might be an improvement over the 3DT.

2 Likes

They still vary a bit. I listen to a lot of music and occasionally some other song gets injected. But I will try and compile the list. (This one has it as indexes on the video. But not like an apple playlist). I have about 60 songs on my test list and the same few are usually selected. But not always. Still trying to figure out the best way to do this.

The video description should have the source info and tips. (In this case Qudelix 5k wired to macbook with epro horn shaped tips and apple lossless. But I will check.)

Not yet! But people keep asking!

Next is dq6, bl-max and mele. :wink:

4 Likes

Ooooh yes thatā€™s a nice mix! Maybe KZ KEX as well??

Three is pushing the limits of headtime and video production. So, probably not. But there are tons to compare. So more in the future!

1 Like

Yes!
Iā€™ll be looking forward to that.

2 Likes

I do like it a lot. On one end of the spectrum you have someone like HBB saying ā€œthis works for my libraryā€ or Crin saying if something sounds good or bad (according to his own criteria). On the other end you have reviewers saying this is great buy it without any context. I like your approach for the conclusion but obviously it is a complement to what you mention before in the video.

1 Like

Hey guys,

Am I late for the party? I bought an Oxygen today.
What is the minimum source you recommend to play Oxygen to its full potential? I have a Shanling UP4, and I prefer portable systems.

2 Likes

Welcome! Youā€™re not too late - I got mine very recently as well :slight_smile:
I use Qudelix-5k balanced to power mine, so thatā€™s ~240 mW at 32 Ohms. In general, I think DDs benefit from good quality and quantity of power. If you go balanced on the Shanling UP4, Iā€™d say itā€™s fine. If you get the chance to demo something with more power, see if you notice any difference before upgrading.
What genres do you listen to with your Oxygen?

1 Like

Quick update on fit: so far the best for for Oxygen is with Azla Sedna Short size MS. The only thing I want to try is the regular length Sedna but pretty happy right now.
They also clean up the sound a bit. Final E tips made them sound a bit too warm in the mid bass.

1 Like

Thanks for the info! Iā€™m using CP145 and have a good fit. Iā€™m getting some Azla eartips soon so Iā€™ll try them out.

1 Like

I have been using the same tips. I learned about them from Super Reviews on YouTube.

1 Like

I might give those a try. In my experience the stem on the Spinfit is not as sturdy which I think is why I like the Sedna

I had brought up the Intime Sora Light before in this thread.
After careful A/B testing, I am inclined to say that the Sora Light are baby Oxygen. Especially for the price I paid for them used on eBay, $45.
Oxygen has better soundstage and Sora Light has better sparkles in the treble on electronic music.

EDIT: make note that my Sora Light have been modded with a vent under the tips.

They are not.

1 Like

I edited my post above to mention that my Sora Light are vent modded.

To my ears they are very close except for soundstage.
I will have them graphed soon so I can find out if my ears are telling me lies.

Are they single DD?