🔶 Tanchjim Tanya

This is the official thread for the Tanchjim Tanya

This thread is for discussion and reviews.

iu-6

• Type: In Ear
  • Amp needed: No

:red_circle: HifiGo Link

[Reviews]

Z Reviews…

Tanchjin Tanya - Unboxing and package content:

3 Likes

Tanchjim Tanya Graph:

2 Likes

Tanchjim Tanya accessories:

Tanya comes with a simples but very well done packaging. Has a travel pouch bag, various sets of tipes (wide and narrow bore) and some extra filters. This filters are well known for its magic and they are the reason I got Tanya for. The curious fact is that Tanya’s narrow bore tips seem to be Elecom EHP-CAP 20, which are well know for it’s quality but hard to get (amazon jp only). Photo of the tips included vs CAP 20:

So for less than 25$ you geet some nice tips for starters’ collection, their house filters and the IEM themselves. I like it.

Tanchjim Tanya (very) quick impressions:

Tanya is a bullet style IEM with a nice level of detail and clarity for sub-25$. Sure, it’s not TOTL, let’s be real here, but nothing is too bloated or veiled. They come out as a V-Shape to my ears. The cable is very nice and doesn’t seem to have any microphonics. The build quality of the monitors is the best I’ve seen for this price range.

• Bass is present with an ok texture, but doesn’t bloat much into mids. It’s mid bass focused over sub, which makes sense giving the drivers and isolation capacities, creating a kick with a smell of texture.

• Mids sound a bit recessed due to the tuning but they have a nice presentation and female vocals come forward

• Treble has some sense of air and good extention, but can get out a bit shouty for my tastes. Some people report that it cools down a bit with 1 more filter stacked and tips. People that like V-shape will probably find this treble great.

• Soundstage and imaging are… Left and right with singer in the middle. Well, wasn’t expecting anything here due to the form factor and price, anyway.

Comparitions:

• Sony MH755:

MH755 comes out a more U-Shaped, with more bass and almost as shouty as Tanya. Presentation is a step further from you, giving a sense of more air between you and the singer, but with less detail in micro or macro. Bass quality is better on Sony, specially sub-bass. I’d maybe pick Tanya for my library, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. I’d rec Tanya since it’s much easier to get, comes with better acessories and original MH755 comes with a VERY short cable, meant to be used with a wireless device. Sony MH755 is less slight less shouty and fatiguing for long runs. But, as always, if you can get your hands on an original MH755, you should add it to your collection and even try to recable it, but that will defeat the purpose of this ultra budget pick.

• Final Audio E1000:

E1000 is the sub-25$ neutral IEM benchmark. It rolls off in the sub-bass but has has some good detail and clarity due to the tuning. I it isn’t as fatiguing as Tanya for sure, but most will not consider as “fun”. Tanya came out as more micro detailed tho and with better textures. E1000 has more air in its presentation, while mids are more forward, but without getting shouty. To me they are different horses on the same bracket.

E1000 comes with Final Audio Type E tips so it worths the money just for that. You can also mod it as graph here to bring the bass region up, altho I’ve never tried it:

Conclusions: I think Tanya is a great accomplishment for the price by Tanchjim and gets an hard rec from me. If you are on a budget and like V-shape and female voices in your face, this is it, you’ll enjoy Tanya. They impressed me for the range and I might have come out a little picky with them for this price range. They will for sure join my first tier of recs along with MH755 and E1000.
For my library and preferences, I’d classify them as E1000 > Tanya >= MH755. If you are very treble sensitive, I would avoid Tanya.
Either Tanya (just like E1000) will settle you with some nice tips for your future collection. They are a good example to start finding your preferences early on. Tanya will keep your joy on til you can get into the 50usd bracket with some tips, and that for me would be Tripowin x HBB Mele.

3 Likes

Oh wait, I didn’t know Tanya has Elecom tips, interesting.

Only found it yesterday when I opened the box aswel. I only got Tanya for the filters :man_shrugging:

Decided to make some very quick impressions as it might help newcomers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Although I did post a link to my review in the Acho Reviews thread, I didn’t actually post the full review. As this thread is rather new, I will post my full review here.

My review was originally posted on the 12th of June and, as with all my reviews, is available also in Spanish on my blog and YouTube, links at the end of the post.

The Tanchjim Tanya has been sent to me free of charge by HifiGo in exchange for this review. They have not requested anything other than to include links to the product in this review and, as always, my opinions will be as unbiased and sincere as possible, but it is always good to consider that it hasn’t cost me anything to try out these IEMs.

I don’t use affiliate links but I still like to avoid posting purchasing links on forums where I am only a guest, therefore, the links to the Tanya through HiFiGo are available on the version of this review posted on my blog.

Intro…

The Tanya is a very recent release from Tanchjim, announced around a month ago, and is a set of IEMs that feature a single 7mm micro dynamic driver. It is available both with and without a microphone, the set I have being without the mic.

I recently reviewed the Final Audio E500 which is an IEM that has a very similar format to the Tanya, you can view my review of it here: Review - Final Audio E500. In the review I explained why I always like to have a set of IEMs of this style, as they are something I use when travelling and when wanting to listen to musicin bed. The Tanchjim Tanya comes in at a cheaper price than the E500 and, in my opinion, is something that works for me more than the E500 does.

Presentation…

The Tanya arrive in a grey box inside a white cardboard sleeve that shows an image of the IEM and the make/model. On the back, they list the specifications in English & Chinese.

Inside the box we find the IEMs, with their attached cable, along with various sets of silicone tips, user manual & warranty card, replacement filters and a small velvet storage bag. This is actually quite a lot of content for the price that these IEMs come in at.

Build and aesthetics…

As mentioned, these are small IEMs with a fixed cable, which insert quite deeply into the ears. In a size format, they are slightly larger than the Hifiman RE series but shorter than the Final E500. This allows them to protrude less from the ears and makes them more comfortable to wear when lying down on your side than the E500. They are very similar in comfort to the Hifiman RE series.

As far as build, they are nicely built, with a metal covering to the small shell (at least I believe it is metal). On the back of the shell there is what looks to be an air vent. At first I thought that these IEMs were open back, judging by the size of the vent, however, covering this vent does not seem to change the sound at all, so that leads me to believe that it is just for aesthetics and that the only ventilation is from the small hole on the bottom of the nozzle.

The cable is attached as I already mentioned but I don’t have any issues with the quality of the cable. It doesn’t tangle easily but is also not too rigid as to become a nuisance. It also doesn’t present the microphonics that other options do.

The included tips are also fairly decent. I find them to be comfortable and the sound to be decent with them so I haven’t had to go off on a search of which tips work. For my sound evaluations I have used the stock tips.

Sound…

As far as sound, the Tanya seems to fix the things I didn’t like about the E500, without breaking anything else. In the review of the E500, I did some comparisons to the RE600s which I said wasn’t a fair comparison and it isn’t fair to compare the Tanya to the RE600s either, at least in price, but I can say that the Tanya does not feel like a huge step down from the RE600s like the E500 did. There are still moments of clarity and detail that I find superior on the RE600s but I have had no issue using and enjoying the Tanya for my general use of this kind of IEMs.

With the brief (and possible unfair) comparisons out of the way, let’s get on with how the Tanya sounds and performs.

In the subbass, the 7mm dynamic driver does a very good job of presenting rumble where needed. Listening to “Chameleon” by Trentemoller, where the subbass comes in around the 0:31 mark, the Tanya give enough rumble to make even bass heads happy, or at least I think it would as I am not much of a bass head myself. This track is actually a very good way to test if IEMs/headphones can deal with all those low frequencies without falling apart and the Tanya actually holds up pretty well. Yes, the rumbling can be a little overpowering and present a bit of a “wall of sound” in those lowest frequencies but that is the track more than overly boosted subbass. If we move to a track like “No Sanctuary Here”, where the lowest notes are clearer and more defined than in the previous tracks, again the subbass can come across as a little strong and is a bit more than I would personally request, but they do a good job for the size of the driver with so much bass.

In the general bass frequencies, things are a lot cleaner if there isn’t as much boost in the lowest ranges of the track. “Sun Is Shining” does sound a lot cleaner than the previous two tracks while still being a track with plenty of bass, just slightly higher in the frequency range. On tracks that use real bass guitars instead of electronic instruments, such as “Black Muse” by Prince, the bass guitar does come across as slightly too boosted in the mix to be considered natural, the same happens with the bass guitar of “Smooth Operator” by Sade. This is not terrible and is not usually too overpowering but will not be something that fits the tone for those looking for neutrality and a natural bass sound.

The transition to the mids depends on the amount of bass we are pushing to the low end. The more we make it work in the lowest ranges, the more difficult it becomes for the Tanya to make the clean transition into the lower mids, sometimes coming across as a little muddy if we are pushing too much bass.

The mids in general are nice and smooth, with voices presenting a nice tonality and being very clean and detailed (again, depending on how much we push the low end). For example, the track “Way Down Deep” by Jennifer Warnes has some rather large hits in the low end while the mid range is quite simple, this song can come across as a little recessed in the mids. However, a song like “Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes” by Paul Simon does not have such a large presence in the lowest registers, this makes the vocals and other instruments move more into focus and the result is quite pleasant. The bass of this track is located mainly in the lower midrange, with a few climbs, and this is very easily defined in the background.

Moving up to the top of the midrange and lower treble areas, there is enough of a climb in presence to keep vocals present but without them becoming overly harsh or nasal. A track that I find good to test the harshness of vocals is “Don’t You Worry Child” by Beth, as her voice can become harsh very easily. The Tanya does a decent job of keeping her harshness in check and makes the song quite listenable.

Sibilance is also well controlled, with my usual “Code Cool” test track being presented in a way that is not too sibilant but is also not overly reduced. There is a slight hint of sibilance on a few of the lyrics by Patricia Barber but they are not too uncomfortable.

There is the typical high frequency roll off found in (almost) all single dynamic driver IEMs, where more air and extension would be a plus but there is at least enough presence in the highs to not make the whole sound signature seem dark.

The speed and dynamics are a little lacking, as is to be expected of a single dynamic driver that is only 7mm, especially when the lower regions are working hard. There is only so much we can expect from a set up like this in the price bracket that it sits in and I think they do well enough to be considered more than adequate but they are certainly not amazing detail monsters and they can get congested when we push those lower ranges past their comfort zone.

The width of the soundstage is actually rather good in comparison to so many other budget IEM offerings, it is not a huge soundstage but it is above average in this regard. Placement of images is also decent, it is not pinpoint accuracy but is decent nonetheless. The problem comes when trying to locate smaller details in the background, these are more difficult to place but this ties more into the dynamics and lack of background details when a busy track is being played.

Conclusion…

As I mentioned at the beginning, I recently reviewed the Final E500 and the Tanchjim Tanya is a similar set up at a very similar price (actually a little cheaper). My personal preference between the two is easily the Tanya, of that I have no doubt. The Tanya is still not perfect, it has many things that can be improved on, but again we need to consider the price, the size of these IEMs and how much we can actually expect from something like this.

Yes, the driver does struggle when we push it too far, and the limits are lower than on other options, but when the driver is not overworked, I find it to have much more clarity and better sound (to my ears) than the Final E500.

In comparison to the Hifiman RE600s, which is the IEM of this style that I usually use when wanting something which is tiny and disappears in the ear, then the Tanya is just as comfortable, seems just as well built and is available for a less than 20€ whereas the RE600s retail price is closer to 200€ (even though you can get them discounted quite often). Yes, the RE600s is more detailed and also matches my tuning preference more, but, as I said in my E500 review, it is by no means a fair comparison.

I have no issues using the Tanya for my late night listening in bed, or for watching movies. In fact, the explosions in movies can be quite a surprise when you are not used to the sound of the Tanya.

I am leaving on another business trip in a few days and this time I will be taking the Tanya with me instead of the RE, as I did with the E500, so I will put it through the real life circumstances that I actually use these kinds of IEMs for. On my recent trip, the E500 was sufficient, I am sure that the Tanya will prove to be more than sufficient.

All in all, the Tanya is a set of IEMs that I can see pleasing a lot of people if they are looking for a budget set of IEMs with this style of build and sound signature.

3 Likes

Nice name lol.

(@Ohmboy )

5 Likes

2much :beers:

:rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

……Sorted :+1:

2 Likes

Checked out he Tanchjim Tanya, it has really exceptional tuning with some weird quarks in the soundstage and imaging