šŸ”¶ TANGZU x HBB Wu Heyday

I think the timing was just right for ā€œold Grandpaā€ OG WU being ā€œreplacedā€ :older_man:t2:

In the end both are a great options and many will be happy about being able to choose from and if that also helps you feeding the baby then itā€™s a win win :blush:

1 Like

Chifi shelf life makes cellphones look like viable long term investments :grin:
Crazy hobby :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

Was messing around more with EQ today and using graphs and my ears settled on this to compare against 64 Audio U12t and, again, it is SHOCKING how close in performance this IEM actually is at roughly one tenth the price! :scream:

Itā€™s apparent the U12t has more bass impact and treble detail, for instance, starting at 1:28 in this song. But honestly, if I wasnā€™t A/Bā€™ing back and forth I wouldnā€™t notice!

EQā€™ing this IEM really is a treat but itā€™s default sound signature is perfect to my ears. Thanks HBB! :+1::+1:

6 Likes

Extremely high praises.

7 Likes

I am under same impressions as Hobby Talk in his video about Heyday. My first impression wow - BALANCED. And second impression how smooth and still extended the treble is. And third, wow timbre on Heyday is natural, almost DD like. Sometimes I forget I am listening to a planar.

I canā€™t listen to S12 for very long due to its sharp, sibilant treble. Cymbal sound so metallic and unnatural on S12. I can only tolerate S12 with foam tips.

Heyday has no fatigue for me at all! Itā€™s smooth! Every instruments sounds natural and real and still quite detailed.

I would put PR1 Pro ahead of S12 in my opinion. It is just as detailed and technical as S12, but PR1 Pro is more balanced to my ears, but not as balanced and smooth as Heyday in treble area. I am actually impressed with PR1 Pro for $40 after listening to all three planars back to back. Heyday wins In overall tonality, timbre and balance.
Heyday graphs as having lower bass compared to other two, but I donā€™t really hear it to be this much lower. Itā€™s just right amount.

9 Likes

The cable is beautiful, but a little too thick for me. Reminds me of Dunu SA6 cable, same thickness and weight, but terminations are bigger on Heyday and I wish it can be smaller.

3 Likes
8 Likes

Anybody else get that mad mouse matt with their set?
Do folks even use mouse matts these days?

Crazy Chinese story, but the IEM looks promising :smiley:.

Getting closer why are there not more impressions?

Excited I am!

7 Likes

Iā€™m also excited for the coming impressions! :smiley:

This song really shows what this IEMā€™s capable of, IMO. The busy-ness of the male+female vocals with strings + eguitars and a nicely textured drum kit. :ok_hand:

3 Likes

got mine yesterday (with a bonkers mouse matt included).
will post my initial thoughts during my lunch break.

5 Likes

Soooā€¦iā€™ll put it simply.
these are as damned near the perfect Planar as i think you are gonna get unless they can cram a 16 or 18mm driver into an iem.

Having come directly from the OG Wu, these initially sound bass light and whilst that is true in absolute terms, the quality and texture is much better and its certainly no slouch in the extension front.
The tuning is nailed on and as neutral as you could wish for without being ā€œdryā€ and lifeless.
The improved driver is clear to hear and resolution is top notch (at least with regard to other planars ive heard) and if you have a varied library like me (from classic 70-80 rock/ female vocals/heavy metal to classical) then this is just magical though id still prefer the OG WU for my IDM library
I wont bore with the usual hi-fi jargon as im not that good at that anyway but unless you are heavily into bass heavy music, these are a killer set.
For those who were put off the Timeless due to fit/QC and the 2-3K bump, these are what you need: Better tuning, better fit and build and no 2-3K hump.

With regards to other planars in my possession:
Id place the Heyday at the top of the tree just ahead of my OG Timeless and whilst the gap isnt huge it is noticeable. (shows what a stellar job 7Hz actually did with the Timeless)
The OG Wu is in a photo finish with the Timeless followed by the S12 with a gallant but last place to the P1 which started it all off.

In honesty, i dont know where Planars go from here to the point i think this is where i step off the bus until MEMS drivers appear.
Tangzu and HBB knocked this one out the park. :clap: :clap: :clap:

So after several years of dead ends im now down to 6 IEMS;
for reference listening - The Monarch Mkii;
IDM library - the OG WU;
Timeless will be permanently nailed to my Fiio UTWS5ā€™;
Ikkho OH10 for the Walkman
Saltnotes Zeroā€™s for the office.
For everything else; Theeeeeese !!

Sorry its not the most technical review but im sure others with better ears will chime in with those.

13 Likes

Maybe Iā€™m being greedy but I couldnā€™t help but notice the lack of impressions on the stage dimensions :clown_face: is it immersive? Pin point imaging?

Technical or not, these are some amazing first impressions, man! Good write up!

3 Likes

Stage is airy but not super wide but imaging is nicely etched.
Stage is about the same as the OG but imaging is better due the improved driver accuracy.

To be honest, none of the above are priorities for me in any headphone or iem so I donā€™t take particular notice.

2 Likes

Just landed (quickest delivery from Linsoul yet I think and over the UK Xmas post carnage :person_shrugging:).

Edit: ha, also with the mouse mat - so not my style though

2 Likes

And the accompanying mouse matt !

2 Likes

yep - Iā€™m never going to use it :grin:

1 Like

Soundstage it is definitely wide. U12t is wider in comparison but not by much.

For imaging, itā€™s fine, though maybe center imaging is lacking a bit. Headphones typically lack center imaging. For instance in this song, the main melody starting at 1:18 sounds like itā€™s all coming from the same location:

1 Like