TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

Yeah, I saw pics of the Emu Teak and their stock pads do look thicc. :wink:

1 Like

So after a few days of testing I can safely say that the ZMF Ori hybrids are my new top choice. They sound identical to the Ori protein leathers (my previous top pick) but are just so much more comfortable. The suede on the face makes it so it never sticks to my skin and helps the pad fit over my hair better as well. The real lambskin is also softer and less sweaty for me which helps.

As for sound, the Ori pads seem to open up the sound stage and relax the mids a bit without sounding reassessed (at least to me). The treble is a touch brighter but never sibilant unless the song itself is VERY sibilant and even then itā€™s not bad at all. The bass is reduced, but a nice pair of home made attenuation rings made from ovaltine tin lids fixes that entirely. In fact, the thicker material for the rings brings the sub-bass up a bit more than even the stock pads without any bloat into the mids.

For reference I am using the asgard 3 as my amp and I have the Lawton driver side tune up installed.

1 Like

I agree with your assessment of the Ori pads (Lambskin in my case).

The mids are a tad recessed which is what I think is making the highs sound more forward. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s the depth of the pads thatā€™s doing this. A nice thing about this is the increased width in soundstage.

I prefer a more neutral tuning so Iā€™m waiting on Eikons (also in Lambskin) which are slightly shallower/wider. I think this will bring the mids back up. Iā€™ll post after having them for a while.

1 Like

OK, my pair of TH Purplehearts were delivered this morning. I got a good deal on a pair that was some cosmetic damage to the cups, which is unfortunate, but they seem structurally in good shape. Iā€™ve been listening to them for hours today. I wonā€™t do a full review because theyā€™re no longer a headphone you can just go out and buy, but Iā€™ll give a few thoughtsā€¦

A fun ā€œVā€ signature. They sound like the T50RP with Shure pads but with more overall refinement. This is a good thing, IMO. Bass is punchy, plentiful, and extended. The treble is also clear, detailed, and a bit forward but I really donā€™t notice any objectionable sibilance - which Iā€™m sensitive to. The mids probably strike some as recessed, but I think their presence is fine. Iā€™m also upper-mid sensitive so itā€™s recessed-ness helps me. The mids arenā€™t standard-setting by any means, but also they arenā€™t terrible. I donā€™t detect any honkiness or shoutiness that is the downfall of the midrange of so many headphones. Truth is, Iā€™m not picking up a whole lot to dislike about this headphone. They seem to be pretty strong all-arounders for the price point. IMO, you can find headphones at near the original list price or less that are better at each aspect of the sound (bass extension - not quantity - and soundstage width: Edition XX; mid-range, imaging & overall detail: DT880-600), but those are not apples-to-apples comparisons. This headphone is pretty decent at all those aspects of the sound while being a closed-back headphone. Given that Iā€™ve put 5 or 6 very fun, comfortable hours with these already today and still donā€™t really want to take them off, and because of their being closed-back, these are in good position to become my work-office daily drivers (in some hypothetical non-pandemic future when I have an office again).

3 Likes

If you intend to use them in an office just be aware that they do leak a fair bit as they are actually semi-open, not totally closed back. If you have your own room, even with thin walls, you will be fine, but in an open office other will hear what you are listening to from several feet away depending in ambient noise. Also they donā€™t isolate all that well.

666 replys. YEAH HAIL SATAN!!!

Yes Iā€™m a child. I know.

3 Likes

Iā€™m still really enjoying these Purplehearts. I took them apart and looked them over. Some of the earcup damage is a bit more extensive than I initially realized. As far as I can tell, the sound is unaffectedā€¦at least thereā€™s no noticeable channel imbalance or buzzes or rattles or anything like that. It does make me worry about their longevity, though. So, sometime in the future I will likely look into a Lawton mod. But, I know next to nothing about Lawton mods. Any of you who have done them to a Purpleheart able to comment about what happens to the sound?

I have not done the Lawton cups, but I have done the tune-up. The driver side (the rings and strips in the picture) donā€™t change the frequency response at all, but improve things like instrument separation and harshness in the treble. The cup side (the foam disks and the cross things) DO change the frequency response and I didnā€™t like it. It makes things a bit more neutral which is the opposite of why I like the Purple Hearts.

wp8c16df16_05_06

As for the Lawton cups, the way they effect the sound will almost entirely depend on the kind of wood you pick. @ValentineLuke and @PapaEmeritus can tell you more.

3 Likes

Hello,
So if you choose the damping kit, a lot will happen again.
Clean bass, better mids and less harsh highs.
It is different with the cups.
Lawton offers a towel where certain musical genres are specified and you can then choose which one.
In terms of sound, you will certainly never be the same if it concerns the musical genre, yes.
And then probably pay a bit because of the extraordinary design.

Alternatives are even cheaper from E-Mu.
The rosewood is very good, I have it myself on the D 2000, and Iā€™m still aiming for the ebony to replace it with my mahogany.
Because compared to the mahogany and the rosewood, the rosewood is clearly at the forefront of the sound, and afterwards quite disappointed with the mahogany tuning.
Everything is too bright and slightly shrill bass not so crisp, not nice and deep and clean and clear, bass strong, great mids and highs compared to the rosewood from E-Mu.
Iā€™m very impressed with them, Iā€™ve had them for two months.
If I take the mahogany it is 10 minutes away from the head.
The rosewood is priced at $ 110-120 plus shipping from $ 15 and comes with Fedex. The ebony is $ 140, but you have other wood like Paulo Santo and something else.

I believe EMU sells purple heart cups for the X00s

1 Like

I can not say, at least they are really, really good with the Lawton mod, it is a symphony in the ears :slight_smile:

Any idea for extra padding for my ebonies? I want to increase the comfort.

Edit: Apart from Dekoni nuggets

Would ZMF pilot pad(s) work?

I also know that Geekria sells similar padded wraps, however the one I had for another headphone was a pretty tight fit and the padding wasnā€™t too substantial. So, at most, there was a marginal improvement in comfort.

I never tried the ZMF pilot pads myself.

1 Like

Hello,
Buy this from Beyerdynamics custom Game.
Is not expensiv and do his thing.

1 Like

This is a pretty good option. I got one and it workes rather well for when I have my hair short. The ZMF pilot pads are super paced but look ridiculous. This still looks good.

1 Like

I use the Pilot Pad on mine. It works really well. :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s another thing to take into consideration about the pilot pad, the SIZE. If you already have the headband adjusted pretty large then the pilot pad might not work. Otherwise itā€™s great, just a bit bulky for my taste.

1 Like

Very true. I use them at the fourth notch with the Pilot Pad (not as extended in use as the photo). I think I used 2, or 3 before.

1 Like

If youā€™re feeling adventurous and are comfortable with mods you can probably insert in like a strip of memory foam into the headband. If you feel the underside of the headband thereā€™s like a hollowed area almost like a pocket. Out of curiosity I took off the part that holds the sliders together and it looks like you could shove some foam in there. The part panel with the two screws were glued to the leather part but you could easily glue it and clamp it back up.

1 Like

Thanks everybody for your answers. Iā€™m gonna get the Geekria now and probably buy the Zmf in the futureā€¦!