TH-X00/TR-X00/E-MU Teak/Denon biodynamic general discussion

I don’t know much about the SDA 2. My suspiscion though is that it works better via balanced output (as many amps in that price range with a balanced output do). If you can get a balanced cable for your X00 you might find it more comparable to the Denon.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess you’re right.
I’m also going to make a cable, the plugs I already have there.
The only thing missing is the rest like cable XLR connectors.
I guess I’ll have to try it. :wink:

Thanks for the feedback.
Ps:I threw down the mahogany cups and the Ebonys on them from Emu.
I would like then already if then maximally again the cup open then I solder that also decently on it, then I have also peace if the plug connection always jams.
But then I have excluded it if it would be that in the end.

Then it would really be a weak point of the Tr x00 if that would be the case.

I just was reading in a thread somewhere where someone tried modding a headphone, was trying to solder something on the driver and messed everything up and was asking for help.

I was at a loss. His soldering job did not look good and I was afraid he might have destroyed his headphones. The OP felt the same way. I felt bad for him.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s annoying.
Um, you can’t do much wrong as long as you know what plus and minus is on the driver and solder the Xlr connector correctly.

On my is a green and red cable soldered on the outside, not inside.
And maybe it caused a short circuit where too much solder has moved from the outside to the inside.
The question is if it still works when you fix the short circuit or if it is really shot.

Somewhere I have seen a photo of the driver with a description of what is what.
I would have to search for it now because I did not save it.

I posted this a long time ago…

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll save it in case of an emergency, you can always use it. :wink:

In many cases it’s a big risk. Here the driver terminals are easy to get to and solder too. But still, unless you have to do it (like I did) I recommend leaving it be.

2 Likes

Fostex TH-610

2 Likes

Be very careful when it comes to soldering a driver. I’m not sure about this driver, but I know that the t50rp driver can change resistance if you mess it up. The driver will technically function, but will essentially be ruined.

3 Likes

This happens if you keep the soldering iron on the driver terminal for too long. You can overheat the voicecoil and damage it. If you just heat it enough to melt the solder and get the wire on there, you should be fine. The 600-ohm Beyers are particularly sensitive to this because to get a 600 ohm coil of wire they use super fine threads which melt easily compared to many other voice coils.

3 Likes

Hello,
Thanks for your tips.yes, I know the procedure already, since I had to solder on the Denon driver, I noticed that directly.
It is enough actually if one twists the cable and there some solder on it gives and then only briefly on it holds. i have also in the connection also on it looked I nothing with to have soldered that a short circuit could cause. :slight_smile:
It is also true that although I was njr briefly on it, the driver was already quite warm.

So I’m ready to mod my TH-X00 with the 4pin mini xlr connectors I bought so I can use my SE and Balanced Audeze cables. I just need to know where to solder the blue and brown cable in the male connector that will hang from the headphones. Anyone has an idea wich are? Maybe @MazeFrame?

Are you talking about the blue and brown cables in the X00’s existing wire? Mine was wired blue and brown on left and pink and brown on right. In both cases brown is ground and blue/pink were the +. I don’t know what the Audeze pin assignment is, though.

Thanks, that´s what I need to know, the wiring in the xlr 4 pin.
I will also mod the existing cable to xlr.

mini XLR 4-pin as in this one?

Full sized 4-pin XLR is like this:
https://forum.hifiguides.com/uploads/default/original/2X/f/f88a77e844de9355b73fa76edaf8e1b0386c8740.jpeg

Only pinout for Mini-XLR 4-pin I could find is this:

Source

2 Likes

Yes.

Male to the HP, female to the cable

I found this:

The Dennon AH-D5200 is on Massdrop for $600. From the price I’m guessing this is the 1 tesla driver like the TR-X00 and TH-610.

2 Likes

Hello,
Yeah, I saw.
The D5200 can’t even come close to the Tr x00 series.
The D7200 would be more like it if the bass wasn’t too thick.
Currently I have the D7200 here unmodded, my modded D2000 on Emu Rosewood cups and the Tr x00 Mahagony just in conversion to Ebony from Emu, so far I can only say that the D2000 has the nose in front from the 3 listeners, I do not see the sense for a D5200 for 600$ where you can find under this price.
If it would be modded by Massdrop then it would be interesting.

The converted Ebony I have to convert the cable to Xlr connector, because with 6.3 plugs he is too weak for me, I was really spoiled with the D2000 because he has an Xlr connector.
But the Ebony sounded not bad for the beginning.
I think the rosewood lives a little bit more.
But let’s wait and see, I want to create a level playing field.

I would still say that the Emu Teak is ahead of the D5200 in spite of the old driver technology and if I wanted to be more flexible with the Emu cups that are offered as an option, there is definitely nothing wrong.
With the Denon there is unfortunately nothing, not even cups.
I would have been interested in the cups from the D5200 to the d7200 if they are not better, :face_with_monocle:.
But in terms of construction of the Denon really fantastic everything is of high quality.

Are the e-mu teaks basically tr-x00s?