The DEALS thread

Lol, I did! Today, in fact!

I’m putting together a headphone stack for a good friend of mine, and went with the Atom and a D50s, which is technically a $250 DAC, but $185 right now at Drop. I could have gone cheaper (D10 or E30 look great), but Bluetooth support was important as a convenience. So, D50s. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Price doesn’t mean much. Atom + D50S will also be my stack soon.

lol I also have a D50 sitting on top of my Atom. Though it’s the non-S. In my case, those two items got moved to the bedroom after I upgraded the office setup

shouldn’t the amp always be on top of the DAC, due to the heat they generate and heat being the enema of electronics like what’s inside a DAC?

I’ll put the Atom over the D50S because the Atom knob will be easier to reach that way. :stuck_out_tongue:
(Also, my JDS Atom never gets hot…)

Yeah the Atom doesn’t generate hardly any heat so it’s not a problem. The D50 is also smaller so it’d look funny. Unfortunately the Loki doesn’t fit nicely anywhere on it lol

To further echo the sentiment, I started out with a D50 and Atom as well.

1 Like

Atom could’ve been 250$ and people would still have bought and loved it…

1 Like

so do you realize your mistake now? you really needed a Modi 3 w/Loki and Magni 3+ and / or Heresy :wink:

that is a beautiful stack!

1 Like

Ok! I stand corrected :flushed:

Hand in hand lol

1 Like

Lol.

But also, I am a bit surprised how long it’s taking Schiit to get a new Modi out there. They responded well to criticism regarding their Magni and Asgard amps and put out really good revisions. But that’s been months now. Get your Schiit together! :laughing:

Yeah I agree, the bifrost 2 was excellent, a new and improved modi would be great

Thing is, I feel that in the signal chain the amp is the most important part other than the headphones. hey, take that extra 100$ from the dac and spend it on the amp! Get a Asgard or Archel or something.

2 Likes

They are still a small company and likely can’t do too much multitasking. So maybe they put effort into the more expensive DAC first, now they’re figuring out how to scale that tech down to the ~$100 price point and finding it difficult?

I totally agree with you. Headphones - Amp - DAC. :+1:t4:

And if you’re serious about this hobby, invest in a good signal chain (DAC, Amp) so that you’ll have a better assessment of current and future headphones.

1 Like

Could be, I mean they have already done that though with their new products, I see no reason to buy the jot or the gumby anymore when the asgard 3 and the bifrost 2 exists imo, but the 100 price point is harder to do for sure I would assume

if Topping can do the D10 and sell it at $90…Schiit should be able to do something with the Magni, even if it’s $110, cause of made in the USA.

Thats probably why they haven’t bothered lol

could be Anty…but it’s not good form. I hope they can make a Modi 3+ that fixes the compression issues the 3 suffers from. calling it the 4 would be wrong, since the rest of the stack is still on 3 :wink: