šŸ”¶ ThieAudio Legacy 2

First 6 minutes listening: tonality is great, sounds wonderful with everything so far, not too warm or cold for anything, perfectly good detail without sibilance. Thieaudioā€™s fit has always been like a puzzle piece for me so thatā€™s a plus.

Only technical issue noted: male vocals and some female vocals have a thin raspy film ā€œgrain?ā€ on them it might change with time.

Stage is very decent, imagining average.

Edit: It was more like 15 minutes. Time passes strangely on the can. Idea for channel name: ā€œTesting cans on the canā€

3 Likes

I had virtually the same experience.

Iā€™m still listening to them now. They sound really nice with a lot of what comes up - bare tracks of singer/guitar, higher pitch tracks like The Smithsā€¦ Dance tracks, Johnny Cash, itā€™s great! I love Led Zeppelin but usually earphones I like make their tracks sound thin and tinnyā€¦ somehow thatā€™s not happening with these.

The vocal timbre issue isnā€™t the standard BA timbre issue. For contrast my Dusks came today and after 20 minutes I can say In skeptical about keeping them specifically because of vocals. A tad withdrawn, and just an odd timbre I assume is ā€œBA plastickyā€ to use prior terms Iā€™ve seen. A very accomplished set but the vocals really do matter to me.

On the L2 theyā€™re not plasticky, perhaps ā€œreedyā€ would describe it? Which is sad if it doesnā€™t change because the vocal levels are very pleasing to me. But it might? Iā€™ll have to A/B with the Mangird later to see if I really need the improvement. The Mangird is better no doubt, but the longer I enjoy these the less Iā€™ll remember what Iā€™m missingā€¦ Theyā€™re a party. Lively, never harsh.

EDIT: listening to ā€œNow you love meā€ by the Dandy Warhols, great start but I spoke too soon about no harshness. Itā€™s a busy track and the treble is starting to splash/get out of hand. Taking volume down a couple ticks made it comfortable but not fantastic.

3 Likes

Woop there it is. My breakdown of the Legacy 2 as a budget pick, especially as a pairing with the Starfield. I just couldnā€™t pick between the two. I have to recommend both for about $200 total.

7 Likes

Even Linsoul considers the Legacy 2 as cheap, everyday ā€œbeatersā€. lol

Really looking forward to these, should be arriving today (order through armazon uk).

1 Like

4 Likes

have the L2 incoming, very curious how its gonna stack against the legacy 3 and fh3

5 Likes

L2s arrived - first ramblings, these things are very enjoyable. Thought Iā€™d throw some Slipknot at them to see how they handle the percussion in particular - thereā€™s some serious snap and power/authority going on here (intro to [Sic], Eyeless, Surfacing, oh yes!). Something very good going on with Prongā€™s Snap Your Fingers,Snap Your Neck that surprised me as well (Iā€™m crap at trying to articulate this by the way) Tommy Victorā€™s guitar sounds just sounds so crunchy but clean with it. For Ā£85 and for a chunk of my library so worth it - my wallet doesnā€™t thank any of you :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

(Disclaimer: checked out the hearing test vid @Resolution posted, apparently Iā€™ve the ears of a 50 year old - but Iā€™ll take that since Iā€™m 52 :wink:)

Edit: forgot to mention, comfort/fit very good (first Thieaudioā€™s Iā€™ve tried) - med spinfits (145) but guess i shouldā€™ve tried some of the stock tips first.

3 Likes

Donā€™t bother. Spinfits for the win. Congratulations!

2 Likes

Killin it!

2 Likes

Did a bit of tip rolling - youā€™re right I shouldnā€™t have bothered, spinfits all the way :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Another glowing recommendation for the Legacy 2!

2 Likes

The L 2s rock for 99 dollars the only buy in the under 100 dollar mark !

1 Like

Another outstanding shootout.

Question.
Any advice for a balanced 4.4mm cable for this L2 that will make sense (price/quality ratio)?
Will be using mostly with FIIO M11 Pro
My FH3 definitively improved with balanced 4.4mm cable via M11 Pro.
Looking for same result on my L2
Share your knowledge folks
Thanks in advance!

Can someone compare the legacy 4 to this?

Well I will answer to myself.
A simple Tripowin C8 with 4.4mm balanced did the trick with my M11Pro.
Soundstage definitively improved: volume, bass mid hi elevated and better separated.
If you have a balanced source get this or similar balanced cable a very good L2 as it is will get even better.

I just posted my review of the Legacy 2 in the Acho Reviews thread:

Itā€™s my first time posting in this forum then :'D

Here is my ThieAudio Legacy 2 review:

4 Likes