šŸ”¶ Thieaudio Legacy 3

BGGAR explains it hereā€¦

3 Likes

On IEMs, they change the tuning. Some dip switches will increase/lower lower frequencies, some mids and some highs

3 Likes

Are these worth owning if I have oh10 and starfields? How do they compare? Been loving on some sub $200 iems.

Youā€™ve covered a lot with those two solid sets :+1: I donā€™t think the L3 ā€˜side stepā€™ would be worth it IMHOā€¦but that depends on what youā€™re looking for?..one set to rule them all? lol.

1 Like

Yea not sure if Iā€™m missing anything as far as a side grade but wouldnā€™t mind selling one to replace though hahaha, could just be curiosity hahaā€¦do you know much about the Mangird Tea, is that a big step over the L3

Sorry mate Iā€™ve no heard the Teaā€™s but maybe these guys can?..
https://forum.hifiguides.com/t/mangird-tea-6-ba-1dd/13031/15

1 Like

I was just listening to all of my IEMs last night. It all boils down to what you enjoy as a listener. It is pretty amazing how they all sound so different from one another.

Iā€™ll attempt to describe the Mangird & L3 for you.

The L3 has a pretty good stage for its price range. I think the more drivers in an IEM, usually the wider the stage is. Iā€™m finding that single driver IEMs have a stereo (left/right) field, but usually a blob for an actual sound stage with not a lot of separation (like a 650/6XX headphone). The L3 is very laid back. This is not an IEM for those that require a lot of treble. The L3ā€™s dynamic driver slams quite hard and the L3 is very focused in the mids and low end.

The Mangird in comparison to the L3 has an even larger stage. The best way I can describe the Mangird is as ā€œnaturalā€. Thereā€™s nothing that really feels out of place. The stage is very smooth and there are no parts of the frequency that overshadow others. The Mangird lacks the L3ā€™s lower midrange focus and instead has clear and outstanding sub bass. There is no low end bleeding into the mids. The Mangird is also going to deliver much more present highs/treble that are very smooth. The Mangird doesnā€™t slam as hard as the L3 but the dynamic in the Mangird does a fantastic job.

Both are very light. I believe the L3 is the lightest IEM I own. It weighs almost nothing. Both IEM stems go pretty far into my ears and both create a vacuum inside my ear canal that is quite uncomfortable with silicone tips, so I have to use foam tips with them. I feel the Mangird has more suction vs the L3 in this regard.

If I had to choose one, Iā€™d hands down go with the Mangird. Everything sounds so balanced, natural and correct in the Mangird. The L3 is more fun/less analytical and is pretty heavy handed when it comes to the mid and low frequencies.

The L3 has the dip switched that can also help tailor the L3 to suit your own needs. Some have reported that they have sold their L3 because of the switches digging into their ears. Luckily, they donā€™t bother mine at all.

Hope this is helpful!

4 Likes

Thanks for the write up! i just bought the Teas so this reaffirms my decision lol thanks again!

1 Like

My pleasure! Both are great IEMs. If I had to keep only one of my IEMs, I think it would be the Mangird. I enjoy it that much. I just wish I could use silicone tips with it since theyā€™re easy to pop in. Iā€™m using Dekoni Mercury medium and Comply Sport medium tips on the L3 and Mangird. Some have reported being able to use silicone tips with the Mangird so you might get lucky with your ears!

Enjoy the Mangird Tea! Canā€™t wait to hear your reactions.

I really enjoy taking photos of my products and sharing them when discussing, so hereā€™s a pic of my Mangird Teaā€¦

1 Like

I donā€™t own the OH10, but I do own the Starfield. The Starfield is a really great IEM, and most people could probably just stop there. But if youā€™re looking for larger stage, more natural/balanced tuning, the Mangird is a good choice vs the Starfield. There is nothing ā€œwrongā€ with the Starfield. It is excellent!!!

1 Like

Thanks again, sounds awesome. I do have a varity of tips, dekoni foam, spin fit, and final silicone. I like the spin fit the best for the oh10 and the final for starfields. I dont care for the memory foam though

Iā€™m 100% with you. Spin fits are my preferred but I canā€™t get away with them on the Mangird or L3 and Iā€™ve tried everything I own. The Mangird actually sounds great with foam for my tastes.

1 Like

Cool, i will definitely try that. The starfields with the foam werenā€™t too bad, just a comfort thing for me.

OKā€¦ Can someone help me understand what exactly is going on and why certain IEMs have this behavior and others do not?

I just received the Xelastec tips yesterday. They have a tacky surface and in return create an incredible seal easily. Iā€™ve been experimenting this morning with them on all my IEMs.

Iā€™ve experienced suction on my inner ear with the Mangird Tea and Legacy 3 previously. The Xelastec tips work well with the L3 but the bass is completely gone with the Xelastec tips on the Mangird Tea. Iā€™m not experiencing the suction issue with these tips though. I can not use anything on the Mangird Tea other than foam because of these issues.

Does anyone have any insight into this? Would love to hear from your experiences.

1 Like

Bass response will vary if a DD canā€™t move fully, this maybe down to inner ear pressure due to the tight fitā€¦if the IEM doesnā€™t have a big enough porting hole to compensate then this can cause a loss of bass and may cause ear pain.

4 Likes

I got the FiiO FiiO UTWS1 2pin. I can not wait till my L3 will be made. I ordered the custom IEM on Friday. I believe it will be more or less like the Moondrop Starfield. I already own a balanced cable to use with my FiiO Q5s. I am hyped to get my first custom one and first IEM that will not kill my ears because of the Foam or and rubber tips which just make my ears irritated af.

You will get some photos and thoughs in the next 1-3 weeks. Btw thinking about the lack of bass; The L3 have the vent on the inside right? This is good for isolation I guess but also an issue for some ears.

2 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say theyā€™re similar to the starfields. Starfields are very smooth throughout its entire frequency. L3ā€™s are noticeably bassier with better imaging, but a smaller soundstage that doesnā€™t wrap behind the head. Really comes down to preference of the sound in the end. Canā€™t go wrong with either of em.

1 Like

My very first pair of IEMs and my entry to the Audiophile community/scene.

Unfortunately, with the pandemic schools shutdown and I will get significantly less money due to it 'cause my allowance is cut. So I decided Iā€™ll buy an IEM as my first piece of audiophile equipment. And I love it.

The only other audio equipment I use is the Bose QC 35, and this was my basis on listening to these.

Packaging and design-wise, the clockworks looks much more better than what is seen on the pictures. The new green packaging makes it look much more premier than it was before, honestly it gave me more of a pro on buying these than the Starfields.

For the bass, for me it was the most similar thing to the qc35s, but on certain songs the bass on these felt more textured, and feels so juicy. The mids on the other hand, they show more detail such as the decay of voices, the hidden second voices on tracks, and a beautiful sounding vocal. The highs are something I have never truly enjoyed before, on the qc35 itā€™s like they are non-existent if I ever hear them, itā€™s because i turned the volume to the red levels (the ear damage warning for Samsung phones) and the song is pretty much distorted already. It is like it is the first time I hear treble, and it was a beautiful experience. Although it has its own flaws, the treble seems to be of lower sounding or rolled off on some very high frequency sounds, and when you are playing at a 35-50%+ volume (Samsung volume for reference, pretty loud already imo) some treble on some tracks it will sound cracking or like the feeling that the drivers cannot reproduce the same sound. Nevertheless, I still enjoyed hearing most of the treble.

It is honestly surprising me, how at 1/4 of the price of the QC35 it has even equal noise isolation (at least for certain scenarios), and has a much better sound quality maybe like around 30% or possibly more (15 hours of listening atm, so i might see even more detail and like it more).

This makes me really want to listen and have high end gear, but for now I am enjoying these, and hopefully by the end of the year I could buy myself my first pair of audiophile headphones. Hope you all a good day ahead!

9 Likes

Hey guys these use the qdc connector right?

Not 100% sure, but Iā€™m fairly certain the non-customs are QDC and customs are 2 Pin.

4 Likes