Time to change my A700 in favor of something different?

Hi guys,
I’m thinking about changing my actual setup (Audio Technica A700 (closed back) + SMSL M3 Amp/Dac) with something new.
I read some reviews about the HyperX Cloud Orbit S and they seem to be a rebrand of the Audeze Mobius but for a more affordable price (not really interested in wireless connection).
I like the sound of my A700, but the headband mechanism is terrible IMO and I would prefer something more traditional.
I would use these headphones only at home with my PC, mainly for gaming (Competitive fps as well as single player RPGs like The Witcher) but sometimes for music too.
Can you give me any advice about other headphones in the same price range (200-250€ in italy)?
I’m curious about tryng open back headphones, I wonder how my experience would change.

1 Like

Ah the a700, haven’t seen someone with a pair for awhile lol

What type of sound signature are you going for? What do you listen to?

1 Like

My bad, I meant A700X.
Anyway, I mainly listen south american music, so many bass etc, but music won’t be the main focus because I don’t listen much music at home
Honestly I don’t know what sound signature I’m going for, I’m not a great expert of these things :sweat:

1 Like

Hmmm, what aspects of the 700x do you like, and what would you change? (in sound, besides build and comfort lol)

Also are you looking for something portable then?

1 Like

Sound is very linear and clean, maybe I would like bit more bass but without exaggerations. The soundstage is very wide even if they have a closed back, that’s why I wonder how the experience of an open back headphone can be.
In general they sound ok to me, the only concern (not about sound) besides comfort is the fact that they do not have a removable 3.5mm jack, so I can’t use detachable mics like the vmoda boom pro for example.

1 Like

Hmm. I would say the dt880 600 ohm and an amp like a schiit magni heresy or liquid spark, but those do not have a removable cable. They are great all rounders with very nice comfort, a neutral and accurate sound, and great imaging and soundstage, should be a solid upgrade imo

If you wanted something closed, the mdr-1am2 is pretty nice, but is a more relaxed warmer sound, and I’m not sure if it can support a boom pro (but it might I just haven’t tried)

Personally for gaming I would highly recommend the 880 600 ohm as imo it’s one of the top performers in the price bracket for comp gaming (and music all rounders as well) as long as you have the amp for it. If you needed a good mic, you could get a desktop mic perhaps, or get a modmic or something similar somewhat easily

1 Like

I can’t find the Schiit magni heresy nor the liquid spark here in italy (both on amazon and ebay), do you know any other affordable amps for about the same price?

1 Like

Hmmm, I think schiit has an eu store
https://www.schiit-europe.com/index.php/producten/amps/magni-heresy-headphone-amp-and-preamp.html

I also found this italian store as well

https://www.proaudioitalia.it/schiit

1 Like

I just found the Liquid Spark on amazon.com and it ships to Italy too, it’s this one right?
Which one would you suggest more between the Heresy and Liquid Spark? I just read on an amazon review that sound clarity is better on liquid spark.
At the end of the day they would cost me aroud the same amount of money…

1 Like

So the liquid spark would be a warmer and more relaxed sounding amp, where the heresy would be more punchy and detailed, and a bit brighter. I like both pairings, I think if you want the best technicalities, go with the heresy, and if you want a bit warmer more relaxed sound the spark is my pick. You will use your m3 as a dac to feed the amp

1 Like

Oh ok so they are just amps…the M3 is an Amp too, will it create any sort of conflict?

1 Like

The m3 is a dac and amp, and has rca line out that you can use to bypass the amp inside the m3 and only use the dac for the other amps

1 Like

Ok perfect I understood now.
So you can confirm me that the dt990 has a detachable 3.5mm jack?

1 Like

No, neither the 880, 990, nor 770 have a detachable cable unfortunately

Do I need to buy a separate RCA cable?

1 Like

To connect the m3 to the amp? yes, but any rca cable will do if you have any laying around somewhere

2 Likes

Ok, I ordered both the headphones and the amp, maybe I’ll write here again when I’ll receive them to ask some questions about how to connect the whole thing, thank you for the moment!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah if you have any other questions just ask, hopefully you enjoy it :+1:

2 Likes

Hi, today I’ll receive the headphones, how do I have to connect the whole system?

You would connect the amp to the headphones, and the dac to the amp via rca