Topping D50S dac

I used the optical out via PS4 and it’s dead silent, I’ll try again with another pc and let you know what I get

Gotcha, using optical would isolate you electrically from the pc so a ground loop wouldn’t happen

3 Likes

Take heresy schitt or sp200…its your money

So I have the whole stack on it’s way to me.

(My first Dac, amp !!!)

The dac, power supply and amp all in black.
Small desktop footprint fits the bill and I’m an on the move guy most of the time.

Now I want to look into a headphones and the tin p1

Amazon basic RCA cables good enough?

Shipping is slooooowwwww from China!!! Atm!!!

1 Like

Yes. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had this issue but only when using the D50s with my self powered studio monitors. Even before I switched to using optical and was using USB I never heard any noise coming through my thx 789. Just use optical with your PC if possible. If the problem persists and you have tried ur sp200 with another dac that doesn’t have the hiss then you should try to rma the D50s.

Hey guys, so I have a living room setup with Kali LP-6’s and a bedroom setup with Mackie MR624’s (powered monitors). My thinking is optical out of both tv’s to DAC then to monitors, but my question is, should i go with a balanced dac like the SU-8 or the D50’s? Im in an apartment so utmost resolution at high volume isn’t necessary, just want a great way to listen to Tidal from Apple TV 4K with a remote to control volume. Thanks

Either option should work as intended. Also consider the Topping E30 since it’s a lot cheaper. Are you planning on buying two dacs? One for living room and one for bedroom? Curious since you mentioned both setups.

The Su-8 vs D50s balanced xlr only matters for long cable runs. Like longer than ~6-12ft. So just pick up whatever suits your needs better if you decide to go with one of those options.

1 Like

yes i would be buying for each, runs would only be 3-5 ft max, also looking at the E30. I guess since there would be no added benefit going balanced it might give me more value to just go single ended and E30. i guess i just have a little FOMO. Thank you

Really not much of a sonic difference between low-price DACs. But D50S got bluetooth + LDAC, could be fun to stream CD-quality music in the living room with phones/tablets etc. :slight_smile:

very true, thats whats holding me up although i run everything through Apple TV for the screen experience, also i can turn off the screen when i just want music…correct me if im wrong but i don’t think apple does LDAC

Yeah, Apple doesn’t do LDAC but they do have AAC wireless which the D50s can do. The D50s also does aptx and aptxHD so you’re covered when it comes to wireless with this little dac.

I must say you get a lot of dac for $250. The SQ is smooth and clean with no ESS hump in the frequency range which is very nice. My Mimby might be more musical and some would say fun sounding but the D50s has a more clear and clean sound with a much lower thd.

1 Like

I’ve got today D50s + A50 for testing. I’ve ordered both 2 months ago but finally here. Actually wanted to cancel the order but seller has no problem if I will return those if I won’t be satisfied.

For a month I’ve had used Fiio Olympus 2 as temporary solution. I was busy today and don’t really had time for proper testing and considering fact I’m pretty new into the game I can talking some silly things using weird words to describe my experience.

As comparsion I’ll use mentioned Fiio Olympus 2. It’s not fair matchup vs D50s + A50 but don’t really tried different equipment.

I’m usind Beyerdynamic DT 1990 pro with Dekoni Velour Elite pads.

Noise range for some instruments / frequency ranges looks more balanced with A50 + D50s (is this that migty linear sound profile of D50s?). When I was trying to poorly A/B testing I had an impression that on Fiio higher tones are louder with comparsion to other than on Topping stack.

I’m hearing more with Topping and what I hear seems to be more “crystal” sounding in comparsion to Fiio which seems to sound a little washed out / blurry. I’ve encountered term as “higher resolution” on various reviews and It seems to fit with this impression.

Take my impressions with distance. As I said I’m pretty new in sound game, cheers.

4 Likes

Always a good thing to get stuff and realize all your music can sound less “blurry”. :slight_smile: :+1:

3 Likes

I’ve heard good things about swapping op-amp in D50s to MUSES02 and guess what I’ve received today:

2 Likes

A heads up for anyone considering the D50s.
I’ve been using the D50S for a while a now and it’s a great DAC. But it’s a got an a really annoying quirk. Whenever you turn the unit “off” it’s actually goes into standby so that it can still receive remote input. But while it’s in standby, your computer will still detect it as on while connected over USB. It’s useful in that the unit will automatically wake when you play audio. Though I would much prefer it to just disconnect. What’s more annoying is that anything connected over Bluetooth will remain connected when you switch it off. Why Topping would design it that way beyond me. Because of that, I set up a switch to fully remove power when I want to turn it off.

Meh, that’s not the best way to do this.
Will the unit automatically wake up when you play audio from bluetooth too?

I just checked and doesn’t seem to turn on from bluetooth playback. But I also noticed it does at least sometimes disconnect when put into standby. Some I’m not sure what’s up with that.

1 Like

Glad it doesn’t do that at least… imagine receiving a call or watching a video at night on your smartphone/tablet and not noticing the tiny little bluetooth “connected” icon, then hear it blaring through the speakers. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyone ever got the Problem that the D50S is not being found anymore after downloading a newer driver?

My PC doesnt react anymore after connecting it what the hell?
Anyone got an Idea?