šŸ”· Topping E30

So I just got the Topping E30 today. Is there a sound difference between pre-amp mode and pure dac mode? Out of the box the default setting is pre-amp mode and I had to press and hold the power button for 3 seconds to switch it to dac mode. It doesnā€™t tell you this and if it did the manual is in Chinese. I only found out by chance by looking at reviews.

Really? When I hold my power button down for an extended period it turns offā€¦ then if I hold it longer it says ā€œpreā€ but if I just click it once it goes to DAC mode for me Iā€™m fairly certain

you have to press and hold the power button while itā€™s off to switch. If it says pre just keep holding it till it says dac.

this is what the main display should look like in dac mode.

4 Likes

Yeah yeah, mine looked like that since day 1. I had to try to put it in PreAmp mode. Weird

1 Like

Hey folks, I know very little about electronics, soā€¦
The e30 calls for power of 5vā€¦1amp. Is it ok to use the phone
charger I have which is 5v but 1.8 amp? Seems like should be
ok, but want to make sure before I plug it in. Just got it. $130 of
cute! Anxious to hook it up to my Atom and Sundara!

The E30 should only draw the amount of current it needs. You should be fine.

2 Likes

Great, thanks!

Iā€™ve seen a review that recommends the iFi iPower for the E30 saying it opens up the soundstage. Would a power supply like this really improve the E30? If it does Iā€™m definitely getting it.

It doesnā€™t transform the e30, but in brief testing it did make a noticeable difference (I would say improvement), so if you like the e30 already this might be a good thing to pick up imo

2 Likes

Just realized how Jds has the EL amp and dac while Topping has the E30 dac and L30 amp. For a minute I forgot they were from separate companies and thought the EL products were the reason for the E and L products.

Nope, itā€™s just their new name for their Eigital to analog converters and headphone Lamplifiers :thinking:

4 Likes

May be a dumb question. Just hooked mine up. Should I be maxing out headphone amp volume and then using remote adjust or just using amp to control volume? Does it make any difference other than preference? Or should I switch to just DAC mode?

Personally I would suggest maxing out the dac (using it in dac mode) and using the amp volume, but if you want to use the remote it wonā€™t really hurt sq

2 Likes

Thx currently running the hd558s from e30-liquid spark at like 8oclock is loud lolā€¦think preamp and some volume down in order. I was worried about possible sound degradationā€¦it will be a different story when the dt880s get here this afternoon :slight_smile:

The 558s is pretty efficient lol

You should be fine as long as you arenā€™t using digital volume

Yes it will lol, make sure to put the spark in high gain and have it in dac mode

Yep that was the plan for the gain/dac mode. By digital volume you are basically talking about setting computer sound to 100% right?

Yes volume on your pc and software

Received my E30 yesterday and I have a question about sound format settings on my PC. What do you set yours to and why (e.g. 24-bit or 32? 48khz or 96, or 192 etc.)? When I choose this format setting, am I defaulting all audio on my PC to that, or will the E30 play audio in its original format? No matter what I play, switching between YT, iTunes, and Tidal Masters, the E30 display says 48.0 regardless.

Similar problem here. On chromebook alwas shows 48 (except 44.1 for utube premium music) and on the lg phone 192 for everthing. As if itā€™s showing capabilities of the device. ???

Hello,
no, the Dacā€™s generally have no integrated upscaling.
Nevertheless, it would be good if you use it on the PC in the sound settings there select 24/192 or more.
This guarantees that if it should ever have a better source file, it will then also play at maximum resolution.
If you donā€™t set anything there, the Dacā€™s play in the factory settings that were set by the drivers.
Most Dacā€™s donā€™t have any upscaling, but more technical equipment would be necessary.
If you still have apps like Roon, Amazon, Deezeer and co. Thenn it would be good if you select the Dac in the apps settings for the sound output. This also guarantees that everything arrives at the Dac to convert everything it needs.
You canā€™t do more, the Dac would have to recognize and display Dsd itself.