šŸ”· Topping L30

Wanted to get some quick impressions here. Iā€™ve read a bit of the back thread here. Iā€™m looking to compare something against my Asgard 3. Iā€™d been considering the Heresy for a bit, but now I am leaning towards the L30. Which would offer a more contrasting experience?

My headphones that itā€™ll be pairing with are the Focal Elear and Elegia.

I also use a BTR5, just as an FYI.

Would also like to know how it compares to the A3. I wanted to upgrade from the LS to A3 but the L30 seems like a better deal.

Personally I think you are making a side grade moving from a liquid spark to a L30, whereas the A3 is more of an upgrade imo. The L30 is goIng to be more neutral than the spark yes, but itā€™s only slightly more resolving and you loose some organicness and impact (along with a smaller stage but better imaging). The asgard 3 is moving up to the next tier of performance in comparison with honestly an overall upgrade in capabilities with a bit neutral warmer signature

Thanx MON, will hold out untill I can find a A3

I got an open-box but new L30 off eBay for a good price, so I decided to try it out as a preamp and spare headphone amp. My main headphone amp is an Asgard 3.

I didnā€™t test it for long but my Asgard 3 was noticeably better sounding to my ears. It had a smoother sound and more pleasing tonality. Comparatively, the L30 sounded relatively harsh in the way it reproduced electric guitars and drum high-hats. I also perceived better separation on the Asgard. Otherwise, the L30 seemed good. The sound is probably not for me though (at least compared to the Asgardā€™s sound).

Iā€™ll be returning the L30 because it doesnā€™t work as I had thought it would as a preamp (the preamp gain is too high for my set up - even at low gain things get quite loud at around 10 oā€™clock). Iā€™ll be going back to using my E30 as a pre, despite me wanting a volume knob very badly.

Also, I really hate the L30ā€™s pot. There is that ā€œwiggleā€ people have complained about. I wiggle the knob clockwise and anti-clockwise a little and not have any changes to the volume. After being used to how smooth the Asgard knob is, I donā€™t think I could live with that.

2 Likes

INTRODUCTION

The second little device Apos Audio graciously sent me to review is the Topping L30. As a reminder from my E30 review, I am now enrolled in Apos Audioā€™s affiliate program but have otherwise received no attempts from Apos to influence my opinion on the L30 or any other piece of gear.

The Topping L30 is a 139.99USD headphone amplifier in the budget, measurement-chasing category. And measure well it does! I wonā€™t go into all the gory details here and leave that to Aposā€™s website where we see measured distortion numbers that approach 0 in all real-world listening situations and plenty of rated power (up to 3.5 watts per channel, in fact). Other notable features are the fact that the L30 is built around the same amplifier technology found in Toppingā€™s top-of-the-line (top of Toppingā€™s line, that is) A90 amplifier. The L30 offers 3 gain stages and can function as a preamplifier as well.

BUILD

There really isnā€™t anything to complain about with the build quality. The unit is a rugged metal box with a sturdy plastic faceplate. The volume knob has a fair amount of resistance. The switches have a satisfying click when they get flipped. It has a no-nonsense industrial design which I find pleasing and is a good aesthetic match to the E30 DAC (see my review here)ā€¦which makes sense as they were conceived to stack together in the first place. One small nitpick is that the all-black model (the L30 also comes in silver) can be very hard to see in a darkened room. Letā€™s play a little game called ā€œFind the L30ā€:

Yep, thatā€™s my desk in a dark room lit by only monitor light and all the glowing electronic doohickeys you see. Did you find the L30? Probably. But you squinted, didnā€™t you? Admit it! A couple of times I did bump into things a little harder than I would have liked because I was fumbling for the L30ā€™s pot in a room lit like that. Keep that in mind if youā€™re a dark-room listener or game a lot in the dark. However, that quibble aside I found the unit very easy and straightforward to use. The preamp feature is well executed too. I didnā€™t notice much a sonic penalty, if there was one at all, when using its preout. The preout and headphone out are also toggled with a switch on the front panel instead of having to plug or unplug headphones. That means you can leave your cans and your powered speakers/speaker amp/tube amp all plugged in at the same time and switch back and forth from the L30ā€™s internal amp and its preout via that switch. Itā€™s an interesting twist on that feature that some may appreciate.

SOUND

The L30ā€™s initial sonic presentation is clean and smooth. And thatā€™s not just and initial presentation, it stays clean and smooth throughout. Even when a track gets busy, itā€™s clean and smooth. My experience with THX amps, which are also in this measurement-chasing game, is that they can be quite sharp and brittle in the treble. The L30 does not suffer from that issue and that helps a lot with this perception of smoothness. However, to my ear, this smoothness is too much of a good thing. Some detail and speed is sacrificed in this trade and at times the L30 sounds over-smoothed. There are a handful of situations where that over-smoothness can be a benefit ā€“ really busy and poorly recorded metal tracks were some that I found ā€“ but by-in-large I personally missed the detail and resolution that this smoothness appeared to cover over. Now, some may argue that this over-smoothness was due to DAC pairings. That is unlikely as I did the bulk of my listening with Toppingā€™s own D10 DAC ā€“ which is a measurement champ at its price point and also has that whole ESS sharpness thing going on. I tried the Schiit Modius and SMSL SU-8 as well. The Modius was slightly smoother than the other two but this smoothness was a feature of the L30ā€™s sound with all of the DACs.

The sound signature of the L30 is also a touch mid-forward. I detected a slight emphasis on much of the vocal frequency range. This emphasis alone isnā€™t necessarily good or bad and is very much up to listener preference. I have an annoying hearing sensitivity in the 1KHz range so I noticed this forwardness but didnā€™t have much extra trouble with shoutiness as compared to using other amps. Treble has reasonably good timbre but is also where the L30ā€™s smoothness is the most noticeable. The bass is a mixed bag. Whatā€™s there is pleasant and not distracting, but there is also a surprising subbass roll-off. Simply put, the L30ā€™s bass extension bottoms out before its competition does. Deep notes that I expected to hear in familiar tracks just didnā€™t get the oomph, authority, or control that Iā€™m accustomed too even in this price range.

The L30ā€™s spatial performance was reasonably good. The soundstage was wide and the imaging was coherent and it was able to maintain that width and coherence when tracks got busy. Neither feature was standard setting at the price point but nor was either feature significantly lagging. Overall, the spatial performance seems appropriate for a $140 unit.

HEAPHONE PAIRINGS

I found the L30 to be more sensitive to different driver types than most of its similarly priced competition. Overall, I think the L30 performs best with planar-magnetic-driver headphones. Iā€™m not an engineer by trade so youā€™ll have to accept my Physics-II level of understanding of alternating current circuits here, but my suspicion is the amplifier topology in the L30 delivers power more efficiently when itā€™s driving loads that like more current (planars!) and delivers power less efficiently when its driving loads that like more voltage (dynamic drivers). My comments above about over-smoothness and bass roll-off were present on all driver types but to a noticeably lesser degree on my planars (HiFiMan Edition X V2 and Audeze LCD-2 revision 1 prefazor). My more price-appropriate Beyerdynamic DT880 600-ohm and Massdrop + Sennheiser HD6XX ā€“ both of which are a bit on the bass-light side to begin with ā€“ sounded even more thin and less authoritative on the L30 than other similarly priced amps. My biodynamic-driver based Massdrop + Fostex TH-X00 with Lawton cups suffered the most, though. On the L30 it sounded flat ā€“ not a frequency response kind of flat, but a lacking-energy-and-vigor kind of flat. It normally sounds quite lively and detailed but it did not take well to the L30. Of my dynamic-driver headphones, the Focal Elegia responded to the L30 the best. The Elegiaā€™s slight mid-forward signature actually jived well with the L30ā€™s similar presentation. I think the L30 would be most at home powering a planar-magnetic based headphone that has a V-shaped or bright signature and is more aggressively detailed than average. I donā€™t have either on hand but I hypothesize it would be a good match for the Fostex RP-driver based headphones (T?0RP, Dekoni Blue, Modhouse Argons, etc) or maybe some of the entry level HiFiMans from the HE-4?? series, particularly a warmer model like the HE-4XX from Massdrop where the headphoneā€™s warmth may mask the L30ā€™s bass roll-off a bit. I think in the case of the Fostex RP driver it would bring their signature back toward neutral and might smooth out some their rougher treble in some areas. The HiFiMans can tend toward brightness and sharpness at times and the L30ā€™s smoothness might balance that out well, too. A disclaimer on these hypotheses, though: they are educated guesses, not guarantees. If anyone buys such a combo and doesnā€™t like it, please no hate mail.

COMPARISONS WITH OTHER AMPS

Overlapping with this review I had the exciting privilege of having several other similarly priced headphone amps on hand. I have the JDS Labs Atom amp, Monolith Liquid Spark amp, iFi Zen CAN, and Schiit Asgard 3 in my personal collection and had the Schiit Magnius and Geshelli Labs Archel 2 GMR (review here) in for review. I plan to do a full-fledged shootout post with all those amps in the near future as theyā€™re all in the $99-199 range. Because of that future post I will not comment too much here; consider this paragraph a trailer. That said the Topping L30 is the measurement champion in this group. The Geshelli GMR, at least by Geshelliā€™s in-house measurement claims, essentially match the L30 in distortion, signal-to-noise ratio, and SINAD measurements but claims something close to 1/3 of the L30ā€™s rated power output. The Atom amp and Magnius come very close to those distortion and noise measurements with the Atom also only claiming about 1/3 of the L30ā€™s rated power and the Magnius claiming about another 1.5 watts of rated power per channel more but also costing an additional $60 and almost requiring headphones that can be powered balanced. The Zen CAN is class A and the Asgard 3 is class A/B and are both more expensive. They technically donā€™t compete with the L30 on distortion measurements on paper, but the truth is all of these amps in this roundup measure well beyond the levels where any red flags can be reasonably claimed. As far as sound goes, the L30 has the smoothest and arguably most mid-forward sonic presentation of these amps. Whether that is good or bad depends largely on listener preference and headphone pairings. The L30 also shares that super-clean sonic presentation with the Atom, GMR, and Magnius. However, the L30ā€™s bass-roll off is more pronounced than the bass roll-off of any of the other amps in this set and its smoothness also can come across as it being the least detailed. Again, whether thatā€™s a good or bad thing depends a lot on headphone pairings and listener preference. Stay tuned for the full round-up post for more details on how all these amps compare.

FINAL THOUGHTS

The Topping L30 is a well-built and affordable headphone amplifier that easily wins the measurement championship at its price point. It has an interesting twist on the preamp/headphone amp integration I havenā€™t seen at this price and that works well. The sonic presentation is a clean and smooth but does come at the price of some lost detail and bass that rolls off more quickly than competing headphone amplifiers. The L30 seems to be most at home powering aggressive planar-magnetic headphones. So, if measurements matter to you, youā€™re on a budget, and you have or are interested in playing with aggressive planar headphones in the budget range, the Topping L30 headphone amp might be for you.

Thanks for reading and enjoy the music everyone!

7 Likes

Can you give us any more teasers, in particular around the Atom which seems to have held the crown previously?

:warning:

On the 7th January 2021, reports about faulty L30ā€™s causing damage to headphones were posted to ASR, Reddit and SBAF.

The cause of the fault are up to speculation, the nature of the failure suggests start-up current surge or electro static discharge to be the cause.

Edit: One more report on head-fi

8 Likes

Ufff really bad.
Something must have gone off electrically and caused an overvoltage.
Thatā€™s the only thing that could have caused it.

We canā€™t do more than advise you not to use your headphones until we know which batch might be affected.
In addition, China is on holiday for the whole month.

thatā€™s gonna hurt Topping really bad as it will start having everyone question their Chi-Fi product(s) from them.

1 Like

Agreed. Posts like this should help keep them honest, though.

1 Like

I have only read the initial reports that @mazeframe has posted.
The second worst thing is that it seems to be technically so that it inevitably destroys the headphones when switched on.

And Topping supposedly replaces the devices but does not replace the repair of the headphones.
This is strange for the Chinese, who think a lot of themselves and care that everything is done to their satisfaction.
But if you have already ordered from Aliexpress, you know they can do otherwise.

Maybe it is only a small part that is affected.
Where maybe just under 100 units are affected.
Maybe even less.

As mentioned, itā€™s the holidays, the best thing to do if you have a unit that is affected. Use the time to send the amplifier to China during the holiday period, by the time it arrives they will be open again and can take care of the matter.
So that you can get an answer and a reaction more quickly.

And for those who have one, we can only recommend not to use it until there is clarity.
Above all, it would be annoying to have to buy new headphones during the Corona period.

I hope that Topping will solve the problem better and at least refund a part of the price for the damaged headphones, which would be better than nothing.
It is clear that even if a whole batch is affected and 500 defects have been reported, it will be difficult to please everyone.

2 Likes

Been lurking the forum for 2monthsā€¦visiting 2-3times everyday. Finally registered to get involved with this thread.
Bought E30+L30 at the end of November and Iā€™ve been really happy with them in conjunction with DT1990s (upgrading from Mayflower ARC Mk2 + K712s).

However, as the amazon extended return window closes for me at the end of January this L30 ā€œissueā€ has me slightly concerned.

Considering to return L30, can I please have a recommendation for an alternative;
Looking at the ATOM-Magni 3+/Hersey-Asgard 3.

1990s arenā€™t too bright for me, will the Asgard be a significant change in sound signature to the L30?
I read that the A3 is warmer, will it quell the analytical nature of the beyers that Iā€™m enjoying so much for gaming?
Thanks

P.S apologies if my question is inappropriate for this thread.

1 Like

Hi. Welcome to HFGF. Iā€™ll move your post to the official L30 thread when I get a moment and answer your question there. Iā€™ll need a few minutesā€¦

EDIT: Moved from ā€˜PSA: Topping L30 Damaging Headphonesā€™ thread.

Hereā€™s my take on a bunch of <$200 headphone amps:

The short answer is ā€˜noā€™. The A3 is class-leading in its spatial reproduction. One of its standout features at the price point is how well it does soundstaging and imaging. It will actually enhance the 1990ā€™s abilities from what youā€™ve heard with L30 in that regard. If the A3 is more than you want to spend the Magni 3+ likely does that the next best, at least from your list.

The E30 dac is still a fine product as far as I know. So hang onto that one for now.

1 Like

i saw your comment got moved. dont worry this isnt ASR where you will be murdered for asking a question about the sound of an amp. to be fair most dont have much difference however measurements cannot equal the human ear and brain as far as sound goes so amps to have a sound just know it is minimal at best and usually at high volume only. the asgard 3 is regarded as the better amp with more warm sound (not warm like tube at all just slight) and more power. so get it if you can afford it. otherwise the 3+ and heresy are identical maybe slight improvement to the 3+ being a discrete circuit with the schiit ā€œhouse soundā€ if you believe in that. and slightly less power then asgard

4 Likes

Thanks so much to both WaveTheory & Gruntslayer for their rapid response to my query! (Sorry Iā€™m not sure I could directly reply to 2 users with 1 post).

The information youā€™ve given me is exactly what I was wanting to hear.
As previously stated I am very happy with the performance of L30, beautifully stacked with the E30 aswell. However, the ā€˜allegedā€™ increased possibility of potentially damaging my 1990s which werenā€™t cheap leads me to edge on the side of caution and take the ā€œbetter to be safe than sorryā€ approach.

Thanks again Lads, Iā€™ll be proceeding to order some piece oā€™ Schiit gear :smiley:

2 Likes

yeah i had the l30 in my cart and will be going with schiit products. i like supporting american companies over chinese ones any day. they really did damage to their brand the past couple days even on ASR who suck them off daily. also you can tag people in posts by typing ā€œ@ā€ and the name of the person. good luck. buying a asgard 3 today as well. cant wait.

2 Likes

I would say that if you already own an L30 you have a couple of choices.

1. Get rid of itā€¦

2. Do not have HPā€™s plugged in when you turn it on. Give it some time after power up before you connect HPā€™sā€¦

off-topic: next to @-ing people like Gruntslayer mentioned, you can select part of someone elseā€™s post and quote them, thatā€™ll also give them a notification that you replied.

on-topic: you can also consider the Monoprice Liquid Spark, though itā€™s not easy to get by out side of the US (donā€™t know where youā€™re shopping).